First Post and Question On Set 120 Power or Control Amp

jsoto

Hello :wave: this is my first post :smile: I wanted to ask for some advice on choosing between the Set 120 power amp or control amp?

I currently only use a streamer which has a digital preamp option, so I could just use the Set 120 power amp and control the volume using the digital preamp.

It would be interesting to learn if one of the models is better sounding, or they sound the same. Also, would it be better to get the passive volume control and the extra inputs now, or get a preamplifier in the future if needed (maybe even a fet valve cf rb)?

The streamer we have is the Cambridge Audio CXN v2, and I don't know how good/bad the digital preamp option is. When I use it the only thing I notice is that the attenuation from one step to the other is very coarse as there are only 30 steps, and on some recordings I wish there where more so I could adjust the volume level more finely (other recordings are just fine).

We have a Yamaha AS801, which we really like, but I have been looking into getting a better amp for some time now. Right now we also have the Schiit Aegir at home, which arrived last week and still has some days left on the 14 days trial period.

I am thinking about sending the Aegir back, as we like the sound but did't find the difference we were hoping when compared to the Yamaha. Here is where the volume control option also comes into play, as I have been using the Yamaha with it's built in preamp and the Aegir with the digital preamp option built into the CXN v2.

We have a pair of Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend Mk.II as primary speakers, and a pair of Sony SSCS5 that make occasional appearances. Interestingly enough, I found the sound of the Aegir more convincing with the Sony's than with the Zu's.

Thank you in advance for any help on this. Also, any thoughts on the Aegir vs Set 120 (power or control amp) would be highly appreciated.

Please note that as a new member I can't search the forum yet, thanks again!

sunnydaze

Re: First Post and Question On Set 120 Power or Control Amp
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2021, 11:06 pm »
Welcome to the board.   :thumb:

If you do end up pairing the AVA Control amp (or even the regular amp, for that matter) with your Dirty Weekends, I'd love to get your feedback on the synergy.  I own the same speakers and am considering the Control amp.  Streamer is BlueSound Node 2i.

Thanks!

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2021, 11:30 pm »
I have nothing to add except WELCOME!

Paul

Komoyuki

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2021, 01:50 am »
I have used the Cambridge with a Bryston 4bsst2 for a long time and loved it. The CXN is a very nice component but the only thing I can complain about is the volume adjustment which is not precise. Is the preamp circuit as good as one from AVA, I doubt it. But I am convinced that associated with a SET 120, you would have good results

floresjc

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2021, 02:07 am »
I bought the control amp a few months ago, I needed a compact system for my workout room. I basically plug my laptop into a Schiit Modi dac and use that to feed the control amp and it's fantastic sound.

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2021, 04:36 am »
I bought the control amp a few months ago, I needed a compact system for my workout room. I basically plug my laptop into a Schiit Modi dac and use that to feed the control amp and it's fantastic sound.

Speakers?

morganc

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2021, 05:01 am »
I paired a Vision 120 with my Spatials while my main amp was being repaired and loved it.  I love the Zu speakers but have not heard the DW with the AVA but don’t think you can go wrong with it.  I’d recommend pairing it with a tube pre if at all possible when your budget allows. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2021, 03:11 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC jsoto   :thumb: 

genjamon

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2021, 06:14 pm »
I have the Zu ODW speakers as well (with tweeter caps updated to Miflex copper foil) and auditioned the SET 120 about a year and a half ago.  Also had a buddy with the bigger brother to the SET 120 bring it over to compare.  They had a very similar sound, for sure.  The SET 120 sounded great with the ODW.  My buddy preferred it to my Odyssey Kismet stereo amp, but after a more extended comparison during the trial period, I ultimately preferred the Kismet amp.  But I easily could have lived with the SET 120 and there were some aspects of it that I preferred to the Kismet. 

