James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

So There

• Brystonized
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS
« Reply #1001 on: 16 Apr 2013, 02:09 am »
Does it get boring, James . . . the superlative reviews of Bryston gear? These are my takeaways from the Secrets review above:

"The sound was flawless as well."  |  "And it was clean, clean, clean . . . astonishingly so."  |  "In summary, I would classify the Bryston BDA-2 as detailed and neutral, with nary an audible hint of distortion."  |  "A few years ago, you could not get this performance at $5,000, so at $2,395, this DAC is a no brainer for consideration."

And those measurements . . . you challenge the test gear.

I received my copy of The Absolute Sound last week and enjoyed reading the rave review.

When convenient, might you make PDFs of these reviews available to us?

Congratulations on this well-deserved recognition of yet another example of Bryston's excellence in design and performance.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1002 on: 16 Apr 2013, 02:17 am »
Does it get boring, James . . . the superlative reviews of Bryston gear? These are my takeaways from the Secrets review above:

"The sound was flawless as well."  |  "And it was clean, clean, clean . . . astonishingly so."  |  "In summary, I would classify the Bryston BDA-2 as detailed and neutral, with nary an audible hint of distortion."  |  "A few years ago, you could not get this performance at $5,000, so at $2,395, this DAC is a no brainer for consideration."

And those measurements . . . you challenge the test gear.

I received my copy of The Absolute Sound last week and enjoyed reading the rave review.

When convenient, might you make PDFs of these reviews available to us?

Congratulations on this well-deserved recognition of yet another example of Bryston's excellence in design and performance.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Thanks for the kind comments Rich - its is great to know that our efforts are appreciated. :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1003 on: 16 Apr 2013, 03:17 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Polish Review of Bryston BDA-2 DAC and BDP Digital Player

Sent: April-16-13
To: James Tanner
Subject: Bryston BDA-2, BDP-2 - Audio Video Review

Dear Bryston,
Please find Bryston BDA-2 DAC and BDP-2 Digital Player review from Polish Magazine --- Audio Video Magazine.

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/reviews/Bryston%20BDP-2_BDA-2_av4-13%20(2).pdf

A Few English Translated Sentences from the review:
"(...) A very good Class 2 USB input in the BDA-2, so that this DAC is one of the best asynchronous D/A converters in its own class.
BDA-2 is in a very well-balanced, rich and musical.
More of an emphasis on warmth, richness and natural sound color than the ruthless precision or resolution.

Best:
Robert

whanafi

BRYSTON BDP-1 - Finally installed and first impressions
« Reply #1004 on: 29 Apr 2013, 03:23 pm »
I have been working with digital music since the first SliMP3 was released by Slim Devices back in the day.  And before that, I had fully automated my CD collection in Sony carousels with a NIRVIS controller.  Suffice to say I have been at this a while. 

My system was based on a Transporter streaming from a Vortex box music server, all on wired Ethernet.  The Transporter was connected to the Bryston BDA-1, BP26, and a 4BSST2 driving a pair of KEF Reference 205/2.  I used iPeng on various iDevices and Logitech Squeezebox Controller for control. 

I followed the development of the BDP-1 with interest, but without the abilty to talk to external networked storage, I wasn't interested.  And then it was announced that the new firmware would support network storage AND you could control from networked devices and so I placed and order.

Just in time for the announcement of the BDP-2. 

I was pissed.  I realize (and celebrate) that manufacturers need to advance the state of the art, so the unhappiness was not that there was a new product, just that the BDP-2 more closely answered my needs than the BDP-1, and I was caught with an in transit order.  By the time things get to Singapore, they are considerably more expensive.

I sucked it up, paid the balance on the BDP-1 when it arrived, and then left the unopened box in my study.  It has taken a few months to find the motivation to set the thing up, but with the Labour Day holiday this week, I had some spare time and tackled the project.

Previous posters have said that they could not hear the difference between the Transporter and the BDP-1, so I was curious to see if the swap made an impression on me.  The shipped unit did not include the Bryston USB sampler, so I put one together myself with a mix of CD rips and high def material from HD Tracks.

Ignoring the 4 hours of reading posts, learning about mPoD and mPad and MPD and MPDroid and figuring out that you DON'T put in the password, I was finally up and running, with the existing Vortexbox remaining as my music server.

WOW.

All the feelings of being hard done by fled as the first bars of Cielo Azul by Johannes Linstead played. 

Describing audio is like describing wine - at best imprecise, at worst pretentious.  I will just say it sounded wonderful.  I don't know why exactly - same interconnect (BNC SPIDF), same system, just different player.  Should not make a difference on paper.  My wife, who tolerates my audio passion, spontaneously commented that everything sounded clearer.   SAF=10

The functionality and clients for working with the Logitech Music Server are stil better, but the trade-off is acceptable for the sound.

