Pinnacle Model 98db

ccrobbins

Pinnacle Model 98db
« on: 3 Apr 2023, 08:21 pm »
I'm new and recently picked a set of these up and I am looing for info. It appears they shut down around 2015.

The Decibel Model 98db's I have appear to need some love and I'm just trying to get a spec sheet. I have a feeling at least 1 woofer in each set isn't factory.

So hello and looking forward to being here.

ccrobbins

Re: Pinnacle Model 98db
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2023, 11:11 pm »
Here are some pics if anyone is curious.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2023, 09:01 am »
I often see listings where the owner has replaced a driver and they invariably post "I replaced the woofer with the exact same size and it sounds great".  Maybe not so much.  That looks like a car woofer.  The title says Pinnacle which I remember, but I don't recall seeing that model, I thought they had more conventional speakers.

ccrobbins

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2023, 02:37 pm »
This isn't even car audio quality. It reminds me of the .98 woofers PE had years ago. I found 2 woofers on Ebay that I hope are at least similar.

These are really well built and don't sound bad even with the turd in the bottom. The wiring was a rats nest and that's all cleared up now. I like challenges and hate to just scrap these until I've done everything I can.

ccrobbins

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2023, 04:06 am »
I found some replacement drivers on Ebay...I hope.

ccrobbins

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2023, 12:30 am »
Got em in and installed!

Sounding like they should now. I'm thinking about redoing the cabinets maybe.

JCarney

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2023, 12:37 am »
Got em in and installed!

Sounding like they should now. I'm thinking about redoing the cabinets maybe.

Show us some pics of the new drivers. I'd be curious about the crossover. I bet there are gains to be had there now that you may have sorted out the driver issue.

Good luck and keep us posted,
JCarney

ccrobbins

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2023, 12:48 am »
They are identical to the originals. I'd love to get into the xo, sounds like the tweeter could be tweaked at least. Unfortunately all i have to measure anything with is a volt meter...

ccrobbins

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2023, 11:31 pm »
cabinets are getting redone, pics when finished!

JCarney

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2023, 01:08 am »
Very cool you found correct replacement drivers. The caps and resistors should have their values printed on them, but not always. The tough one will be the inductors, but I'm guessing they are probably fine. If the caps are electrolytic, replacing them with reliably good poly's like Solen or more exotic like ClarityCaps or Mundorf if you desire will net very noticeable results. Replacing sand cast resistors with Jantzen or Mills non-inductive resistors will also improve things.

Good luck,
JCarney

ccrobbins

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2023, 12:20 pm »
I'll get some pics of the xo while they are out of the enclosures. They were very liberal with the use of either hot glue or silicone. I might just have to make new ones, I mean...It would be a fun little project!

JCarney

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2023, 07:22 pm »
They were very liberal with the use of either hot glue or silicone.

:lol: :lol:

I guess they did not want anything coming loose.  :o

JCarney

ccrobbins

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2023, 10:41 pm »
Well, mission accomplished!

ccrobbins

« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2023, 12:26 am »
Here's a couple of pics of the xover. There is a pad to control tweeter level.

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2023, 01:49 am »
Hey!

You found exact replacement woofer as the original? Well, that's impressive, considered how old those Pinnacle are. Yeah I remembered Pinnacle speaker back in the days. But I've never seen this model, must be a later model.

As for the xover, those capacitors and resistors are likely have value printed on them so should be easy to figure out. As for inductors, sometime they are custom wound and don't value prints on them, so you might have to measure them.

Don't know how old these speaker are, but those electrolytic caps likely a good start. You have to figure out the xover schematic and see which caps are the most important and directly in the signal path... that where you want a good cap in it. For caps there are lots of choices, but Miflex and Mundorf are a good start and they are not very expensive. For power resistor, I like Mills and Mundorf, although Mundorf are cheaper though.

By the way, upgrading things is tricky. What I mean is, if you like the sound of the speaker now, upgrading to more expensive parts doesn't always mean you will ended up liking the sound of the speaker after better though.

Anyway, good luck. Oh! By the way, if you think that's a liberal use of hot glue and silicone in the xover board there? You ain't see nothing yet! Google search article and pics of "Blue Circle Audio" and you'll see why  :lol:

ccrobbins

« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2023, 12:25 pm »
Hey SET!

Yup, found a pair of the exact same ones. Seller had 2. I'm going to listen to them as is for a while once I get the cabinets back. I'm not itching to change things just for change. I just had a hell of a time finding any info on them...

I'll definitely check those out!

Keep you posted!

ccrobbins

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2023, 01:46 pm »
Cabinets are done! Xovers are at Crites but should be back any day now!

ccrobbins

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2023, 04:10 pm »
Got them all back together and the crossovers were handled by Mr. Crites.

I love them! I bought them to clean up and flip but I think I'm going to keep them. I don't think they will replace the NAS squires in my office but my wife loves them and they are in the living room!

I haven't seen much online about these, if you can find a set I'd grab them. mine sat on FB marketplace for months and I was able to get them for cheap. I have about $400 total in them and I feel like I stole something...

JCarney

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2023, 04:18 pm »
They aint done until you post pics of them. :lol: We need pics damit. 8)

Congrats on the completion, and for deciding they are not going anywhere. Way cool your wife likes them.

JCarney

ccrobbins

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2023, 04:40 pm »
Here they are in their almost final resting place. I'm making some stands currently to hide the Pinnacle subs I picked up.