In my opinion, it's a great match to the ODW.  It has a bit warmer presentation than my Kismet (though I was using Furutech fuses on the Kismet, which thin the sound just a touch while adding transparency - and the SET 120 just had standard type fuses), which gives it a nice solid character in the important power region for frequencies - great for rock, and transparent enough for all types of music.  A nice natural tone for sure.  And while not the ultimate in transparency, details were very good and certainly didn't feel anything was missing while listening.  The overall frequency balance and tonal character did remind me of the sound of my Line Magnetic 518ia 845-based SET tube amp, though I wouldn't say that the SET 120 sounds like a tube amp.  I'm just saying the 845 amp also has a similar strength in the power region and similar general warmish tone.  And frankly, my Line Magnetic amp just rocks the ODWs - very addictive sound. 

So again, I think the SET 120 is a great combo with the ODW.  That said, the ODW are crossoverless and have the potential to show the benefits of more transparent amps too.  It all depends on your priorities and how you balance those priorities along with the other components in your system. 

I have been shopping for a streamer solution myself like the Cambridge you have, the Bluesound Node, and others below around $2k.  From what I've read, the Cambridge is highly respected at the price point for its level of detail retrieval and a bit more natural sound than the Bluesound when used as a full front end rather than just wireless endpoint.  But I've also read that the sound is a bit thinner than higher priced units can be - makes sense, as some things have to give at lower price points.  Given this, I suspect the warmish tone of the SET 120 would fit very well in synergizing the Cambridge with the ODW, which could be fatiguing if fed a thinner or brighter sound.

As for control amp version vs power amp version, just keep in mind the control amp has a higher gain, I believe.  So you might be using more attenuation with your high efficiency ODWs with the control amp than with the SET 120.  That said, I would think the control amp's internal volume control would be preferable to your Cambridge streamer's internal attenuation.  My understanding is that the Cambridge uses software attenuation, which is lossy, so you wouldn't want to be using a lot of it - much more than a few dB of attenuation could lead to significant loss of sound quality. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2021, 07:14 pm »
@genjamon

Thanks so much for that very thorough and helpful report!    :thumb:

floresjc

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2021, 09:42 pm »
Speakers?

Salk Songtowers. Original model.

avahifi

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2021, 10:57 pm »
My suggestion, get the SET 120 Control Amp and just feed your DAC directly to it.  No preamp needed.

I really like the original Songtowers.

Frank

Gyosa

« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2021, 06:36 pm »
I highly recommend the Cambridge 851n vs the CXN ….
Price is a tad more , but worth it.

Can find them on official Cambridge ebay store , refurbished/open box for around 900 bucks occasionally.

Bk

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2021, 08:45 pm »
Welcome to the board!

I went the control amp route - a used Insight control amp - a custom amp made I think by an AVA engineer - and I run a Vision EC DAC into it.

The speakers are the last run of the "Affordable Accuracy Monitors" made by Dennis Murphy (Philharmonic Audio). The amp is rated at 120 watts, the monitors I think are 83-85% rated efficiency, and the system can get pretty loud in a 16x18x8 listening area, and I haven't cranked it much past 2 or 3 o'clock. 3 o'clock with some digital files that are not nearly as loud as others, but still pretty loud. Not using a sub I've cranked it up to 3 o'clock or so (or 7-8 on Nigel Tufnel's Marshall that "goes to eleven") on several really bass-heavy tunes (e.g. the Temps original "Shakey Ground"), and I go upstairs to check out the level up there and I can faintly hear the bass & kick drum.

One thing I really like about this version of the control amp is that it has 2 tape in/outs. I use 1 tape in/out for a cassette deck and run tape out #2 into a sub. I don't think the SET 120 control amp has the tape in/outs.

WOOPS! TMI. I realize I answered a lot of questions you didn't ask. I'm happy as a clam with this setup. Streamlined - fewer components, great sound. You can't go wrong with your current digital source/DAC setup and the SET 120 control amp.