Have 626R drivers, but no crossover parts/schematic - looking for info

glenmurray

Hi everyone,

First, I would have searched the circle for this info, but AudioCircle won't let me search it yet. I'm assuming after I post more I'll be able to.

So, I apologize if this info is out there already-  I rather dislike asking instead of looking.

Anyway, I have the drivers for a pair of 626Rs that I got as a kit a loooong time ago. Never built them.  Now, I no longer have the crossover parts that came with it, nor do I have a schematic or values for the parts.

I could use some help with both the crossover info, and driver info-  were different mids used in different 626rs? I've also got two tweeters per spk- a vertical ribbon, and a smaller round one.

As far as the cabinets go, I'm not looking for max extension on low end- sub will deal with that fine, so I figured I'd do a sealed box- originals were ported, right? Don't see the point, really, of the added complexity if not needed for bass extension.

I'm not sure what size the compartment needs to be for the mid- just know in the end I apparently want to stuff it with lambs wool.  :)

I can post pics of the drivers if there were different ones, if that would help.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Glen

ZAKski288

Hello Glen,  welcome to AC.   So post some pictures of the drivers you have. Interested in what tweeters you have. Link it 626 information.

http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/626R.htm

So the cabinet measures 23 7/8” tall x 10 1/4” wide x 13” deep, front and back panel is 1” thick, sides 3/4” thick.  The mid cabinet is made of 3/8 mdf , measurements are the outside if box 4 3/4” wide x 9” tall x 5 1/2” deep, there is a cleat on each side attached to the front of cabinet. God luck with your build Zak
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2019, 04:57 am by ZAKski288 »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
If it is the QSO626R with FST, here is the crossover schematic:

glenmurray

Thanks guys-  here are pics of the drivers.

Zac or anyone- Do you have measurements on the port? Not sure if I'd rather mess with changing the design or just build them to spec. I have a strong suspicion that those crossover specs would need to change if pretty much anything in the design changes, and I don't really want to go into redesigning the crossover. (I know there is some contention about original/new designs, too- don't much want to get involved in that...)

Any recommendations on the L-pads? I know to use air core chokes, any thoughts what type of caps (given that money is not unlimited- lol) are minimum quality I should use?

So here are the pics:

glenmurray

So, no FSTs.

How big a difference do they make?

Think I'd be better off getting Aurum Cantus G2Si tweeters instead of using these? 

Also, I know at some point Brian made a mod to the Neo panels- anyone know when that happened and what the mod was?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Glen

HAL

• Industry Contributor
I would not mod the NEO panels.  It is not an easy mod and can possibly damage the driver.

If you just solder the wire through the PC board holes on the driver, on both sides of the connection hole, they will work well. 

The G2Si ribbon will work with the schematic I posted.  It depends on what mounting holes are in the existing cabinet. 

You can get the L-Pads from Parts-Express.  The original L-Pads are the 100 watt style.

Stimpy

Also, I know at some point Brian made a mod to the Neo panels...

Your history is reversed.  An early version of the Bohlender Neo panels came first.  The Songistic Monsoon panels you currently own, are the latest panel version that Brian used.  They are correct for your 626R kit.

It looks like you have the standard carbon fiber woofer.  Not the mega-woofers, but still very good.

As to the tweeters, you have the standard Infinity Emit-R, as supplied in the 626-Jr., and the basic 626R.  The FST ribbon tweeter came later.  I'm not sure if your ribbons are Aurum Cantus G2Si tweeters or not?  But at one point, those tweeters were offered with the option of both round or rectangular face plates.  Maybe you have G2Si's with rectangular face plates?

Stimpy

If it is the QSO626R with FST, here is the crossover schematic:

Awesome...!  Do you have any others?  I'd love to get a complete file of Brian's crossover schematics.  That would be so helpful to current and future VMPS owners.

Thanks.   :D

HAL

• Industry Contributor
No other VMPS schematics. 

Came with my two QSO626R kits with FST tweeters.  Brian mailed this one to me as there was no schematic in the kit boxs.

glenmurray

Your history is reversed.  An early version of the Bohlender Neo panels came first.  The Songistic Monsoon panels you currently own, are the latest panel version that Brian used.  They are correct for your 626R kit.

It looks like you have the standard carbon fiber woofer.  Not the mega-woofers, but still very good.

As to the tweeters, you have the standard Infinity Emit-R, as supplied in the 626-Jr., and the basic 626R.  The FST ribbon tweeter came later.  I'm not sure if your ribbons are Aurum Cantus G2Si tweeters or not?  But at one point, those tweeters were offered with the option of both round or rectangular face plates.  Maybe you have G2Si's with rectangular face plates?

Pretty sure the ribbons I've got are Aurum Cantus G2- I don't have anything to go on as far as deciding to use these or instead buying a pair of G2Si's.

Anyone have experience with a head-on comparison between the G2 and the G2Si tweeters? Hard to discern? Knock your socks off different?

Specs are awfully close, but that doesn't mean much.

ZAKski288

Hello Glen,  the port is a 2” x 5 1/2” , 12” to the center from bottom.

The mod on the mid panel were putting the bolts in with the ring connectors on the back to solder to,  your panels look like they were done. You’re in luck.

The L-pad are tweeter 15 watt 8 ohm, (I would upgrade to 50 or 100 watt for tweeters),mid is AT-60H 8ohm (100 watt) parts express # 260-265.

I think those are Aurum Cantus G2 ribbon tweeters,  I would probably just use them. You maybe able to get the round faceplate for them.

Also I included a picture of  626 crossover.

Second pair of 626 crossovers

Here is the information I have on the woofers you have.  MCM used to carry them , Brian cut out the dust cover and glued in phase plug.

« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2019, 06:13 am by ZAKski288 »

glenmurray

Thanks, Zak!