L2 Signature Preamplifer - Information and Discussion Thread

Vinnie R.

https://www.vinnierossi.com/l2-preamplifier//

I'll be opening up this thread over the next few weeks as we get closer to production (late August) and have the website
updates completed.

Info and details coming soon!  8)

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2019, 01:45 am by Vinnie R. »

Vinnie R.

*reserved*

Vinnie R.

*reserved*

gene9p

stunning!.............

Stercom

Very, very nice Vinnie! You are tempting me again...wow!

mirekti

Re: L2 Signature Preamplifer - Information and Discussion Thread
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2018, 06:43 pm »
Have you considered adding something like uRendu to the preamp?
Given the size of the case I assume this could be done or...?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2018, 07:15 pm »
Have you considered adding something like uRendu to the preamp?
Given the size of the case I assume this could be done or...?
I think the better solution would be the Convers Digital Hardware module. 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:03 pm »
Hi mirekti,

Yes, I have considered many things, but decided that for the L2Preamp, there will only be
two options for our customers to consider adding (at time of purchase, or afterwards as they
are modules): L2 DAC, and/or L2 Phonostage (simple as that  :wink:)

Hi gene9p and Stercom,

Thank you!  :notworthy:

Vinnie

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2018, 06:10 pm »
Hi mirekti,

Yes, I have considered many things, but decided that for the L2Preamp, there will only be
two options for our customers to consider adding (at time of purchase, or afterwards as they
are modules): L2 DAC, and/or L2 Phonostage (simple as that  ;) )
Vinnie
The Convers is a module that slides in.  Simple as that.   ;)

Vinnie R.

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2018, 07:08 pm »
The Convers is a module that slides in.  Simple as that.   ;)

jtwrace,

I understand, but I have my reasons (which some may or may not accept).  I have to go with my gut feeling on this and feel good about my decisions and what I am releasing to my customers:

- I don't want the noise from a streamer (both conducted and radiated) coupling with the L2 Preamp.  Keep that micro computer (streamer) external. 
- I don't want to have to grow the L2 Preamp size to fit a streaming module (secondary reason).  I am very pleased with the size, aesthetics, and how clean everything is inside with only L2 DAC and L2 Phonostage. 
- I don't want to provide streamer support to customers (set up, networking, bug fixes, oddball issues connecting, etc.).  Even if this is what another company would offer with their OEM streamer module, I decided that I do not want to get into the steamer business or partner up with a company making streamers. 

Everything above also applies to LIO.  If you want to use a streamer, go for it.  Just not in my backyard (product)!  :green:

Vinnie

debjit.g

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2018, 07:19 pm »
The preamp looks stunning and I am sure they sound stunning as well.

Is it a true balanced design or are the balanced input/output given for convenience ? Is it still using sladgeformer VC ?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2018, 07:32 pm »
The preamp looks stunning and I am sure they sound stunning as well.

Is it a true balanced design or are the balanced input/output given for convenience ? Is it still using sladgeformer VC ?

Hi debjit.g,

Thank you!

Yes, the XLR inputs and outputs of the L2 Preamp are both true active balanced stages.

The volume control is not using slagleformers.  It is a discrete resistor ladder attenuator volume control using
silent Pickering England reed relays (no relay "click" sounds when changing volume like the LIO RVC module).

Vinnie

gene9p

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2018, 07:37 pm »
Those that go for the XLRs on the LIO also?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2018, 07:42 pm »
Those that go for the XLRs on the LIO also?

No - the LIO XLR inputs/outputs module option are pseudo-balanced. 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2018, 04:05 pm »
Update 7/26:

Webpage is being updated and now includes the L2 Signature Preamplifier's complete feature list and the new images:

https://www.vinnierossi.com/l2-preamplifier/

Here are some raw images chassis.  You can see how the "bank vault" knobs work - behind the knob is a spring-loaded ball bearing and as the knob turns, the ball goes in/out of the dimples machined into the front panel.  The shaft that is machined into the back side of the knob goes through a brass sleeve bearing that is inserted into the front panel.  This gives a precise feel when selecting input and volume.

- L2 Preamp specifications coming next.

- Details and specs of the new L2 Phonostage and the L2 Dac will be coming soon, and they will go into production at the same time as the L2 Preamp (estimated end of August  :hyper:).

Reminder:  I'll have the L2 Signature Preamplifier (with L2 Phonostage and L2 DAC) and the L2 Signature Monoblocks at the RMAF show this October in two separate rooms.  You don't want to miss this show and I hope many of you can make it this year!  8)

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2019, 01:45 am by Vinnie R. »

TomS

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2018, 04:12 pm »
That is sick, man jewelry at its best. So do we get to tweak that volume knob just for the experience  :green: You may need a "dummy" chassis just for that.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2018, 04:23 pm »
That is sick, man jewelry at its best. So do we get to tweak that volume knob just for the experience  :green: You may need a "dummy" chassis just for that.

Maybe I can just make the bank vault knob on a metal plate - like a new type of fidget spinner.  :green:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jul 2018, 04:40 pm »
Maybe I can just make the bank vault knob on a metal plate - like a new type of fidget spinner.  :green:
$5 per spin.   :lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 26 Jul 2018, 07:45 pm »
Update 7/26:

Webpage is being updated and now includes the L2 Signature Preamplifier's complete feature list and the new images:

https://www.vinnierossi.com/l2-signature-preamplifier/

Here are some raw images chassis.  You can see how the "bank vault" knobs work - behind the knob is a spring-loaded ball bearing and as the knob turns, the ball goes in/out of the dimples machined into the front panel.  The shaft that is machined into the back side of the knob goes through a brass sleeve bearing that is inserted into the front panel.  This gives a precise feel when selecting input and volume.

- L2 Preamp specifications coming next.

- Details and specs of the new L2 Phonostage and the L2 Dac will be coming soon, and they will go into production at the same time as the L2 Preamp (estimated end of August  :hyper:).

Reminder:  I'll have the L2 Signature Preamplifier (with L2 Phonostage and L2 DAC) and the L2 Signature Monoblocks at the RMAF show this October in two separate rooms.  You don't want to miss this show and I hope many of you can make it this year!  8)

Vinnie

Vinnie that looks just wonderful. WOW !!!

charles

soulforged

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jul 2018, 08:35 pm »
Daaaamn!!! Even the bare chassis looks sassy  :wink:

Awesome job Vinnie. I will have to rename my LIO trust fund...

BTW heard the new amps in Axpona and they were brilliant...unfortunately could not spend a lot of time due to the constant flow of eager enthusiasts