Funkmonkey's Custom HT3s + HTC

AliG

Re: Funkmonkey's Custom HT3s + HTC
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2009, 03:41 am »
what about a little more curvy shape like this?

How many of you still think that this looks like a 'coffin'?

I wonder how much 'extra' Jim will have to charge for it though.

Kris

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jan 2009, 04:48 am »
"Veneer is a very unique Brazilian Rosewood taken from a tree that survived a fire at some point in it's life time, giving it the dark "charred" areas."

Thanks for giving that tree a chance, this planet needs more caring people like you.

funkmonkey

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jan 2009, 09:51 am »
Simply stunning funk  :drool:  Bet you wish there were more hours in the day for listening. Another amazing example of Jim & company's work.

Hope to get to see & hear them this fall at Lincoln, if I understood Mudslide correctly .  :thumb:

Thanks Arthur, I'm still kickin' the idea of moving to the NW around, no solid plans yet.  I have to find some source of income up there first, but I may come up for the GTG anyway.  I I've made the move I would be glad to bring them, if not, well... I'll bring more pictures  :wink:
-Greg

funkmonkey

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2009, 09:57 am »
Thanks guys-  The center channel angle was determined to aim it directly to seated ear height at 9ft.  I figured that that is my current position, and probably as close as I will ever be seated.  If my seating position changes I can simply shim the back of the HTC up to the proper angle.

My wife also felt like the standard HT3 "monkey coffin" shape was not something she could live with, so I asked Jim if he could build a rectangular version.  With a little help from Dennis on the crossover, the result is a speaker that I enjoy and that my wife will let into the house  :thumb:

-Greg

Congrats on the new gear Greg. On the HT center does it have a natural angled front baffle, so that it is naturally angled upward? I do that with my devore center (via a book for now) too after having another center with an angle baffled. I am about 8ft away and center is fairly on the table.

No, the HTC is the standard box shape, I built the TV stand to accommodate it and angled the shelf a few degrees...
Worked out pretty good, I watched a movie last night and for the first time the dialogue was crystal clear.

fishinbob

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jan 2009, 04:16 pm »
+1  ^^

You 've got to love that. It's the Salk signature.

I got my SongCenter a few weeks back and the difference between it and the  :P Klipsh I was using is night and day.

Now you can re-visit all those flicks and hear what you missed.

low.pfile

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2009, 05:18 pm »

No, the HTC is the standard box shape, I built the TV stand to accommodate it and angled the shelf a few degrees...
Worked out pretty good, I watched a movie last night and for the first time the dialogue was crystal clear.

Ah.....an angled shelf! Tricky. Good thinking!

funkmonkey

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2009, 06:12 pm »
For those that asked here are the on axis FR plots that Dennis sent me:

First for the standard angled baffle of the HT3:

and then for the rectangular baffle:

« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2009, 10:36 am by funkmonkey »

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2009, 08:05 pm »
Hmmmmm  Not quite sure why there's a difference in the resonse around 1.5 kHz.  You're sure these were for the coffin vs. the rectangle, and not an on-axis and slightly off-axis plot for the rectangle? 

Boybees

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jan 2009, 09:19 pm »
Funk: congratulations! I think it was about one year ago that you came over to my place and heard my Song Towers - Talk about delayed gratification!

I wonder if you could post details of the rest of the equipment in your system. My apologies if you've done so elsewhere.

Best, Dave

Nuance

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2009, 11:00 pm »
Funk - those are glorious!  It doesn't get any better than that bro!  Enjoy!

Dennis, funk beat me to it, but that second plot is the same one you sent me.  That small dip is there, not that it's audible, though.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #30 on: 14 Jan 2009, 01:15 am »
Hmmmmm  Not quite sure why there's a difference in the resonse around 1.5 kHz.  You're sure these were for the coffin vs. the rectangle, and not an on-axis and slightly off-axis plot for the rectangle? 

Nope--checked my sent mail.  My bad.   I guess there's a tiny difference.  Return the speakers immediately so I can reduce the midrange parallel resistor by 1/8th ohm. 

funkmonkey

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan 2009, 10:39 am »

Nope--checked my sent mail.  My bad.   I guess there's a tiny difference.  Return the speakers immediately so I can reduce the midrange parallel resistor by 1/8th ohm. 

Yeah, that dip has been nagging me since I first plugged them in  :wink:

Actually, it looks to me as if my HT3s are slightly (1dB or so) more hot from 325Hz - 1.25kHz, before the dip.

funkmonkey

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2009, 11:04 am »
Funk: congratulations! I think it was about one year ago that you came over to my place and heard my Song Towers - Talk about delayed gratification!

