NuPrime ST-10 short review

Genez

NuPrime ST-10 short review
« on: 10 May 2015, 11:40 pm »
Reading about the NuPrime ST-10 recently made me curious to ask about it here.  I have been enjoying the NuForce HAP-100 and STA-100 combination for just about a year. Their engineering prowess has won my full respect.  So, I knew the ST-10 had to be something worth looking into.  After asking about the ST-10 here, Mark Sossa, of Well Pleased AV,  Alexandria, VA was kind enough to offer to send me a loaner to evaluate. 

The differences I heard were both immediate, and subtle.

The ST-10's bottom-end heft brought back memories of a powerful tube amp. I once owned a refurbished Mac MC 275.  KT88's.  Yet, unlike the 275, the ST-10's bass is tighter and well controlled. The heft was there. But, its a heft that a powerful tube amp can not match when it comes to control.  There was also an over all warmth to the sound that again reminded me of tubes.  But, I was also hearing along with that warmth details with a silent background. One that gives what I call a noiseless clarity. I have never heard such clarity and silence together with any tubes I heard before. Not that I heard a great many tube amps.. so to be fair.  Keep that in mind.

Mid-range:  Both the ST-10 and the NuForce STA-100 share this common family trait. Its their mid range. Which is a great place to be. But, the ST-10 hugs its mid-range with a weightier sounding foundation.

The high end:  The high end of the ST-10 has a sweetness that the STA-100 will not match.  That is not to say that the STA-100 is harsh in its high-end.  It is not.  It just does not convey that kind of sweetness that the ST-10 can.  What I heard on certain recordings while listening to the ST-10 was a nice relaxing shimmer to cymbals.

I play drums. Cymbals (and drums) will sound different from room to room. There are bad rooms.. good rooms.. and, there are excellent rooms. Its only in the excellent rooms that cymbals will sound like I heard with the ST-10.  Again, its not to knock the STA-100. For, the STA-100 has also a believably realistic high-end.  But places you in a different kind of room.  One not as sweet with that excellent room type cymbal shimmer.

I only have the NuForce STA-100 to compare directly with at this time.  I found the ST-10 is more relaxing to listen to.  In contrast, the STA-100 has a tendency to make you sit up and take notice. Both good in their own right.  But, not the same. IMHO, I would recommend the ST-10 for someone with a room filling system. One who likes listening to large-as-life imaging. At present..  I listen desktop, near-field, these days. I soon found out that the ST-10 is a bit of overkill for my needs.  Just the same. Its true.  Its a great amp!  ...

Addendum:   Since then I have begun enjoying the benefits of using balanced connections.  In a DESKTOP setting the ST-10 can shine as shown by Steven Stone in his ST-10 review.    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/nuprime-dac-10h-dacpre-and-st-10-power-amplifier/?page=4

« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2018, 11:14 pm by Genez »

rustydoglim

Re: NuPrime ST-10 short review
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2015, 03:29 pm »
Right on. But soon IDA-8 at $995 will replace all desktop, bookshelf and near field system. Even some high efficiency high-end systems will use IDA-8.

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2015, 04:55 pm »
-- SORRY, missed discussion on the other page --

Come on you can't just tease a new integrated like that  :D

I'm assuming IDA-8 is a step up from DDA-100/120? Will it have an analog input? Specs?

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2015, 01:22 am »
-- SORRY, missed discussion on the other page --

Come on you can't just tease a new integrated like that  :D

I'm assuming IDA-8 is a step up from DDA-100/120? Will it have an analog input? Specs?

From Rustydoglim in another thread regarding the IDA-8

The $995 IDA-8 that will be shipping in early June is perfect for you. This is a new design that is jaw droopingly good.
I am still working on the description and spec, but this is what you get and nothing else in the world can get to this at this price level:
100Wx2 @ 8Ohm (your speaker has relatively high efficiency and this is more than enough)
THD+N = 0.0015 and SNR at -135dB   (shocking!)
IDA-8 combines an ultra linear class A input stage with class D power stage in a new design to accomplish the richness of high-end class A sound characteristic with speed and dynamic of class D design.  And it comes with state of the art DAC (less input than IDA-16).

Genez

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2015, 04:03 am »
 :duh:
Sorry.. I did not realize that I started a review in someone else's thread by mistake.   

:thumb:  Turns out. The ST-10 is a terrific amplifier.   Is there some place I can go as to let others know about it, so it can be discussed?   

Sorry... Did not know this was a thread about other things.

Brad

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2015, 06:00 pm »
GeneZ - must be frustrating to have the owner of the company threadcr*p you when you're trying to get the word out about his products   :duh:

Just to keep the confusion up, why not start a new topic on the IDA-8 and re-post your review there  :?

Appreciate your comments on the ST-10, that's an amp I'd considering to partner with the DAC-10.
What are you using for a preamp?

Genez

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2015, 06:14 pm »
Brad...

