Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

kenreau

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #120 on: 17 Nov 2009, 09:38 pm »
Thanks Jerome!

Have a great day

Laura

x 2.  Thanks Jerome!

I also have a London copy of LIB and was intending to track down the DSD sourced 180 grm reissue.  You just sealed the plan for me.  I also had the SACDs a few years back but sold them all off when I jumped in with both feet to a HD / Modwright Transporter based system.  When you can get the SOTA sound quality of an original (or better) for around $15 (preowned DSD LP) of these Stones milestones, it is a slam dunk imho.  I happend to pick up a the double album of Hot Rocks [DSD] LP a month ago and really like it as well. Although I don't have another version to compare it to, I imagine it is a keeper as well.

Thank you!
Kenreau

orthobiz

« Reply #121 on: 18 Nov 2009, 12:46 am »
1. Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman with LH in the dead wax rules!
2. First four Neil Young LP's boxed set reissues coming out really soon. This is what I would like for Christmas (hint. hint.)

Paul

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #122 on: 18 Nov 2009, 01:45 am »
+ 3 Jerome.  This is one of my very favorite rock LPs, and I also have I think a great London NPS-4 disc, but I've added the DSD to the shoppping list.   

Would this be the ABKCO 882 332-1 release available via, for example, SoundstageDirect?

Paul

Berndt

« Reply #123 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:26 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #124 on: 18 Nov 2009, 04:28 am »

An after work stop at the local indie record store. Thanks to Jerome for the inspiration to purchase Guided by Voices. Can't wait to listen. Fever Tree is a Sundazed reissue. My original pressing was a little worn and abused from its younger years.  :nono: Toronto's Broken Social Scene is new to me. This 2003 release is credited with launching the Arts & Crafts label. Its members play in other Canadian indie bands including Stars. Info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Social_Scene . Finally, my first Drive by Truckers album.  :)

Laura
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2009, 05:16 pm by vinyl_lady »

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #125 on: 18 Nov 2009, 01:29 pm »
Very nice Laura.  :thumb:  If you like Drive By Truckers then I can heartily recommend Southern Rock Opera.  I would also be very interested to know what you think of Isolation Drills.

Enjoy!

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #126 on: 18 Nov 2009, 01:32 pm »
Would this be the ABKCO 882 332-1 release available via, for example, SoundstageDirect

That's the one.

--Jerome

vinyl_lady

« Reply #127 on: 18 Nov 2009, 02:45 pm »
Very nice Laura.  :thumb:  If you like Drive By Truckers then I can heartily recommend Southern Rock Opera.  I would also be very interested to know what you think of Isolation Drills.

Enjoy!

--Jerome

Thanks Jerome. Bob was playing the Drive by Truckers album when I was in the store last week and after asking him who I was listening to I ordered the album. Same reason I ordered The Mars Volta. I will let you know about Isolation Drill.

Laura

izerbi

« Reply #128 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:02 pm »

Andrew Pekler ?Entanglements in the Orthopedic Sensorium? LP

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #129 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:49 pm »
These were just delivered courtesy of the US Postal Service.

Thanks to Toni for the Voodoo Lounge post.

--Jerome

Wayner

« Reply #130 on: 18 Nov 2009, 09:05 pm »
Just got the newly remastered Yes, Relayer today and am listening to it as I write.

Album is 180 gram, on Friday Music label. Features Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Alan White and Patrick Moraz.

Album condition: Ruler flat with zero visual defects. LP came in a plastic lined, paper sleeve, tho I replaced it with a MOFI sleeve.

Initial thoughts: The sound is less bright then the original while still retaining the original's sense of space and instrument location. You can tell that this is a heavily mechanized LP, possibly having many, many, many, many tracks. There is lots of stuff going on within the recording, not quite as busy as Close to the Edge, but more powerful. I suspect this one was a brute to remaster. Joe Reagoso of Friday music did the remastering and I think he did a good job. So, 90125 and Relayer are done fairly well. Close to the Edge is being re-remastered and pressed (there must have been lots of complaints on this LP). I, for now would recommend this LP, but it sounds different then the original.

Soon oh soon the light
 Pass within and soothe the endless night
 And wait here for you
 Our reason to be here

Soon oh soon the time
 All we move to gain will reach and calm
 Our heart is open
 Our reason to be here

Long ago, set into rhyme

Soon oh soon the light
 Ours to shape for all time, ours the right
 The sun will lead us
 Our reason to be here
 The sun will lead us
 Our reason to be here

Wayner

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #131 on: 19 Nov 2009, 03:30 pm »
These came in today's mail...

And FedEx just dropped this off from Acoustic Sounds...

Thanks to: Wayner for some guidance on the Genesis boxed set and Paul for the Gary Numan plug.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2009, 10:03 pm by jsaliga »

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #132 on: 19 Nov 2009, 04:50 pm »

Airborn

« Reply #133 on: 19 Nov 2009, 09:15 pm »
I found a nice, lightly used copy of this Grateful Dead LP a few days ago.  The vinyl is really thin, but it still sounds better than CD to me! :thumb:

Grateful Dead, From the Mars Hotel

orthobiz

« Reply #134 on: 20 Nov 2009, 12:30 am »
I found a nice, lightly used copy of this Grateful Dead LP a few days ago.  The vinyl is really thin, but it still sounds better than CD to me! :thumb:
Grateful Dead, From the Mars Hotel

And of course you know it says "ugly rumors" at the top with the album in a mirror...

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #135 on: 20 Nov 2009, 12:32 am »
The Broken Social Scene record is great. "Anthems For a Seventeen Year Old Girl" is my favorite. Didn't realize it was on vinyl.

Paul

ltr317

« Reply #136 on: 20 Nov 2009, 01:25 am »
The Broken Social Scene record is great. "Anthems For a Seventeen Year Old Girl" is my favorite. Didn't realize it was on vinyl.

Paul

I have it on cd but with a different cover than the Lp.  Wonder why? 

kenreau

« Reply #137 on: 20 Nov 2009, 11:09 pm »

Enjoy!

--Jerome

Thanks Jerome. Bob was playing the Drive by Truckers album when I was in the store last week and after asking him who I was listening to I ordered the album. Same reason I ordered The Mars Volta. I will let you know about Isolation Drill.

Laura

I love the DBT's, kind of my modern day Lynyrd Skynyrd.  "Southern Rock Opera" is fantastic.  "The Dirty South" is about my favorite album due to the Puttin' People on the Moon song that makes the hair on my head stand up.  Sharp, intelligent song writing and great musicians.  I've never heard them on vinyl though.  Any feedback if they sound better on vinyl vs digits?

Thx
Keneau

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #138 on: 20 Nov 2009, 11:25 pm »

Lydia Lunch - 13.13 vinyl  :lol:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #139 on: 21 Nov 2009, 02:00 am »
The Eagles Hell Freezes Over Simply Vinyl 180 gram

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire Remastered

I think I have an addiction :lol: