Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #140 on: 21 Nov 2009, 03:58 am »

Ambassador Satch
Louis Armstrong

cl-840

kenreau

« Reply #141 on: 21 Nov 2009, 06:46 pm »
Duke Ellington - Jazz Party

I was jazzed to find this white label "Demonstration" copy in the used sales bin yesterday.  It's only in VG condition and needs a thorough cleaning, but I thought it might be worth a try for $12.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #142 on: 21 Nov 2009, 07:19 pm »
Interesting find.  I have an original Columbia Six-Eye pressing of it in VG+ condition, but to be honest I like the Classic Records 200g vinyl pressing in stereo better.

Regardless of condition I think you have a nice collectible.  It would great if you can get it cleaned up into playable shape.

--Jerome

orthobiz

« Reply #143 on: 22 Nov 2009, 10:53 pm »
I saw Mute Math and As Tall As Lions recently on a trip to Boston. Great concert at House of Blues.

I need to crack them open and listen!

Paul

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #144 on: 22 Nov 2009, 10:55 pm »

EVOL  sst label  :thumb:
Sonic Youth

1986 Cesstone music

Has a grove lock on side two at the end that i didn't know about and listened to it for 30 seconds before i realized what was going on  :duh:

orthobiz

« Reply #145 on: 23 Nov 2009, 12:36 am »
what's a groove lock?

Paul

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #146 on: 23 Nov 2009, 12:47 am »
what's a groove lock?

Paul

:lol: instead of a grove that spirals into the center of the record it stop and just plays the last grove on the record kinda of a skip in the record on purpose.on a lot of records you would pick this up right away but i thought it was some loop or something that they had going. Have you ever listened to sonic youth. Noise and distorted  music is a norm for them so its kinda a dirty trick  :lol: I hope i made myself clear

ed

kenreau

« Reply #147 on: 23 Nov 2009, 07:02 pm »
what's a groove lock?

Paul

:lol: instead of a grove that spirals into the center of the record it stop and just plays the last grove on the record kinda of a skip in the record on purpose.on a lot of records you would pick this up right away but i thought it was some loop or something that they had going. Have you ever listened to sonic youth. Noise and distorted  music is a norm for them so its kinda a dirty trick  :lol: I hope i made myself clear

ed

I have not heard SY on vinyl before.  Is it sonically superior to the digital version?  I really like Murray Street and Day Dream Nation. 

Kenreau

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #148 on: 24 Nov 2009, 08:18 pm »
The last batch of new vinyl orders arrived today....all Sundazed reissues.

--Jerome

guest48077

« Reply #149 on: 24 Nov 2009, 09:05 pm »
The DENNIS WILSON album above is amazing.

I just came back from a used record store and bought

NEIL YOUNG - Landing on water for 6 bucks

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #150 on: 24 Nov 2009, 09:35 pm »
The DENNIS WILSON album above is amazing.

I hope so.  While I find a lot of Sundazed titles compelling, I have mixed feelings about their mastering.  Some have been truly great, but I have about three that are very shouty whereas the originals are not.

--Jerome

Ericus Rex

« Reply #151 on: 25 Nov 2009, 12:56 am »
Just got the two MFSL Marvin Gaye releases.  SWEET!

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #152 on: 25 Nov 2009, 02:44 pm »
Splurged on the new, luxuriously boxed Classic Records release of Aqualung on four 200g Clarity vinyl discs.

Dropped the needle on "My God." ? which is exactly what would have come from my mouth had I not been left speechless by the wonderfully rich, detailed and lively presentation.  Probably the most "in the room" experience of any vinyl I own.   

As a sanity check I then played the track again this time from the 33.3 RPM 200G Classic issue ? the 45 RPM version blew it away.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #153 on: 26 Nov 2009, 05:50 am »
Splurged on the new, luxuriously boxed Classic Records release of Aqualung on four 200g Clarity vinyl discs.

Dropped the needle on "My God." ? which is exactly what would have come from my mouth had I not been left speechless by the wonderfully rich, detailed and lively presentation.  Probably the most "in the room" experience of any vinyl I own.   