The Transporter has retreated to my computer desk and serves as my player attached to an ancient Linn Classik and KEF LS50 speakers. 

Happiness resumed.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1005 on: 10 Sep 2013, 03:07 pm »
Dear James

You might like the attached BDP2 & BDA2 review attached that is currently on the shelves throughout the UK.

Gramophone – The UK’s Leading Classical Music Magazine
Kindest regards

Keith
PMC

Have the PDF folks if you want a copy - jamestanner@bryston.com

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1006 on: 11 Sep 2013, 02:18 pm »
Hi Folks,

There is a nice follow up review on the Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player in the October issue of Stereophile Magazine - page 192.

james

smatsui324

« Reply #1007 on: 12 Sep 2013, 01:17 pm »
James,
Is Bryston working on providing the BDP-2 DSD capability?  I have the BDP-2 and I think its great but the icing on the cake would be to have DSD capability.  My DAC is DSD capable and I rather use my BDP-2 than a laptop/ J. River to play DSD files.  DSD seems to be picking up a bit with some of the new DACs out there and sites like Acousticsounds.com selling DSD downloads.   I think a DSD capable BDP-2 would give it an edge over most of its competition.  Just a thought.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1008 on: 12 Sep 2013, 02:25 pm »
James,
Is Bryston working on providing the BDP-2 DSD capability?  I have the BDP-2 and I think its great but the icing on the cake would be to have DSD capability.  My DAC is DSD capable and I rather use my BDP-2 than a laptop/ J. River to play DSD files.  DSD seems to be picking up a bit with some of the new DACs out there and sites like Acousticsounds.com selling DSD downloads.   I think a DSD capable BDP-2 would give it an edge over most of its competition.  Just a thought.

Hi

We are looking at it and the latest software (Manic Moose) that Chris is working on for the BDP-2 is capable of DSD.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1009 on: 23 Sep 2013, 09:27 pm »
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013
Subject: BDP-2

James,

I was one of the very early purchasers of the BDP-1.  I have always been thrilled by both the sound on my Thiel 3.7 speaker system using the BDP-1 as the source for a very large classical music collection and the flexibility of the software interface.  I just ordered a BDP-2) because I wanted the greater flexibility  and the ability to manage very large libraries.

Note:
I am keeping the BDP-1 as a "back up" because I cannot face the prospect of listening to music in another manner if something should happen to the media player.  I am a VERY satisfied customer.

Best regards,

Larry

Boldlygo

« Reply #1010 on: 8 Oct 2013, 02:47 am »
Hi everyone. I haven't posted much around these boards but I have owned an SP3 for about 10 months now. I am in the computer business so I have built my own music server. I recently made a large investment in a professional sound card made by Digigram (VX222e) for it. I used to run an Asus Xonar card (using a coax digital cable). Wow, what a difference and what a card! It has an AES/EBU connector to fit right into the SP3.
Since my friends and I thought very highly of the quality of the sound, we decided to put the media server up against the BDP-1 which I was able to 'borrow' from a dealer for the weekend. After reading all the posts in this thread, I couldn't wait to hear the two against each other.
Well, I have to tell you, after much A/B'ing between the two using the SP3's two AES digital inputs, my media server actually sounds better! It gives a little better resolution to the sounds, especially female vocals and guitars. (We used the exact same files from my media server which has all my music ripped into iTunes using AIFF). The music just has a little more 'air' around it - on all pieces auditioned. A small difference, but noticeable. (They are both sound sooooo good.)
If I didn't have my media server, I would never know the difference and I would say the Bryston BDP-1 was the best sound I had ever heard - but the sound coming out of my computer through the Digigram card is better. The card can plug into any Windows computer, but my media server was custom-built to be a dedicated media server. It has a fanless power supply, super-quiet case fan, and my twin mirrored hard drives are stored in a Mediasonic Raid enclosure connected by USB3.0, ensuring all my music files are always backed up in real-time using Raid1 (or Mirroring).
It's not necessary to go to this extreme or cost to make the system sound this good - any computer with this sound card will probably sound just as good. And you can get this card for around $500. landed cost in Canada (probably a little bit cheaper in the US).
So putting together a computer with this sound card can be done for under $1000. You plug the media server running iTunes into your home network and use the Remote app from any i device and away you go!
I'm not putting down the BDP-1 by any means - it's a wonderfully built and performing product and matches beautifully with my SP3. But since I already have a dedicated media computer on my rack (I used a Silverstone media case-looks great) there's no need to get into a BDP product, when what I've built actually sounds even better.
Food for thought...............

