Need help with identify a component.

khoadk2193

Need help with identify a component.
« on: 7 Sep 2017, 08:23 pm »
Hi,

I'm on a project to restore my cd player to its original state by replacing all the defected capacitors. Then i found this

Does anyone know what this is and what can i replace it with? It is marked as C for capacitor on the board.

Thank you

dB Cooper

Re: Need help with identify a component.
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2017, 01:28 am »
What CD player is it? Whether it's worth fixing or not is a decision point, starting with figuring out whether or or not particular capacitor(s) are in fact defective. Do you have a capacitor tester? Is it exhibiting any problems or are you just doing a cap upgrade? Electrolytics can dry out with age but film types will probably outlast the disc transport. Depending on what the issue is, like if you're just looking for an SQ boost, an external DAC may be a better investment IMHO (and would still be useful when the transport craps out).

AAAAnd... that is a weird looking cap. I wonder if the unit has already been modified? By appearances, it looks like it may have been a substituted part (off center and appears to not match the board holes; not mounted flush to the board etc).

Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the forums.

khoadk2193

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2017, 04:56 am »
Thank you for your replay Cooper :D.
The equipment that im doing on is the Denon CD player dcd-3520. I started replacing all the regular caps just because it has brown-ish stains under it, I assumed something in it had leaked out so I changed them with new ones, same value.
Back to the light-bulb-looking ones, I just want to know some information about it :D, since the CD player is nearly 30 years old I think ?

rex.johnston

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2017, 07:57 am »
Polystyrene cap. It'll be fine.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2017, 12:37 pm »
Sometimes a brownish substance under caps is a glue. If the caps aren't swollen, they are probably still ok

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2017, 01:22 pm »
Another consideration, polystyrene caps can actually melt if overheated (requiring very careful soldering).

Does the unit function and sound OK? Maybe you should go by the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2017, 08:55 pm »
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/denon/dcd-3520.shtml

They list a owners manual and a service manual.

Regards,
Dean