As a sanity check I then played the track again this time from the 33.3 RPM 200G Classic issue ? the 45 RPM version blew it away.

Thanks for posting this and your comments on the album. I was on the fence about this one, but all I can say is "there goes another $50 out of my purse." :lol:

I just saw Ian Anderson in concert doing an acoustic set of Jethro Tull  :thumb:

Laura

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #154 on: 26 Nov 2009, 06:01 am »

Thanks for posting this and your comments on the album. I was on the fence about this one, but all I can say is "there goes another $50 out of my purse." :lol:

I just saw Ian Anderson in concert doing an acoustic set of Jethro Tull  :thumb:

Laura

"Classic Records' newest formulation: CLARITY SV-P II CLEAR VINYL!
The genesis of the new formula came as a result of a visit to High End Audio's self proclaimed Vinyl Guru Michael Fremer's Analog Laboratory. Mr. Fremer demonstrated a Furutech LP demagnetizer. After using the demagnetizer, vocals had so much more texture, bass definition and clarity of every nuance of the recording was vastly improved and there was more low level information than we had ever heard in the recording.

Why did the demagnetizer had the sonic effects on a record? Very simply the carbon black that is ADDED to vinyl for LP manufacture contains trace metals that become randomly magnetized and interfere electrically with the cartridge hanging overhead during play. So... if carbon black and the trace metals contained therein caused playback distortion in the cartridge then why not take out the carbon black altogether? Classic Records Clarity SV-P II Clear Vinyl is the answer!

Clarity Vinyl represents the ultimate in vinyl formulations because it is comprised of over 90% percentage of the highest quality co-polymer available - a key component in vinyl pellets used for manufacturing vinyl records. Further, Clarity Vinyl has no carbon black additive, common in vinyl formulas for LP's. Carbon Black contains trace metals that become magnetized and cause "electrical distortions" in cartridges during playback that smears the sound. By taking out the Carbon Black, Classic Records is able to dramatically reduce the "electrical distortions" and thus bring more "Clarity" to the playback process, providing a more realistic musical experience to the listener and LP enthusiast."

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #155 on: 26 Nov 2009, 02:26 pm »
I will admit to being something of an audio pessimist at heart when it comes to claims of better sound.  I am particularly skeptical when the most far fetched ideas are presented as having a great impact on improving sound quality.  It is a problem that I think plagues much of the audiophile world.  I think of Clarity Vinyl as little more than an approach to product marketing, and I see these claimed improvements as something of a self-fullfilling prophecy.  If you expect an improvement then you will hear an improvement. 

I own four 45 RPM Clarity Vinyl titles from Classic Records.  One of them is Cannonball Adderley's classic album Somethin' Else.  In addition to that I have the 200g Classic Records pressing on black vinyl, and I also own the Analogue Productions 45 RPM reissue, pressed on two 180g black vinyl LPs, remastered by Steve Hoffman and cut by Kevin Gray.

So which one wins?  Well, as a vinyl collector I am happy to have all three.  As a music lover and audiophile, if I were forced to pick just one then I could take any of the three, be happy with it, and not feel like I am missing anything musically or sonically.

IMO the best reasons for buying a Clarity Vinyl title is because you love the music, appreciate how Classic Records masters its content, and would like a 45 RPM pressing.  Honestly, before Classic Records invests R&D into new product I would rather they spend a few dollars addressing their quality control problems.

--Jerome

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #156 on: 26 Nov 2009, 03:21 pm »
Quote from: vinyl_lady

Glad to help lighten your pocketbook...  :icon_lol: Will be interested in your impressions!

Jerome...  to paraphrase Forrest Gump, Vinyl (like life) is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.  I rolled the dice out of curiosity, for fun, and the result for me was sweet and deeply satisfying, regardless of the wrapper. 
YMMV of course! :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #157 on: 26 Nov 2009, 03:33 pm »
Here's a read right from the horse's mouth on Lonewolf's topic of magnetized LPs: http://gizmodo.com/5216353/audiophile-test-speaker-wire-ac-power-cable-record-demagnetizer

Wayner  :D

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #158 on: 1 Dec 2009, 01:24 am »
These came in today from Soundstage Direct:

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur