BDP-1/2 Recommended Interfaces

Phil

Re: BDP-1/2 Recommended Interfaces
« Reply #500 on: 21 Aug 2015, 02:04 am »
Thanks, DJ.  Appreciate the help. 

No NAS, just a directly connected USB hard drive and thumb drive.  No difference between the two.

Strangely, even though the front panel indicated "MPD ready" it worked normally.  Usually, either a "N" or stop (solid square) needs to appear for it to operate normally.

Why does it initialize differently from time to time (one of three possible alternatives)?   :scratch:

ttsto

« Reply #501 on: 21 Aug 2015, 06:41 am »
Hi Phil,

Apologies if you've mentioned this before in the forum but how are you accessing your music library? Over NAS or via USB hard drive? If NAS, what brand are you using and have you logged into the NAS web browser to see if all the drives are working 100%? Same could be true for your USB hard drive. DO you have a thumb drive that you could test and confirm that it's having the same problem?

And lastly, I've been using a BDP1-USB (same processor as the BDP1) with the latest beta build on it which has been fantastically reliable with a large data base of music read from a NAS. Perhaps James Tanner will chime in and give you his blessing to try the beta build? It's super easy to revert to S2.16 in the event that the beta doesn't work so well.

Thanks,
DJ

If it helps:
I only use NAS, just moved from Zyxel to QNAP HS-251 with 2x3TB WD RED drives. Big difference in noise level, QNAP is very silent, no fans, only passive cooling. If I want to see status of the NAS I use its web interface, there is SMART info about drives.

I have large library of 65ths songs and is managed without problem by BDP1. Now I have double redundancy of the library, the old NAS and the PC, so I am not very concerned about it.

In most of cases I use android phone to control remotely the system, with MPDroid app.

Phil

« Reply #502 on: 21 Aug 2015, 01:25 pm »
If it helps:
I only use NAS, just moved from Zyxel to QNAP HS-251 with 2x3TB WD RED drives. Big difference in noise level, QNAP is very silent, no fans, only passive cooling. If I want to see status of the NAS I use its web interface, there is SMART info about drives.

I have large library of 65ths songs and is managed without problem by BDP1. Now I have double redundancy of the library, the old NAS and the PC, so I am not very concerned about it.

In most of cases I use android phone to control remotely the system, with MPDroid app.
Thanks.  I wonder if the problem isn't completely within the BDP1 and the particular firmware loaded.  Seems like the BDP1 should initialize the same way each time, as it did recently.  The initialization would seem to be detached from the network.  And it appears that the funky operation is related to how it initializes. 

ttsto

« Reply #503 on: 21 Aug 2015, 07:34 pm »
When I change some settings I first visit Music Player Daemon tab because this requires some log in (bryston / bryston)
Then I go to the page where I want to change: for example in Network Interfaces, wait until a gray box appears where is written Ethernet, click on it, then select Static and input values, then hit Apply. Normally a reboot should happen after this.

Other way to do it is to edit file network.eth0.set from mnt/img share; content of the file in my case is:

Interface;eth0
Type;wired
Mode;static
Address;192.168.1.155
Mask;255.255.255.0
Gateway;192.168.1.1

Dave Jameson

« Reply #504 on: 21 Aug 2015, 08:35 pm »
Thanks, DJ.  Appreciate the help. 

No NAS, just a directly connected USB hard drive and thumb drive.  No difference between the two.

Strangely, even though the front panel indicated "MPD ready" it worked normally.  Usually, either a "N" or stop (solid square) needs to appear for it to operate normally.

Why does it initialize differently from time to time (one of three possible alternatives)?   :scratch:

Hi Phil,

Usually the stop icon would have to be displayed with the BDP1 before it's truly ready for you to work with it. I always wait for "N" to disappear. But yeah there are certainly some  inconsistencies here. I know Chris at Bryston is working on a complete rebuild of MM and hopefully it solves these issues. So far the beta builds have been a step forward, though they each have their own unique but minor glitches.

I have been having an issue with MM via Safari browser on both OS and iOS re: I cannot edit the playlist. Actually sometimes the whole screen becomes unresponsive, requiring a refresh. This was an old problem that was once solved. And it will get solved again :) But sometimes the BDP has to be rebooted to get the web interafce to work. Maybe these and your own issues are the result of the same thing? I haven't had any problems with Google Chrome though.

DJ

Phil

« Reply #505 on: 22 Aug 2015, 02:38 am »
Hi Phil,

Usually the stop icon would have to be displayed with the BDP1 before it's truly ready for you to work with it. I always wait for "N" to disappear. But yeah there are certainly some  inconsistencies here. I know Chris at Bryston is working on a complete rebuild of MM and hopefully it solves these issues. So far the beta builds have been a step forward, though they each have their own unique but minor glitches.

I have been having an issue with MM via Safari browser on both OS and iOS re: I cannot edit the playlist. Actually sometimes the whole screen becomes unresponsive, requiring a refresh. This was an old problem that was once solved. And it will get solved again :) But sometimes the BDP has to be rebooted to get the web interafce to work. Maybe these and your own issues are the result of the same thing? I haven't had any problems with Google Chrome though.

DJ
Thank you.  Very helpful. Much appreciated.  Seems there is a safari issue, which is the only browser I use.  I'm sure Chris will get it working.  He does amazing work. 

Phil

Phil

« Reply #506 on: 22 Aug 2015, 02:39 am »
When I change some settings I first visit Music Player Daemon tab because this requires some log in (bryston / bryston)
Then I go to the page where I want to change: for example in Network Interfaces, wait until a gray box appears where is written Ethernet, click on it, then select Static and input values, then hit Apply. Normally a reboot should happen after this.

