LDR3.V2 Interconnect Lengths

Keithh

LDR3.V2 Interconnect Lengths
« on: 6 Feb 2016, 05:09 pm »
Absolutely love my LDR3.V2 and would like to move my speakers location for better performance. I use one set of outputs
for the servo sub amps and would need to change the interconnect length from 5' to about 12'-15' long. Would this cause any problems?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LDR3.V2 Interconnect Lengths
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2016, 03:01 pm »
Absolutely love my LDR3.V2 and would like to move my speakers location for better performance. I use one set of outputs
for the servo sub amps and would need to change the interconnect length from 5' to about 12'-15' long. Would this cause any problems?

Sorry for the slow response to this. While I'm not 100% clear on the configuration you're describing I'm going to assume you're asking to increase the IC length between the LDR3 and your amp(s). Ideally it would be best to increase the IC length between your source and preamp. Increasing the downstream IC length will increase the total capacitance of the connection somewhat. With resistive passives like the Tortuga LDRs the combined impedance of the preamp together with the downstream IC capacitance creates a first order RC filter. A potential problem with this filtering is if it gets sufficiently large, it can push down into the audible range and begin to roll off some of the highest frequencies.

While this is a first principles phenomena driven purely by the physics, analysis shows that you need fairly high R and C values for this to become a practical problem. With good quality ICs (low capacitance per foot), doubling or tripling your IC length for your current 5' length is unlikely to cause a problem. One reviewer of our preamp used 25 foot downstream ICs with no discernible issues. Not that I'd recommend that length.