Owner willing for an audition in Seattle area?

godawgs5

Owner willing for an audition in Seattle area?
« on: 27 Mar 2008, 06:26 pm »
I would love to have an opportunity to audition a pair of songtowers!  Anyone in the Seattle area willing to accommodate the request and show your system off?  I live a couple hours outside Seattle but visit often on business and would love to have a chance to actually see and hear some of Jim's creations.

Big Red Machine

Re: Owner willing for an audition in Seattle area?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2008, 06:29 pm »
Did you ask here?  I thought someone there was from your neck of the woods.  I've slept since reading the early pages.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13487781&posted=1#post13487781

godawgs5

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2008, 11:30 pm »
I have not yet.  I got busy before I could post on there as well.  Trying both forums to find someone!

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2008, 04:47 pm »
I have not yet.  I got busy before I could post on there as well.  Trying both forums to find someone!

If you don't hear from someone, let me know.  If I recall, I did send a pair to Kent, WA.

- Jim

schw06

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2008, 04:51 pm »
Any owners in Atlanta?

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2008, 06:28 pm »
Any owners in Atlanta?

I don't recall off hand, but I'll check.

- Jim

sanlanman

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2008, 12:27 am »
Any owners in Atlanta?

+1

Any body in Georgia or the Carolinas have V3s or HT3s as well that are willing to give an audition?  :drool:

godawgs5

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2008, 05:54 pm »

If you don't hear from someone, let me know.  If I recall, I did send a pair to Kent, WA.

- Jim

I have not heard from anyone yet.  I am by no means in a rush to audition because of lack of funds...but come summer time that might be different....of course I assume that is when you play more tennis and less time making speakers  :)

Kent, WA is close enough to me to make the trip - for sure!

jam2001

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2008, 02:07 pm »
Did you ask here?  I thought someone there was from your neck of the woods.  I've slept since reading the early pages.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13487781&posted=1#post13487781

BigRed,

You were probably thinking of me.  While I don't have the SongTowers, I PM'd you a couple time regarding some demo music you were going to put together for me.  I didn't hear back from you after the last PM I sent you, but I'm assuming the flash drive never showed up?

BTW, I never checked back in with you guys, but I ended up going with the Rocket 850's.  I found a used pair locally and I'm really pleased with them.  I have no doubt the SongTowers would have been phenomenal, but it was a decision that I struggled with for many days.  In the end, being able to hear the Rockets in person, sealed the deal.

mca

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2008, 03:47 pm »
I am also in the Seattle area and would love to hear the songtowers or any other Salk speakers if there is anyone local

miklorsmith

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2008, 03:49 pm »
I'd come with mca to any such demo.   :D

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2008, 12:01 am »
Greetings All,
Newb here, so first allow me to 'Thank' the creators, maintainers, facilitators and all the contributors to this forum. I've been reading, enjoying, and attempting to digest much of the valuable information and opinions offered freely and without attitude for almost 2 years now. Much has been of benefit, much will remain over my head.

For information, as everyone has their opinion, some systemic background. Have been out of the hobby for close to 20 years as far as trying to track what's going on equipment-wise, it just got to be too much. Both research & cost-wise. 1st system in the early 70's was Marantz 1060 integrated with matching Tuner, Teac cassette deck, and Advent Utility Speakers (wish I'd spent the extra $14 each for the wood veneer). The speakers remain (re-coned by SpeakerLab locally), all else long gone. Next step was home built Hafler DH-200 & DH101, and a Pioneer 3 Hd deck. Had a cold solder that was never found in the 101 so traded up to a factory built 110 a few years later. Sadly it had the same problem and was 'forced' to live with it for years as two trips to the factory couldn't find/fix it. Only dropped a channel occasionally, and a good thump on the top would bring it back for a bit. Around the same time upgraded to a Nak 586 cassette (great deck), and some Aiwa micro components. A Digital PLL Tuner, and Timer, which at the time were well built & cutting edge. Still have the timer, am told the the board on the Tuner is not replaceable due to age or it would still be working. Next upgrade was speakers, Dahlquist DQM-7s. These are currently in service in my office, also re-coned due to disintegration of the foam on the woofers. Sadly Magnat is no longer around, but again SpeakLab did a good recone job. And at least to my ear these are still fine sounding speakers.