Rest of my system for reference:
Bryston LX-7 7x200w amp, (soon to be switching to a couple of McAllister monoblock OTL amps!)
Neat MF5 front speakers
Cardass XLR interconnects
Morrow Audio SP6 speaker wires

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1011 on: 8 Oct 2013, 04:22 am »
Sent: October-07-13 1:11 PM
Subject: RE: BDP2 Network

Hello James,

I picked up the BDA2 and BDP2 on Friday. They sound fantastic, to the point where I think I will sell my CD player.

The guys at HiFi Centre lent me a Transparent Reference cable to try with RCA style connectors. It is plugged into the “SPDIF OUT” via a RCA adaptor on the back of the BDP2. Is there a sonic advantage to using the AES/EBU connections?

Thanks James,
Tim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1012 on: 8 Oct 2013, 11:04 am »
Sent: October-07-13 1:11 PM
Subject: RE: BDP2 Network

Hello James,

I picked up the BDA2 and BDP2 on Friday. They sound fantastic, to the point where I think I will sell my CD player.

The guys at HiFi Centre lent me a Transparent Reference cable to try with RCA style connectors. It is plugged into the “SPDIF OUT” via a RCA adaptor on the back of the BDP2. Is there a sonic advantage to using the AES/EBU connections?

Thanks James,
Tim

Hi Tim

The AES connection is a fully balanced connection and it also has twice the voltage swing of the other type of connections which the receiving devices really seem to like.  I would recommend using AES EBU if you can but make sure the CABLE is 110 ohms.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1013 on: 7 Nov 2013, 03:51 pm »
Dear Chris,
Thank you for the DSD playback you made possible for me tonight.
You do your job very well.
Good night!
Yours. Dario.

Inviato da iPhone

drummermitchell

« Reply #1014 on: 8 Nov 2013, 03:33 pm »
Yes, Chris does do his job very well indeed.
Has helped me over the last week with setting up my BDP-2,DBPoweramp,gigabit switch,Ext Seagate(2Terrabyte),last but not least my friggin router.
I gotta say if it wasn't for guys like Chris around to help guys like me that really don't understand all this digital wording ect and setup,
we would be screwed big time.I 'd be still manually changing cd's.
Everything now works like a charm as now totally comfy with DBpoweramp and pretty much with Bryston Max(close).
Should add,I'm really liking the sound of BDP-2 and BDA-2 combo,thanks again Chris :thumb:.

lhissink

« Reply #1015 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:40 am »
Hello James/ Chris

Just updated the BDP-1 (S/N 000050) to 1.73 firmware.

It's working ok but getting output via the USB interface seems unintuitive.

I have an Accuphase DAC with USB input - compatible with USB2 specs - the Apple Mac has no problem identifying it, nor does an Antipodes Audio DS2 Server (Linux based system).

But the BDP-1 seems not see the Accuphase DAC. I'm using MPD version 0.172 at present.

Main reason for the query is that I only have one SP/Diff input that is used by the FM tuner, so it would be nice to have the BDP-1 hooked up to the USB input.

Any clues? Special script ?

Thanks in advance

Louis Hissink, NSW Australia

jhameeh

« Reply #1016 on: 10 Nov 2013, 03:06 pm »
Connected BDP-2 to Exasound e20 DAC, using USB, sound not working. Updated to latest firmware S1.73
Any help please?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1017 on: 10 Nov 2013, 04:48 pm »
Plug the USB DAC in via... well USB, turn the DAC on, then turn on the BDP.  The BDP will only add the USB DAC to its list of known output devices if it see's it upon startup.

Cheers,
Chris

jhameeh

« Reply #1018 on: 10 Nov 2013, 07:57 pm »
Hello Chris,
Thanks for the quick reply.

It should be pretty straight forward connecting the Exa E20 DAC via USB. Unplugged everything, connect exa via usb again(tried any of the 6 usb). Start Exa, start BDP-2, initializing...... scan the thumb drive and hit Play, still no sound..  :scratch:

Is there any software needed to be installed or something? In windows PC it is required to install an ASIO driver for the DAC to work. It seems it is not recognizing the Exa. Normally if there is any signal detected by the exa, the file resolution will be shown on exa's display i.e. 24/192 or DSD. In this case its blank/nothing.

Any body out there with Exa E20 connected to BDP-2 via USB with sound working or even detecting Exa?

Maybe I miss something here. :duh:
Thanks a lot for any help.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2013, 02:36 am by jhameeh »

jhameeh

« Reply #1019 on: 11 Nov 2013, 02:43 pm »
Can somebody please help me? I don't know what to do anymore. BDP-2 does not recognized my Exasound E20 DAC even though I follow Mr Chris advice.

I am not sure if I could use any other connection since Exa don't have AES and the spdif is different from BDP-2?
Only USB connection for me.

I really appreciate any help from you guys.