Type 1

Louis O

Type 1
« on: 23 Jan 2011, 11:19 pm »
Hi All,

The type 1 is the entry into the Hoyt-Bedford line.

Prices start at $795 a pair and includes Cherry or Quartered Maple as standard finishes. All the Omega Finishes are available at a $200 option.

The Driver is the Hoyt-Bedford type 1.

This is an all new driver. It's an 8" dual cone and shares the whizzer from the ALN8Omega Alnico driver.
Ferrite motor with wood damping cover.
Extremely fast and articulate.
97dB efficiency
8 Ohm impedance

Type 1 features
Designed and built in house.

3/4" soft wood MDF for stability and 1/4" Hardwood MDF lamination on front and back

Ladder bracing with rear wall diffuser

Omega damping throughout.

Inset driver and attached with 8 brass machine screws and zinc inserts.

3" flared Prescision Port.

System can be run sealed or vented.

Vampire multiway binding posts

Triple lead internal wiring. 2 positive and 1 negative

Best quality wood veneers used on all panels.

Phenolic sheet between MDF and Veneer

Magnet Grills.

10 Year warranty.

Size: 23" Tall x 11" Wide x 11.5" Deep

« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2011, 10:16 pm by Louis O »

melbguy_357

Re: Type 1
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:52 am »
These look great Louis.  8)

I was wondering how the frequency response/sound compares to the Type 2 floorstanders?

Cheers, Stefan

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:01 am »
Hi Stefan,

Many thanks and the type 1 and type 2 are very similar. The both use the same driver, but the cabinet volume and the tuning is different. The main difference between the 2 is the bass response. The type 2 will have a deeper bass. Both models have a very balanced sound.

Thanks,
Louis

melbguy_357

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2011, 12:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply Louis.

I was wondering if you have a specific frequency range for the Type 1 stand mounts?

I'll be replacing a pair of Quad 12Ls and am hoping to get a bit more bass - or at least equal.

AudioAddiction

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2011, 11:12 pm »
The frequency response for the Type 1 is 60 to 18KHz sealed and 48 to 18KHz vented

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2011, 11:17 pm »
Hi Melbguy_357,

AudioAddiction is correct the speakers have a lot flexabilty too.

Thanks,
Louis

MerRev

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2011, 11:27 pm »
  :o  the Zebrawood finish is incredible and I really like the stands too.
Are the stands the Jazz models you referred to a week or so ago?

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2011, 12:44 am »
Hi MerRev,

Many thanks and this is the new Zebrawood. Looks great. This is an optional finish.

The stands are the Lovan Jazz 18. Not too expensive at $150 and sound very good.

The other choice would be the Sound Anchors.

Thanks again,
Louis

hoppy08520

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2011, 02:12 am »
Hello, this speaker looks beautiful.

It may not be easy to answer this question, but how do you think these speakers would work with a single-ended triode amp?

I have an Audio Electric Supply SE-1 signature that works with 2A3 (3.5 wpc) or 300B tubes (7 or 8 wpc). I'm drawn to the Hoyt-Bedfords because of their 97 db sensitivity, but I know there's more to it than just that number.

I'm not necessarily looking for a system that will do everything. This combo would be for a 2nd system in which I would not necessarily need to play Mahler or Rush at high volumes. I would listen to a S.E.T./H-B system for chamber music, small ensembles, etc. I also have Spendor S100 speakers powered by a Music Reference RM-9 amplifier (100 wpc) for when I want go big and deep.

Thanks, Darryl

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:34 pm »
Hi Darryl,

Many thanks for your post and kind words.
The Type 1's will work great with your amp. I know the SE1 very well.

97dB is a major plus, but there is more to it for sure. The speakers are very accurate, fast great at low level resolution, imaging and soundstaging is amazing even with and 8"FR driver, bass is very strong and the ability to switch from sealed to vented operation is huge. Room placement is very easy and break in is fast. They can play loud too.

For $795 a pair in standard finish no better value out there. I stand behind them 100 percent.

Thanks,
Louis

hoppy08520

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2011, 09:10 pm »
Thanks Louis. For the SE-1, what do you think would be better, the Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 or the Omega Super 8 monitor, which has a lower sensitivity?

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2011, 08:34 pm »
Hi Darryl,

If you want to spend Super 8 money you can get Type 4's. These will have built in Subs.

Tonally the Super 8 will have the transparency of the Hemp cone and the mid bass texture of the alnico.

Type 4's are $2500 a pair and are the same as the type 2 in looks with chambers to house the subs. The sub section is powered and set up at the factory to be plug and play. Hook them up as any speaker and plug them in.

Thanks,
Louis

ZLS

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:48 pm »
    Darryl,

You owe it to yourself to hear what a pair of mono subs can do for your system; especially one's that have been specifically tuned to your main speaker. 

FWIW, I am awaiting a pair of type 4's myself having had experience with the dual mono subs previously. 

Louis O

« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:22 pm »
Hi ZLS,

Dual are amazing. It's not about more bass at all. It opens up the room. The soundstage is amazing with the duals.

Type 4's are great way to go. Nice footprint and all in one cab.

Thanks,
Louis

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2011, 03:33 am »
They look amazing for the buck Louis. At 97 db, how would they do in rugged housing with pole mount for use as band PA for small clubs (with a powerd sub)? I would think vocals and clarity would be amazing. How's horizontal dispersion, something needed in a PA?

Louis O

« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2011, 10:50 pm »
Hi Alwayswantmore,

Perfect for PA. I think they would sound amazing in this application.

Making some unique guitar speakers too and an Open Baffle. How about that!

Thanks,
Louis

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2011, 05:53 pm »
Tx. Sending PM.

markjv

Web Site Updates
« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2011, 04:47 am »
Hi Louis -

Will the Hoyt-Bedford line of speakers be located on the Omega web site or will you be having a seperate web site for H-B?  Also, you had mentioned to me via email awhile ago that the Super 3i speakers were going to be listed on the Omega web site.  Is this still the plan?

Thanks

Louis O

« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 2011, 09:06 pm »
 Hi Markjv,

Thanks for your post and I will have a separate site that will be linked with Omega. It's not operational yet. Also the site will have an ecommerce store. The store will have a lot of product and lots of demo and trade ins. Great opportunities for value here. Also the store will have Custom shop. The custom shop will have great new projects and upgrades. I will have my guitar speaker concepts here too.

Working on a one and a half way I started years ago done the right way and some cool variations using the HB drivers.

Working on some great cabinets that are coated not veneered. I do this in house like everything else. This can save a lot of money. Great for subs especially. I have a prototype Type 3 sub ready in Zebrawood and will post pics and more info.

A lot more next week.

Thanks again,
Louis

tabrink

• lake life is good
Re: Type 1 in the most beautiful finish
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2011, 05:29 am »
 :D
Louis said I have something special for you!
Well Louis I have dark office furniture! You know how I whined about how my Super Hemp's and Super 5's have to be dark!
Don't worry these will be special!
Special they are!
My office set up is "main" rig worthy and it feels like Van Morrison is strutting in front of me!!
Thank you Louis!

You tell me if you would have been jaw struck by this master craftsman's work?
Pic tries to say  it all. You get the idea! These Hoyt Bedfords rock! i am also simply  amazed  at how gorgeous they play at low listening levels.
Near field nirvana.
Louis is like Seth over at Virtue. It does not get any more special. These guys just have to please!
Thanks for looking!
Tom