ZU Cubes with some love from GR Research

jparkhur

Re: ZU Cubes with some love from GR Research
« Reply #20 on: 4 Oct 2016, 04:21 pm »
Yup, I get it...  Here is my project, do as you will with it.. My 12 year old likes them... Here are the woofer comparisons... Zu to Stock 10 inch

Stock Em Driver no change

Zu driver with modifications - document in two different periodicals.. Same graph

jparkhur

« Reply #21 on: 4 Oct 2016, 04:23 pm »
Which one looks better? 

undertow

« Reply #22 on: 4 Oct 2016, 04:33 pm »
These guys from Utah "use" to make the type you just did. It looks like they updated to using the 8" eminence with a soft dome to basically correct a lot of what you were trying to do with the 10" coax via 8" probably voices better without that resonance running full range, and obviously a more tame tweeter with still gaining 95 db sensitivity.

Honestly at $700 per pair it would be hard to build DIY for a lot less factoring in cabinets, finish, crossover tuning etc...!

http://www.tektondesign.com/loremonitors.html

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 4 Oct 2016, 06:47 pm »
I have worked with the Alpha 8 woofer too. Here is something I tested them with.

And that woofer does sound pretty good. But it has a lot of break up and can't really be used very high. I had to use an elliptical filter to control the break up and had to do the same for the tweeter to allow it to play down low enough to reach it without destroying the tweeter. For this one I used our GR-T6 high sensitivity tweeter.

It is really hard to get a tweeter to play low enough to reach the Alpha 8. If you let it play up any higher though the break up is pretty bad.

I also tried it with the Neo 3 pdr as it is capable of playing down low enough to reach it. Not much else will though. Here is is with the Neo 3 pdr.

This last one was NOT a 1 watt/1 meter measurement. The actual sensitivity was about 91db.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 4 Oct 2016, 06:52 pm »
You will also never get 96db worth of sensitivity out on a design using a single Eminence Alpha 8 woofer as the baffle step loss will drop it down into the 91db range. 91.5db is about it. And rating it above the step loss is deceptive.

undertow

« Reply #25 on: 4 Oct 2016, 06:56 pm »
Yeah they have some big claims, and some pretty out there designs! Pricing is not bad if close to the truth  :oops:

In any case looks like they took this design and sorta turned it into a higher efficiency version of some of the Mcintosh speakers. Probably not really 98 db either though as you said.

http://www.tektondesign.com/ddimpact.html

jparkhur

« Reply #26 on: 4 Oct 2016, 06:59 pm »
I would build the X-LS Encore kit over this any day.. and it would be cheaper....  (I had credit to use at PE)   Its a killer at 169 ish either way... Still have a pair in some room...

This entire thing was a test case to see what would happen.  It was fun, non economical, but I learned something...

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 4 Oct 2016, 07:19 pm »
Yeah they have some big claims, and some pretty out there designs! Pricing is not bad if close to the truth  :oops:

In any case looks like they took this design and sorta turned it into a higher efficiency version of some of the Mcintosh speakers. Probably not really 98 db either though as you said.

http://www.tektondesign.com/ddimpact.html

:duh: :duh: :duh: Someone help them please.  :duh: :duh: :duh:

undertow

« Reply #28 on: 4 Oct 2016, 07:21 pm »
Looks like you could offer your design services, and sell them on your credibility attached to the product  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 4 Oct 2016, 07:23 pm »
Looks like you could offer your design services, and sell them on your credibility attached to the product  :thumb:

I'm not opposed to helping anyone if they are interested.

undertow

« Reply #30 on: 4 Oct 2016, 07:25 pm »
Send them an offer. They obviously do some business, and have quite a few models!

jparkhur

ZU Cubes with some love from GR Research
« Reply #31 on: 17 Jan 2022, 07:49 pm »
Final resting place for the Cubes... with the GR XO update