What brought me to the Circle was a friend of 25 yrs who not only has much the same musical tastes, but the same equipment tastes. He had his DH 200 rebuilt a number of years ago by Mr. Frank Van Alstine. I had toyed with the thought for years for my unit. Last year I started getting back into researching things, and via the AVA site was brought here. In the last 18 months I've upgraded my main (totally) & secondary systems (partially). Also thru some remodeling/repairs a couple of years ago I've created a small A/V area (approx 14'x10'), utilizing the front half of a room. Not ideal due to a fireplace bump out, but suffices to get away from the TV for serious listening and movie viewing.

At this point I'd like to publicly say "Thanks" to both Frank Van Alstine and Jim Salk for their fine equipment, work, devotion to the art/science of quality sound reproduction, and equally fine customer service. Frank was kind enough to replace a tube in the T8 when it got noisy even though not a warranty item, as well as spend the time to help me noodle out the 5.1 setup for HT with the T8 Pre & 260/3EX, since the T8 doesn't have the EPL of the Ultra preamps. My order to Jim was as a result of his association with Frank, comments here regarding his equipment & work, and was at a good/bad time. It was relatively early in the production of the Song Towers (last August), and just prior to the RMAF. It took a while to get them, and we had some bumps in the road, but he was most generous and gracious in helping me over the bumps. All of this brings us to why this post is here - I have the Kent Song Towers (& a Song Center to boot).

And, "Yes", after some hesitation, I believe a listening session can be arranged for those interested. There are some extraneous considerations that prevent specific scheduling at this moment, but we should be able to pull something together in the not too distant future. The consideration being removal of my existing roof & replacement with new.

As I have read the many postings in the various areas/circles I would say I'm probably a mid-fi enthusiast as opposed to many here. Your call on that. I realize that tweaking a system is like tweaking a car, both fun & expensive in most cases. As stated above I've pretty much searched for the system that filled my wants/needs and then let it roll. It's nice to be back to really listening to the music, and expect to stick pretty close to what I now have for some time to come.

(Will have to play with all the various buttons and smileys at the top of this since as noted it's my first post and don't have a clue what does what or where, and they do add an extra sense to content.)

Anyway, as to the Song Towers specifically I have the natural Cherry finish which is lovely. Sound-wise I can't really state much more than has been echoed by many other owners more eloquently than I could. Possibly the only new factor would be the size of my listening area, smallish by comparison to others I believe. I figured by the time I chose another monitor or bookshelf type speaker and added a stand the footprint would be the same, and as I have a 55 lb dog that tends to get rambunctious they are much less susceptible to being knocked about. I like quality sound at low to mid levels, the Hafler rebuild (250EX) drives the 2 channel system with the Towers, the 260/3EX picks up the Song Center and Outlaw Bookshelfs for the surround. Don't believe I've had the volume above 10:00, maybe 11 on the dial. Probably also related to the space they are in (it's pretty loud at than point), and am only able to space them about 7' apart. At that, the imaging and soundstage are still outstanding. Undoubtedly due to Jim & Mr. Murphy's special talents. Allow me to add "Thanks" to Mr. Murphy for his considerable contribution to the quality of the Song Towers reproduction. My musical preferences are fairly eclectic, jazz & classic rock being primary choices. Unlike Billy Bob's Country Bunker, I don't have both kinds of music - country & western. Not a commentary, simply personal taste. So far haven't listened to anything the Towers weren't capable of handling without breaking a sweat.

Apologies if this has rambled on too long, so enough for now. Am a world class procrastinator and been meaning to do this for a couple of months, so now it's done. Hope I haven't bored anyone to tears, any future postings will be brief, more later, and will advise as soon as I have a better grip on the schedule as to when I can accommodate a small (?) group for listening. For all of us on the fringes of the hobby, again Thanks to you all for the spirit with which you share your experiences and knowledge.

mca

« Reply #12 on: 4 Apr 2008, 12:36 am »
Arthur,

I want to say thank you for you post and welcome to AudioCircle. Sounds like a great system you have put together and I can't think of a better way to get into this hobby than taking advantage of the great products guys like Frank and Jim have to offer.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2008, 01:10 am »
"- I have the Kent Song Towers (& a Song Center to boot)."

