Super Mini's up and playing over here.

saygrr

Re: Super Mini's up and playing over here.
« Reply #140 on: 31 Oct 2019, 10:31 pm »
Last post on this thread is Sept. 3. I have an interest in the Super Mini if the bass can be as good as the Super mini's are at what they do without using big separate subs. I really like the 4 M165 per side as stands and extending the bass. Also read somewhere that 3 8s per side have been made. So Danny or Jay or somebody where is bass project at for the Super Mini's?I get the impression the M165s or 8 inch woofers would be self amplified?Is servo being considered? Also I do not see 8 inch woofers on the GR Research web sight. Are these woofers designed by Danny?
Would the three 8 inch drivers extend the bass 4 or 5 hz more than the 4 M165? Would servo extend the bass a bit more? Will flat packs be available for the 4 M165 or 8 inch open baffle cabinets?

I really like the looks of the Super Mini on top of the Bass with 4 M165 or the 3 8 inch open baffle bass. Hope that will be enough for a full range system. It is clean, uncluttered looking and simple.

I hope my questions are clear. Not a very good at communicateing. The Super Mini's have my attention it's just extending the bass, where is that at? I intend to attend LSAF in June to hear some GR Research gear. That will be most helpfull. Tyson has been helpfull with his comments on the threads and on the phone.

Thank you

DeeJayBump

« Reply #141 on: 3 Nov 2019, 01:34 am »
Seems like the 4x165 [mid-bass] stands/amps would also perfectly complement Wedgies, would they not? Of course, you would still need servos for truly full range playback, but seems like these paired with either Super-Minis or Wedgies would both add some mid-bass dynamics/slam and possibly clean up the truly low-bass regions by relieving the Servos of some mid-bass work. In addition it would allow Super-Minis or Wedgies to use these as stands and allow H-frame Servos more placement options, obviously.

Any rough ETA for these yet? Thanks.

Captainhemo

« Reply #142 on: 5 Nov 2019, 11:00 pm »
Yes, flat packs will be available for the  4 x M165's.  Danny  has a pack  , he's just been busy and hasn't  had time to   set it up.

Servo 8's are not in  stock  right  now, I think  Danny  is working on a  new order / run of them.

jay

saygrr

« Reply #143 on: 6 Nov 2019, 01:08 am »
Thanks Jay.

Would the flat pack be the same for the 8s, the only difference being 3 holes for 8 inch woofers?

seadogs1

« Reply #144 on: 6 Nov 2019, 02:01 pm »
Any chance the super minis would ever have an active model?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #145 on: 6 Nov 2019, 02:04 pm »
Are you talking about a fully active version of the Super Mini's for both the planars and servo subs?

seadogs1

« Reply #146 on: 6 Nov 2019, 02:05 pm »
Hal just the super minis.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #147 on: 6 Nov 2019, 02:29 pm »

jmpsmash

« Reply #148 on: 13 Jan 2020, 01:10 am »
Any one has a pair of Super Minis in the SF Bay Area? Would love to audition them.

mkane

« Reply #149 on: 14 Jan 2020, 03:07 am »
 We do, in Cloverdale. Come over and listen

jmpsmash

« Reply #150 on: 14 Jan 2020, 05:37 pm »
We do, in Cloverdale. Come over and listen

Thanks for the offer! Cloverdale is a good 2+ hours drive from Santa Clara. Will have to try to organize a day trip up there. Maybe after you are done with the S7 monitors!

mkane

« Reply #151 on: 15 Jan 2020, 01:07 am »
 That could be a while.

jmpsmash

« Reply #152 on: 15 Jan 2020, 01:55 am »
That could be a while.

Has anyone A/B compared the S7 monitor vs the Super Mini?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #153 on: 15 Jan 2020, 04:09 am »
Has anyone A/B compared the S7 monitor vs the Super Mini?

What's the S7 monitor?

jmpsmash

« Reply #154 on: 15 Jan 2020, 04:33 am »
What's the S7 monitor?

The top part of the Super 7.

Tyson

« Reply #155 on: 15 Jan 2020, 04:35 am »
The top part of the Super 7.

I own the Super 7 and got to extensively demo the Super Mini a couple weeks ago.  See the writeup here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167136.0

jmpsmash

« Reply #156 on: 15 Jan 2020, 04:41 am »
I own the Super 7 and got to extensively demo the Super Mini a couple weeks ago.  See the writeup here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167136.0

I did and thanks as all your reviews are very insightful!

Your review and others are what really piqued my interests in the "Super" design. Open baffle planar + open baffle servo sub. I have only read about it but never listened to one.

I also started going through the whole circle and catching up on other designs. And that's what brought me to the S7 thread and discovered the existence of the S7 monitor. Seems like it will sound better than the super mini but would be cost double mainly due to the cost of the Neo10. Anyway, would love to be able to A/B compare them.

Tyson

« Reply #157 on: 15 Jan 2020, 05:08 am »
I did and thanks as all your reviews are very insightful!

Your review and others are what really piqued my interests in the "Super" design. Open baffle planar + open baffle servo sub. I have only read about it but never listened to one.

I also started going through the whole circle and catching up on other designs. And that's what brought me to the S7 thread and discovered the existence of the S7 monitor. Seems like it will sound better than the super mini but would be cost double mainly due to the cost of the Neo10. Anyway, would love to be able to A/B compare them.

You do understand that the planar mid/tweeter on the Super Mini and the top part of the Super 7 both only go down to 200hz?  Neither of them can be used without a bass section. 

jmpsmash

« Reply #158 on: 15 Jan 2020, 05:12 am »
You do understand that the planar mid/tweeter on the Super Mini and the top part of the Super 7 both only go down to 200hz?  Neither of them can be used without a bass section.

Yes. I currently have a pair of JBL 15" woofer in large cabinets that I initially plan to pair them with. but if they end up too slow, then I will have to get the OB servo subs.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #159 on: 15 Jan 2020, 05:18 am »
Yes. I currently have a pair of JBL 15" woofer in large cabinets that I initially plan to pair them with. but if they end up too slow, then I will have to get the OB servo subs.

Other subs will work in a pinch but they won't blend properly. That's what I did for six months while I saved up for the subs when I got my first OB monitor kit. You'll want the OB servo subs.