Fun Listening Session

gaelen5

Fun Listening Session
« on: 11 Jul 2017, 08:25 pm »
I've been lurking the forums, but haven't posted until now. I thought I would share my experiences with some friends who hosted a bit of a party for some audio nerds. Big thanks to Captainhemo and Eno2112.

To start off with the conclusion - these speakers are some of the very best I've heard regardless of price. We listened to all kinds of music, and played around with different amps, DACS, cables. The speakers clearly revealed all of the downstream changes we were making. More importantly, I was blown away at these speakers ability to play any genre of music. I know a lot of people write that about speakers, but these truly do. For example, I've never heard a hifi speaker that can play heavy rock at appropriately loud levels. These speakers are perfect for heavy rock! They just invite being turned up louder. I love metal, but have always found hifi systems to over analyze it and take all the fun out of it. Not these speakers - they love to party! These open baffle subs are unreal. I can't remember exactly where I read this about them, but someone wrote the subs offer "the best bass you ever did hear", and I think that sums it up adequately. 

We switched to something classical and detailed by 2L recordings, and my mind was blown again. Captainhemo and Eno2112 think that these speakers do horns better than almost anything, and I agree. However, the strings from this 2L recording were unbelievably realistic. Even off axis there was excellent imaging, but most impressive was that I could hear the texture of the wood in the instruments, and hear the friction of the bows vibrating against the strings. It was the best I've ever heard strings reproduced.

Captainhemo

Re: Fun Listening Session
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2017, 06:58 am »
Glad you  enjoyed yourself man,  it was a very  enjoyable listening session  :beer;
I know you loved that  2L violin  cut ( it is a stunning track), but I   have to mention  your " not  again":  reaction  to us playing   the live acoustic version of  "Hotel Californica"  and  how   that  reaction changed   as the intro  progressed    :lol:  Always cookl  to really hear it for the first time huh ?

jay

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2017, 11:59 am »
Jay/Captainhemo,

Nice setup! Love the open baffle sub tower. I need to visit sledwards at some point to listen to his very similar setup!

Love the Duck tape treatment on the Mivera Audio Purestream dac  :wink:

Can you post a link to the 2L recording?

Gaelen5,

Nice review!

Best,
Anand.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2017, 12:14 pm »
What speakers are those?

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2017, 02:31 pm »
I am betting a GR Research wedgies variant. 

Wish I could have been there, glad it was a good time!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2017, 02:34 pm »
Those are the GR Research NX Otica - handcrafted by Jay / Captian Hemo. The picture doesn't do them justice, these are truly beautiful works of art. Jay graciously extended me an invitation to that event but circumstances / visitors precluded my attendance.   :(

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2017, 04:01 pm »
Anand,  Mike (Mivera) brought one of the  Hypex "all in one " modules to try hence the  duct tape :lol: That  amp was crazy good  on some  perucssion  tracks we listened to, amzing puch and  very clean but IMHO, it didn't  have any  magic  when listening to  music. No comparison to the K&K 6C33C mon's in that regard.
Here's a link for that track, it's  #15. 

That speaker setup is actually uip at Don's (Endo2112) right now. His room is quite a bit larger, allows people to  hear what the speakers are  really capable of

Yes,  GR Research NX-Ottica's (no cup on the  Neo3PDF so it's fully open as well)
Subs are  tiple 12" servo controlled  in a custom sloped cabinet to match the  Otticas

Wind Chaser,   we'll be doing another    one of these soon enough,  I'll let you  know

jay
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2017, 05:43 pm by Captainhemo »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2017, 04:31 pm »
Thanks, Jay. I'm looking forward to it.  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2017, 05:21 pm »
Jay,

The link on your previous post doesn't work  :|

Best,
Anand.

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2017, 05:46 pm »
Jay,

The link on your previous post doesn't work  :|

Best,
Anand.

Sorry :duh:  Fixed it  up

jay

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2017, 06:01 pm »
Jay,

I'm not much of a disc spinner anymore so here's another link:

https://shop.klicktrack.com/2l/35847

Best,
Anand.

gaelen5

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2017, 01:01 am »
Glad you  enjoyed yourself man,  it was a very  enjoyable listening session  :beer;
I know you loved that  2L violin  cut ( it is a stunning track), but I   have to mention  your " not  again":  reaction  to us playing   the live acoustic version of  "Hotel Californica"  and  how   that  reaction changed   as the intro  progressed    :lol:  Always cookl  to really hear it for the first time huh ?

jay

Lol! I do roll my eyes with Hotel California because I've heard it too many times at audio shows or at audio stores. It's a good track though, and I have to admit it was a fun to hear it anew on that stereo.

gaelen5

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2017, 01:06 am »
Those are the GR Research NX Otica - handcrafted by Jay / Captian Hemo. The picture doesn't do them justice, these are truly beautiful works of art. Jay graciously extended me an invitation to that event but circumstances / visitors precluded my attendance.   :(

Would be good to meet you next time! It was a lot of fun. It's enlightening to hear how others react to the system, and the changes that are made. It eased my mind to know that others were hearing similar things, and that we aren't all just subject to our own biases.