Hi Arthur    Thanks for taking the time to post all of that.  It caught my eye particularly because I have Frank's Hafler mod (someone gave it to me long before I knew Frank).  It runs circles around my much more expensive Marsh amp.  I'm very happy you're enjoying the Song Towers.  One question--it's a little late, so I may have just blanked out, but I didn't get the reference to the "Kent Song Towers."  Could you remind me what that refers to?   Thanks. 

GloP

« Reply #14 on: 4 Apr 2008, 01:44 am »
I am near Seattle (Redmond) and I have the HT3 on order. Should get them soon (been a couple months now), I'll let you know when I receive them   :thumb:

ArthurDent

« Reply #15 on: 4 Apr 2008, 02:13 am »
Mr. Murphy,
The 'Kent' reference was in regards to an earlier post by Jim in reply to Godawgs5, noting he hadn't sent any Song Towers to Seattle proper, but recalled sending some to Kent. Actually I'm outside of Kent, but it is half way between Seattle and Tacoma, and just a touch East. Much like LaFayette is half way (or so) between Chicago & Indianapolis, where I grew up (Indy). At the current growth rate it's not unlikely the Towers will be relocating to Montana in a few years. Too much traffic, though the scenery is spectacular, and weather temperate. Hate that humidity  :thumb:

mca - Thanks for the welcome.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2008, 02:19 am »
Now I get it.  Just wanted to make sure you hadn't bought a used pair from a disgruntled owner named Kent.  Been through Indy many times on the way to from D.C. to my home town of Urbana, Illinois.  Indy and Urbana are, uh, flat.

jam2001

« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2008, 05:30 am »
Mr. Murphy,
The 'Kent' reference was in regards to an earlier post by Jim in reply to Godawgs5, noting he hadn't sent any Song Towers to Seattle proper, but recalled sending some to Kent. Actually I'm outside of Kent, but it is half way between Seattle and Tacoma, and just a touch East. Much like LaFayette is half way (or so) between Chicago & Indianapolis, where I grew up (Indy). At the current growth rate it's not unlikely the Towers will be relocating to Montana in a few years. Too much traffic, though the scenery is spectacular, and weather temperate. Hate that humidity  :thumb:

mca - Thanks for the welcome.

Arthur,

I wish I would have known that you had the SongTowers and the Song Center!  I live in Federal Way and would have loved to heard them.  I asked a lot of questions, but in the end, I couldn't pull the trigger without auditioning them first.  As I mentioned, I ended up going with the Rocket 850's, but now I'm bummed!  :duh:

ArthurDent

« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2008, 02:27 pm »

Arthur,

I wish I would have known that you had the SongTowers and the Song Center!  I live in Federal Way and would have loved to heard them.  I asked a lot of questions, but in the end, I couldn't pull the trigger without auditioning them first.  As I mentioned, I ended up going with the Rocket 850's, but now I'm bummed!  :duh:

jam,

Sorry I wasn't in a position to chime in earlier. As noted there were bumps on both ends. While ordered last Aug the Towers weren't in the system, up & running until slightly over two weeks ago. The HT 5.1 wasn't configured & run until a week ago. Doubt the Towers have 30 hours on them, the Center 6. The HT is scheduled for balancing this evening. Am self-employed and work takes precedence over play time.

FWIW as has been noted before, and as restated by Jim to me recently, his policy is satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. Hard to go too far wrong on that deal. That combined with all the positive feedback/comments on his other speakers and service here were the reason I chose to take the leap 'sight' unseen/heard. Tho I understand it is much nicer to be able to check things out in person first.

Not familiar with them, but would have to believe you made a viable choice for your system with your Rockets.

godawgs5

« Reply #19 on: 8 Apr 2008, 06:50 pm »
ArthurDent  - Welcome to the forum!

Glad to hear there is someone local that has a pair of SongTowers and even a SongCenter to boot!!  I think we all would be interested in your thoughts on the SongCenter since it does not receive as much press as the towers - when you get a little more quality listening time with them of course.

Let me know if and when you might be able to welcome me in your home for an audition.  I would greatly appreciate that.  And your music tastes seem right up my alley...I am not a country music fan..Just tell me when, where and how much food/beverages to bring..