Austin08

Re: AKFest 2012
« Reply #40 on: 2 May 2012, 05:37 pm »
”Raalminator”

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #41 on: 2 May 2012, 05:46 pm »
Snapped a few pictures with my iPhone while in the Salk Room.    Looking forward to having the SS8's.  Though my hubby was going to faint when I told him I thought we needed to have the SS8's instead of the HT2-TL's!! 

Wow, color me extremely impressed. My wife won't even notice/care about the difference between the television's built-in sound on versus my speakers.

Of course, there ARE strings attached and I'll get a new horse yet - i think he should get me "Cool N Shamless"!   LOL

We already have 5 horses - I am running out of bribes options!!!!

Nuance

« Reply #42 on: 2 May 2012, 05:46 pm »
Salk Revalator or Revelation.
Salk Inspire
Salk Invigorators
Salk Prodigy
Salk Illusions

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #43 on: 2 May 2012, 05:50 pm »
"Let the naming begin"

Slight difference if this is the name for this speaker model or for a potential line based on this design...

Given the driver name, I'm drawn to "Salk Lumen". 

or

Salk Purity
Salk Truth
Salk Lucidity

........Peter

jd3s wife

« Reply #44 on: 2 May 2012, 06:47 pm »
Tom it was nice meeting you as well!  So with 2 girls showing horses you're well aware of how costly the "hobby" is as well!  LOL  Horses have been my hobby for more years than I'd like to admit although I have slowed down considerably.  After a few years of working the show office instead of being in "the pen", i'm ready to get back out there!   

Peter - I got a good chuckle outta Cool N Shameless and thought about a screen name change as well!   :angel:   And yes, I'm a bit partial to Palomino and Buckskin colors but I've actually seen a variety of veneers from light to dark that I'd be happy with. Jim does such a remarkable job it's no wonder I've been okay with jd3's Salk upgraditis (haha ask John what i thought of the Vivid's).  :nono:     BTW, my pictures do not do these speakers justice - you really have to see them up close and personal to truly experience beauty of a Salk!

Frans
- 5 horses?  That's it??  :shake: 

Happy listening everyone!  If any of you get to Northern Michigan and want to audition the SS8's I'm sure jd3 would love to show them off!! 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #45 on: 2 May 2012, 07:24 pm »
"Let the naming begin"

Slight difference if this is the name for this speaker model or for a potential line based on this design...

Given the driver name, I'm drawn to "Salk Lumen". 

I gotta jump in here.  I helped design the information box you find on light bulb packages if you ever bother to look.  It expresses light output in "lumens."  Like 800 lumens.  I did some consumer research before I left the FTC, and determined that after decades of lumens disclosures, nobody knows what the freak a lumen is.  We may as well have called them "bazongs."  Don't doom the new monitors to the same fate as the light bulb packages.  Bazong.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm    Salk Ba.....     Probably not.

pstrisik

« Reply #46 on: 2 May 2012, 08:07 pm »
I gotta jump in here.  I helped design the information box you find on light bulb packages if you ever bother to look.  It expresses light output in "lumens."  Like 800 lumens.  I did some consumer research before I left the FTC, and determined that after decades of lumens disclosures, nobody knows what the freak a lumen is.  We may as well have called them "bazongs."  Don't doom the new monitors to the same fate as the light bulb packages.  Bazong.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm    Salk Ba.....     Probably not.

Quite the claim to fame Dennis!  The next time I'm in Home Depot with my wife, I'll tell her I talked to the guy who......

Actually, I think Lumens in that sense are important more now that we have to figure out what the heck we are getting with LED lighting.  It used to be only watts were considered in choosing incandescents.  With compact flourescents, we depended on watt equivalents.  With LEDs, who knows how bright it is?  I actually wish they would include lumens more on LED packages, but probably won't until they are actually brighter!