Other way to do it is to edit file network.eth0.set from mnt/img share; content of the file in my case is:

Interface;eth0
Type;wired
Mode;static
Address;192.168.1.155
Mask;255.255.255.0
Gateway;192.168.1.1

Thank you.  Very helpful.  Will give that a try. 

Phil

« Reply #507 on: 23 Aug 2015, 04:53 am »
BDP1 will not play the playlist.  see previous messages.  MPD:  18.21  Firmware:  S2.11  2015 - 06 - 19     iMac OS = 10.10.5   This isn't a browser issue.

Gnome runs on my iMac via Fusion, within which windows runs.  Gnome is able to connect to the BDP but provides this error message when "play" is selected:  Failed to open audio output. 

Safari doesn't provide a message but does not work; likewise IE in windows. 

Any suggestions welcome.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #508 on: 23 Aug 2015, 05:41 pm »
check the services settings page for any extra playback services that might have been accidently turned on and check audio devices to ensure they are being picked up and not disabled.

Cheers,
Chris

Phil

« Reply #509 on: 23 Aug 2015, 06:48 pm »
check the services settings page for any extra playback services that might have been accidently turned on and check audio devices to ensure they are being picked up and not disabled.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks, Chris.  Services = MPD, SAMBA, USB mount  CPU = 16.4%      Audio devices = Juli ICE 1724 enabled and Juli ICE 1724 IEC 958 DISabled.  Yesterday, I reinstalled the firmware hoping that might change things.  It didn't at that time, but operating normally this morning.  The initialization process ends at "MPD ready."  Previously, it ended at the stop symbol. 

Spyman

« Reply #510 on: 23 Aug 2015, 10:42 pm »
Phil,

At one time one of my audio devices was disabled and I couldn't play anything either. I believe both Juli devices should be enabled. Try it and see.

Terry

Phil

« Reply #511 on: 23 Aug 2015, 10:58 pm »
Phil,

At one time one of my audio devices was disabled and I couldn't play anything either. I believe both Juli devices should be enabled. Try it and see.

Terry
Thanks, Terry.  Will try it.

Phil

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #512 on: 24 Aug 2015, 02:28 am »
Thanks, Chris.  Services = MPD, SAMBA, USB mount  CPU = 16.4%      Audio devices = Juli ICE 1724 enabled and Juli ICE 1724 IEC 958 DISabled.  Yesterday, I reinstalled the firmware hoping that might change things.  It didn't at that time, but operating normally this morning.  The initialization process ends at "MPD ready."  Previously, it ended at the stop symbol.

both audio devices should be in white labels with buttons labeled as "disable" next to them.

Phil

« Reply #513 on: 24 Aug 2015, 01:52 pm »
both audio devices should be in white labels with buttons labeled as "disable" next to them.

Thanks, Chris. I'm only going to read the manual when my brain works.   Very cool that through MM you provide a USB output connection for the BDP1, including DSD output.

Great stuff.

Phil

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #514 on: 24 Aug 2015, 02:46 pm »
Thanks, Chris. I'm only going to read the manual when my brain works.   Very cool that through MM you provide a USB output connection for the BDP1, including DSD output.

Great stuff.

Phil

fixed then?

Phil

« Reply #515 on: 25 Aug 2015, 01:43 am »
fixed then?

Yes, fixed.  Thank you, Chris, for answering my question rather than simply saying rtfm.  Much appreciated.  Will try the USB interface when time allows (just curious). 

Phil

MoPac

« Reply #516 on: 21 Oct 2015, 01:47 pm »
  Have a very strange issue with MPAD.  There are, in some cases, two albums shown for the same artist in "Album" view: one showing the album art and all the tracks, and one blank album art with the notation  "???? -0 tracks - 0:00".  This blank album art does not show in "Artist" view.

Found out why this blank album shows.  It's probably a very rare, but if you have an album folder containing tracks of different codecs this blank album will show.  In my case the album had one WAV track mixed in with the FLAC tracks.  Do this to fix:
1.   Delete the offending album from the BDP.
2.   Update MM.
3.   Open MPAD to update DB.
4.   Close MPAD.
5.   Fix album so all tracks are the same codec.
6.   Copy fixed album to BDP.
7.   Update MM.
8.   Open MPAD to see if that phantom, ????, 0 Tracks, album is gone.
 I suppose you could convert the odd track in the BDP folder, but I did not try that.
    Rich   

MoPac

« Reply #517 on: 22 Oct 2015, 08:00 pm »
  All album art is in the folder with the tracks.

Another Weird MPAD Thingy
 I have had the album Herrmann: Symphony No. 1 for some time now.  Just recently downloaded the album Hartmann: Symphonies 1-8.  For some odd reason MPAD showed the art from the Hermann on the Hartmann: Symphony No. 1 ( I split the 8 symphonies up ).  Doing a "Delete Cache" on MPAD caused the art from Hartmann to show on the Herrmann album.  As far as I can see they are spelled differently!  :?
MM showed the art correctly.

The undesirable solution was to change Herrmann to Herrmann, B on the artist folder and the tags.  After an Update on MM all was well.

Does anyone know why this might happen?  What in the software might cause this?

At least it's not as bad as MPdroid where the art is all over the map or around 20% missing.
      Rich

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #518 on: 13 Nov 2015, 06:41 pm »
Anybody with Windows tablets using Chimney? Looks pretty nice on the desktop.

Pironi

« Reply #519 on: 12 Mar 2016, 11:13 pm »
Dear Chris hello from Greece,
I would like to ask you to try and incorporate Greek fonts in the MM.
I thought that the problem was only on the BDP-1 but switching to a BDP-2 the same problem persists.
It has not to do with specific only songs since all Greek songs do not appear correctly.

Thanking you in advance
Spyros