I am using the NuForce HAP-100.  Excellent little pre-amp. As of yet, NuPrime is not offering any pre-amp. If they consider designing one, it would not hurt along the lines of the HAP-100, but use high quality audiophile discrete op-amps. The HAP-100 utilizes an excellent IC op-amp. One of the best.  But, the way to move the quality up a notch would be by choosing an audiophile discrete op-amp. At least, that is what I have been recommended. Just the same, the HAP-100 is one excellent pre-amp. Hooked up with the ST-10 was like having a family get together.

I just took a peek at the DAC 10. Looks like it could not get much better.  My problem is, I purchased an excellent DAC of another brand recently. So, the use of a pre-amp is all I would be looking for.  Yet, that DAC 10 has a feature that sold me on the HAP-100.  That volume control is one of the very best one can find today.  Many do not realize how good it really is.   

amatuerholic

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2015, 07:30 pm »
Hi Genez,

It seems like you've noticed the preamp Nuprime offers. All I've seen in that regards is the DAC 10 and 10H.  If you think it'll be a better experience, it might be worthwhile to ignore the sunk cost of the other brand DAC and use the Nuprime DAC/preamp as your primary media hub.

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2015, 07:35 pm »
Hi Genez,

It seems like you've noticed the preamp Nuprime offers. All I've seen in that regards is the DAC 10 and 10H.  If you think it'll be a better experience, it night be worthwhile to ignore the sunk cost of the other brand DAC and use the Nuprime DAC/preamp as your primary media hub.

As a NuPRIME Dealer, I tend to agree.

In fact, some of the dealers (myself included) have offered a "bundle" of the DAC-10/H and the ST-10, which is a spectacular combo, hard to beat at any price.

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2015, 07:44 pm »
:duh:
Sorry.. I did not realize that I started a review in someone else's thread by mistake.   

:thumb:  Turns out. The ST-10 is a terrific amplifier.   Is there some place I can go as to let others know about it, so it can be discussed?   

Sorry... Did not know this was a thread about other things.

Why do you feel bad? This is the right place for the review of ST-10 and thanks!

Genez

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2015, 08:04 pm »
As a NuPRIME Dealer, I tend to agree.

In fact, some of the dealers (myself included) have offered a "bundle" of the DAC-10/H and the ST-10, which is a spectacular combo, hard to beat at any price.

I have no doubt that the DAC10/H is a wonderful piece. But, I have no plans, nor desire, to upgrade my new DAC.  Its well respected and I can not fault it. I am not sure about mentioning competitive brands here. But, if I told you, I believe you would agree that its an excellent DAC.  Plays in native mode and uses discrete circuitry.

But, let's stick to the ST-10 for now.  A great amp. Just way too overkill for my audiophile desktop system.  Might be something I will consider upgrading to in the future if I change where I live..  I just do not want all that power now.  Neighbors in apartments have ways of getting your new investment re-boxed and closeted.  :lol:   And, that's a fact.

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2015, 08:23 pm »

But, let's stick to the ST-10 for now.  A great amp. Just way too overkill for my audiophile desktop system.  Might be something I would consider upgrading to in the future if I change where I live..  I just do not want all that power now.  Neighbors in apartments have ways of getting your new investment re-boxed and closeted.  :lol:   And, that's a fact.

:thumb:

And I think that is what RustyDogLim, was commenting on in your review, that you listen "desktop", and need less power.  That is why the IDA-8 reference was made, to let you know, there is a lower priced, desktop, alternative coming soon. although it is an Integrated Digital Solution rather than an amp only.

Strangely enough, I have heard some report of using (or intending to use) the ST-10 with the NuPRIME uDSD for desktop and small room systems.

Just realized there is no photo of the ST-10 in this thread, so here it is:

And

And

Brad

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2015, 09:14 pm »
That would look really good next to the DAC-10 in the rack.... :thumb:

But, the DAC-10 partners quite well with my SEP EL84 amp too.

Back to the regularly scheduled ST-10 coverage:

amatuerholic

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2015, 09:16 pm »
Haha, yeah. I like good-sounding gear, but matching and looking nice is certainly a plus!

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2015, 10:34 pm »
Also regarding the ST 10, they work exceptionally well as a PAIR for those who "biamp" their larger or power hungry speakers, putting out over 300 (closer to 400) watts per speaker.

They can be used as a vertical Biamp, or a horizontal Biamp.

kaka89

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2017, 04:10 pm »
I'm a STA-9 user, would love to have the following additional features

- Trigger! I want to power off my amp!
- Option to choose the sound signature, eg: warm, nature etc 
- If it has a DAC, it should have 2+ Toslink optical inputs (TV and Chromecast Audio, make sense)

traver02

« Reply #16 on: 29 Nov 2017, 02:51 pm »
Also regarding the ST 10, they work exceptionally well as a PAIR for those who "biamp" their larger or power hungry speakers, putting out over 300 (closer to 400) watts per speaker.

They can be used as a vertical Biamp, or a horizontal Biamp.

that is exactly what i have done
2 x ST-10 Vertically  Biamping my beloved Wilson Benesch Vector (Biwired)

a great achievement.