Picture Of The Day

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #1260 on: 19 Sep 2010, 04:56 am »

WOw, nice shot of the squirrel. what camera/lens did you use?

Here is a shot of ZTX 550 transistor. Nikon D70 with vintage F1.4 lens handheld with indoor lighting.

bside123

« Reply #1261 on: 19 Sep 2010, 03:36 pm »

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #1262 on: 19 Sep 2010, 11:26 pm »
Took my Pentax K-x out for a walk (Thanks John/Wind Chaser for helping me choose  :thumb:).

ooheadsoo

« Reply #1263 on: 19 Sep 2010, 11:34 pm »
Love that first brisket pic.

Hyfi

« Reply #1264 on: 21 Sep 2010, 11:30 am »
London Eye shot with an old Olympus Stylus 3.2

Hyfi

« Reply #1265 on: 1 Oct 2010, 01:20 pm »
Any Harry Potter Fans? Here is a shot of Laycock Abbey which was used for the Hogwarts School in many scenes of the earlier movies.

PeteG

« Reply #1266 on: 1 Oct 2010, 03:15 pm »
Seen the KING TUT exhibit in Denver and took some shots while walking around, NO pictures at the exhibit :nono:.

Colorado State Capitol 

SET Man

« Reply #1267 on: 2 Oct 2010, 05:40 am »
Any Harry Potter Fans? Here is a shot of Laycock Abbey which was used for the Hogwarts School in many scenes of the earlier movies.

Hey!

Saw this post, the picture of the window and that Lacock Abbey name rang a bell in my head about something I've read and learned about history of photography.... :D

This Abbey played an important roles in photography itself :D It was a home of one of the early pioneer of photography William Fox Talbot. He is the inventor of the "negative" printing process... I forgot the technical name he called this process. While Daguerre was coming up with his "Daguerrotype" in France of which use copper plate but this process can not easily be reproduce. Talbot came up with his process of using paper negative process that can be use to print copies from single negative. Amazingly both men never met each other or know of each other invention, they were inventing photography simultaneously.

Anyway, one of first of Talbot picture taken was a picture of the window of the Lacock Abbey.

So, beside being used in the famous "Harry Potter" movie this Abbey have much more important history (at least to me) behind it that not many know :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1268 on: 2 Oct 2010, 06:59 am »
Pete....

Nice photo of Pints Pub...... :beer:

Hyfi

« Reply #1269 on: 4 Oct 2010, 11:06 am »
Hey!

Saw this post, the picture of the window and that Lacock Abbey name rang a bell in my head about something I've read and learned about history of photography.... :D

This Abbey played an important roles in photography itself :D It was a home of one of the early pioneer of photography William Fox Talbot. He is the inventor of the "negative" printing process... I forgot the technical name he called this process. While Daguerre was coming up with his "Daguerrotype" in France of which use copper plate but this process can not easily be reproduce. Talbot came up with his process of using paper negative process that can be use to print copies from single negative. Amazingly both men never met each other or know of each other invention, they were inventing photography simultaneously.

Anyway, one of first of Talbot picture taken was a picture of the window of the Lacock Abbey.

So, beside being used in the famous "Harry Potter" movie this Abbey have much more important history (at least to me) behind it that not many know :wink:

Take care,

I did not know all that. Thanks for the info. I stayed in Chippenham, UK for a week for work a few years ago. Next major town before Bath. I went into Laycock a few nights for dinner and my wife made it during the day for a tour.

Hyfi

« Reply #1270 on: 4 Oct 2010, 12:56 pm »
Cool pic of decorated skull from British Museum

nathanm

« Reply #1271 on: 5 Oct 2010, 07:45 pm »
This is not my photo, I was just browsing Flickr looking for pet store graphic fodder and this one struck me.  Excellent composition, texture, lighting, sharpness.  It's very nice. Okay maybe...MAYBE...if I was pressed, it might be better a little less top and more bottom, but otherwise it's a winner.  Good job user "Lip Bomb".

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #1272 on: 5 Oct 2010, 08:49 pm »
This is not my photo, I was just browsing Flickr looking for pet store graphic fodder and this one struck me.  Excellent composition, texture, lighting, sharpness.  It's very nice. Okay maybe...MAYBE...if I was pressed, it might be better a little less top and more bottom, but otherwise it's a winner.

Second that.

Further: I like the aspect of the leash and its bend and rotation, as well as the coloration/pattern matching the pine, as an added element. (though cannot make out how/where it is attached).

- David.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #1273 on: 6 Oct 2010, 12:37 am »
...it might be better a little less top and more bottom...

In addition to the above, it would have been better if a little more were captured on the right.  The dogs face is too close to the edge of the frame.  In other words, the composition is good but the framing is weak.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #1274 on: 6 Oct 2010, 01:11 am »
I love dogs but there is something I don't like.  I prefer narrow depth of field, where the dog is sharp but the background is softer and less distracting.  It's so sharp it seems like one shot laid on top of another.  The head seems large for the body, as if it were cross-breed.
I also agree with most of the other posters on composition, lighting, etc.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #1275 on: 6 Oct 2010, 01:24 am »
It looks like it was shot with a WA - hence the depth of field.  But it still has good pop.  I'm guessing it was PP with something like Topaz Adjust...

navi

« Reply #1276 on: 6 Oct 2010, 07:43 am »

Morwell Power station in country victoria. I wouldn't want to live there with all that haze.
Just updated my blog: http://ijproductions.com/blog/

low.pfile

« Reply #1277 on: 6 Oct 2010, 08:22 am »
wonderful capture navi!

Hyfi

« Reply #1278 on: 6 Oct 2010, 04:48 pm »
Human Statue - South Bank, London

Hyfi

« Reply #1279 on: 6 Oct 2010, 05:03 pm »
Hey!

Take care,

Just read up on this on Wiki, the window in the middle of my pic is the Orial Window and the subject of Talbot's first photo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Fox_Talbot