AIFF or Apple lossless ?

Arcticdeth

AIFF or Apple lossless ?
« on: 9 Dec 2015, 07:28 pm »
Soon, I will start re importing my music to better sound quality format.

What is the better option? Or are they the same, only aiff is larger file?

I would put music on my iPod hook to preamp, and listen. Wouldn't Apple lossless be better? 

avta

Re: AIFF or Apple lossless ?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2015, 07:36 pm »
Some think AIFF is superior but that's questionable. Try for yourself and see what you think. If you are storing music files on your iPod it may not be practical to use AIFF due to storage limitations.

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2015, 10:00 pm »
Some think AIFF is superior but that's questionable. Try for yourself and see what you think. If you are storing music files on your iPod it may not be practical to use AIFF due to storage limitations.

Yes I agree. AIFF files are large because they are lossless. These files are NOT good for Ipod devices since those devices are best for compressed files, thus enabling one to have more songs to load onto the Ipod. Ipods have very small data storage. Having said that, you can research Itunes a bit, because I think? even if you rip a cd as an AIFF file or download to make an AIFF file when you load an Ipod, Itunes will make a compressed version of the AIFF file just for the Ipod. But I am not sure of this.

brj

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2015, 10:20 pm »
They are both lossless.  ALAC is simply compressed (like FLAC), whereas AIFF is not (like WAV, but with better metadata support).  So basically it comes down to more storage (to hold the larger AIFF files) or more CPU (for converting the ALAC files).  Hard drive prices are always dropping, and the CPU requirements are fairly low, so neither one may be a driver.  Some have stated that they can hear a difference between the two, usually attributing it to the additional CPU overhead needed for compressed formats, but I'd imagine that you'd need an extremely resolving system to have a chance of detecting this.  (In other words, if you haven't treated your room yet, for example, you have far more significant opportunities to improve your overall sound than changing a compressed to uncompressed lossless format.)

For what it's worth, I use AIFF both for my home system and the iPhone that I connect to my iFi iDSD driven headphone rig at work.  (I have enough space on the phone for what I want to listen to at work.)  Of course, I'm handling driver correction digitally before the signal gets to my analog line-level crossover, so perhaps I already have the CPU active enough that moving to ALAC wouldn't matter anyway.  Regardless, I'm not going to consider changing it until I get my own room treatments finished.

Now that I think about, however, I'm likely to transition a 3rd generation AppleTV to network rendering duty in a second system (since I stupidly killed my modded Squeezebox Touch), and that unit might actually find itself CPU challenged with ALAS files.  I'll have to play with it at some point...

srb

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2015, 10:37 pm »
Having said that, you can research Itunes a bit, because I think? even if you rip a cd as an AIFF file or download to make an AIFF file when you load an Ipod, Itunes will make a compressed version of the AIFF file just for the Ipod. But I am not sure of this.

Unless you tell iTunes to "Convert higher bit rate songs to [128/192/256kbps] AAC" when syncing, AIFF files are copied to the iPod uncompressed/unaltered (up to 16-bit/48KHz).  If you stream them from the iPod via AirPlay, I belive they are converted to ALAC for more efficient transmission.

Steve

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2015, 11:44 pm »
I hear distortion/noise with both AIFF and ALAC.  Not sure which is actually worse.  I don't hear these issues with .wav files.  .wav is what I play and this is whats on my iPod.
Steve N.