Ncore Improvements

barrows

• Industry Participant
Re: Ncore Improvements-power input wiring
« Reply #320 on: 6 Jun 2013, 10:23 pm »
I went ahead and replaced the skinny stock input wiring for the SMPS 600s with 15.5 AWG Cardas litz.  These are direct soldered into the boards, and to the IEC connector.  It does seem that the result is better slam, and more body/bass weight at higher volume levels.  The stock 18 gauge wire and relatively weak connector always "bothered" me…  I certainly feel this was worth the effort.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Ncore Improvements
« Reply #321 on: 6 Jun 2013, 10:44 pm »
The reason for twisting them in the opposite direction is . . . . Or you are pulling our legs ?
Simple physics/electronics/RF practice with small returns.  You are there.  It is easy to do.  Why not do it?

Dave

cab

« Reply #322 on: 6 Jun 2013, 10:53 pm »
I replaced the input and power wiring from hypex with occ silver served with cotton. The input wiring is an 8 conductor helical weave. I also used dual 16 ga occ silver wire served with cotton for the speaker wire leads. Sounds good to me.....

emailtim

Re: Re: Hypex NC1200 mono blocks listening impressions
« Reply #323 on: 7 Jun 2013, 04:06 am »
Ric

The biggest imporovement you can do to this build would be to follow Bruno's very important directions per his data sheet. 

Section 7.1

Kimber Cable is big on braiding over twisting. 

Would braiding be better than twisting (including the multi-wire harnesses)???

TIA

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #324 on: 7 Jun 2013, 06:56 am »
Would braiding be better than twisting (including the multi-wire harnesses)???

Braiding tends not to be as compact as twisting. You want to minimize the space between the wires.

Twisting is used to minimize interference and stray fields. Braiding is used to minimize skin effect (in litz wire etc.) mainly to improve transmission of high (but not too high) frequencies - not an issue with things like power connections.

cab

« Reply #325 on: 7 Jun 2013, 12:47 pm »
Braiding tends not to be as compact as twisting. You want to minimize the space between the wires.

DEpends on the braid geometry. Some can be compact.

Julf

« Reply #326 on: 7 Jun 2013, 05:40 pm »
DEpends on the braid geometry. Some can be compact.

Sure - but what is the supposed benefit of braiding in this case?

cab

« Reply #327 on: 7 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm »
same as twisting.....had a bunch of 28 gauge occ wire so I used an 8 conductor braid. Didn't think the 28 gauge was enough to simply use one conductor for each signal.

Julf

« Reply #328 on: 8 Jun 2013, 06:33 am »
same as twisting.....had a bunch of 28 gauge occ wire so I used an 8 conductor braid. Didn't think the 28 gauge was enough to simply use one conductor for each signal.

Fair enough - but braiding is not as efficient as twisting in preventing EMF pickup/radiation. The whole idea of twisting is balancing two cables so that they have exactly the same twist and are as close together as possible, so that they balance out each other. With the 8 conductor bunch, you would probably be better off with twisting them in pairs.