I wonder if you could post details of the rest of the equipment in your system. My apologies if you've done so elsewhere.

Best, Dave

Hey Dave!  Good to hear from you, thanks for my initiation into the Salk sound asylum, and the introduction to streaming audio. 

The rest of my system consists of (from the source):
FLAC from iMac (on an external HD)->
Modwright Transporter ->
Modwright LS-36.5 ->
Parasound Halo A51 (passive bi-amp config) ->
Salk HT3.

I have an Oppo 983 hooked into the HT bypass of the LS-36.5 and center channel of the Halo for DVDs.  Still waiting for a balanced HDMI 1.3 processor so I can switch everything over to balanced connections.  No BluRay yet, but sometime in the future I will probably check it out.

Cheers,
Greg

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2009, 03:21 pm »

Yeah, that dip has been nagging me since I first plugged them in  :wink:

Actually, it looks to me as if my HT3s are slightly (1dB or so) more hot from 325Hz - 1.25kHz, before the dip.

Arguably there's a little peak in the coffin.  It's just as likely that there's a little difference in the measurement resolution in that area.  Phases of the moon were a little different too.  In any event, Jim will refund the purchase price immediately.

Boybees

« Reply #34 on: 14 Jan 2009, 09:18 pm »

Best, Dave

Hey Dave!  Good to hear from you, thanks for my initiation into the Salk sound asylum, and the introduction to streaming audio. 

The rest of my system consists of (from the source):
FLAC from iMac (on an external HD)->
Modwright Transporter ->
Modwright LS-36.5 ->
Parasound Halo A51 (passive bi-amp config) ->
Salk HT3.

I have an Oppo 983 hooked into the HT bypass of the LS-36.5 and center channel of the Halo for DVDs.  Still waiting for a balanced HDMI 1.3 processor so I can switch everything over to balanced connections.  No BluRay yet, but sometime in the future I will probably check it out.

Cheers,
Greg

Brilliant Greg, simply brilliant. You gave these HT3s everything they would need to sing as majestically as only they can. Looking forward to your writeups of how it all sounds.

Dave

funkmonkey

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jan 2009, 08:21 am »
Thanks Dave, I will do a write up in a few weeks or so...  I really haven't had much time to listen them at all!  It's a darn shame, it is!

Mudslide

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jan 2009, 11:51 pm »
Simply stunning funk  :drool:  Bet you wish there were more hours in the day for listening. Another amazing example of Jim & company's work.

Hope to get to see & hear them this fall at Lincoln, if I understood Mudslide correctly .  :thumb:

Thanks Arthur, I'm still kickin' the idea of moving to the NW around, no solid plans yet.  I have to find some source of income up there first, but I may come up for the GTG anyway.  I I've made the move I would be glad to bring them, if not, well... I'll bring more pictures  :wink:
-Greg

Man, ya go away for a couple of weeks, come back and find people talkin' about you and there's a two page thread on my favorite HT3's.   :thumb:

Congrats (now in triplicate) Greg!  These HT3's are lovelier than my old sunburst Strat. 

Howdy to you, too, Arthur.  The posts you've been seeing from me are meant to (strongly) encourage our friend, the ultra-Funkmonkey, to get his tail up here where he belongs (and wants to be).  I'll likely nag him into coming, even if he's still living down with the smog and gangs when we have the GTG. :wink:  But if that's the case, I don't think he'll want to buy two extra airline seats for the Salks.  (But they would make good company now that I think about it.)  And regarding said GTG, I'll probably start a couple of threads about it in April.  We should know more about the progress on the build at the host's site by then.  (I'm also nagging him to get moving!  Geez, the things a guy has to do.....) 

Good cheer all.

Mud

funkmonkey

« Reply #37 on: 16 Jan 2009, 04:40 am »
Thanks RJ- now triplicate as well.  :D

Looking forward to info about the PacNW GTG.  I still do want to move up there, with all this global warming the climate is going to be perfect.  :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #38 on: 16 Jan 2009, 05:45 am »
^ Global warming?  Yeah right!  No such thing.  In fact, it's the butt of jokes here in the midwest.  :D  The pacNW would be a pretty cool place to live, though, whether you believe in global warming or not. 

PMAT

« Reply #39 on: 16 Jan 2009, 06:52 am »
This is totally inappropriate but I would hump those speakers, ahem, sorry.