With speakers though, it is conotation more than denotation.  What does the word conjure?  I think Lumen has a mystical, lyrical sound and does connote light in some way for most people.  Plus it is the name of Dexter's girlfriend!   Wink2

........Peter

TomS

« Reply #47 on: 2 May 2012, 08:20 pm »
OK, no lumens, so make it "Luminaire" with flair

Saturn94

« Reply #48 on: 2 May 2012, 08:29 pm »
......  We may as well have called them "bazongs."  Don't doom the new monitors to the same fate as the light bulb packages.  Bazong.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm    Salk Ba.....     Probably not.

LOL! :lol:

pstrisik

« Reply #49 on: 2 May 2012, 08:32 pm »
OK, no lumens, so make it "Luminaire" with flair

If we are talking connotations, I connote a refrigerator! 

........Peter

Big Red Machine

« Reply #50 on: 2 May 2012, 08:45 pm »
Salk Surprise

...because that is what everyone gets when they find out that much music is playing from such a small speaker and there is no sub!!

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #51 on: 2 May 2012, 09:04 pm »
ok, was kinda curious what the dictionary said for Lumen...was hoping for a synonym or something that would make me sound clever.  According to Dictionary.com:

1.  Optics . the unit of luminous flux, equal to the luminous flux emitted in a unit solid angle by a point source of one candle intensity. Abbreviation:  lm
2.  Anatomy . the canal, duct, or cavity of a tubular organ.
3.  Botany . (of a cell) the cavity that the cell walls enclose.

ok, considering definition number 2 I vote we eliminate "Lumen" right now.   :D

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #52 on: 2 May 2012, 09:24 pm »
ok, was kinda curious what the dictionary said for Lumen...was hoping for a synonym or something that would make me sound clever.  According to Dictionary.com:

1.  Optics . the unit of luminous flux, equal to the luminous flux emitted in a unit solid angle by a point source of one candle intensity. Abbreviation:  lm
2.  Anatomy . the canal, duct, or cavity of a tubular organ.
3.  Botany . (of a cell) the cavity that the cell walls enclose.

ok, considering definition number 2 I vote we eliminate "Lumen" right now.   :D

Well, we could always go with Luminous Flux. 

Gzerro

« Reply #53 on: 2 May 2012, 10:22 pm »
Perhaps put them in the same group as the WOW1, a family of high quality monitor speakers.

The name how about MOM for "MY OH MY!"

Nuance

« Reply #54 on: 3 May 2012, 01:56 pm »
Okay, here's one for the heck of it:

Salk Nuance, because even though it's small it'll capture every nuance of the recording and reproduce it true.  You'd have top buy the rights of the name from me, of course, which could be paid in a pair of speakers or something like that. :lol: J/K. :D

On a completely different note, I may have to change my avatar soon out of shame if the Crew doesn't get their offense in gear.  Sheesh!

dflee

« Reply #55 on: 3 May 2012, 02:13 pm »
Since those that have heard the little guy have been impressed, how about:
Salk Impressions

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #56 on: 21 May 2012, 11:03 pm »
First, let me say thanks to all who visited our room at AKFest.  We had a great time meeting old friends and making new ones.  I get to hear our speakers all the time, so for me, the best part of the show is being able to interact with a great number of individuals who share our passion for high quality sound.

Looking back over the last couple of days, I have to admit that I may have underestimated the demand for high quality bookshelf/stand mounted monitors.  As I mentioned to quite a few people at the show, we never posted the RAAL/Illuminator design on our web site as I thought the demand for a $3500 bookshelf speaker would be quite limited.  Based on the show responses, I may have been wrong.  Both this design and the even smaller WOW1's were very well received.

Since the only thing the RAAL/Illuminator share in common with any of our other speakers is the tweeter, we will need to come up with a name for these.  Any ideas would be welcome.

As for specs, they are 14" tall, 8" wide and 11" deep.  They weigh 26 pounds each (fairly heft for their size).  They are front ported with a slot port.  They are about 84db sensitive.  They have an F3 of 45Hz and an F6 of 40Hz, which is surprising for a monitor with a 5" driver.

Let the naming begin...

- Jim

Reality