Sonneteer Alabaster- amazing!

Sense63

Sonneteer Alabaster- amazing!
« on: 20 Aug 2016, 03:33 pm »
Here's my story and I'm sticking to it:

I recently traded an integrated amp for a used Campion as I wanted to hear for myself if the Sonneteer would live up to everything I've read about it.  I wasn't expecting much, but within 30 minutes of warming up, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  The Campion was extremely musical, full of detail and just plain fun to listen to.  This continued for the next few days and I was spending much more time listening to music than I had in many months.  I wanted to let the distributor (and Sonneteer) know what a special product they had.  I was told during the conversation that if I liked the Campion this much, I would love the Alabaster as everything was improved with slightly more power.  I contacted Well Rounded Sound (the US dealer) and we were able to work out a trade deal as he had a customer who was looking for a Campion.  Btw, Jerry at Well Rounded Sound is a terrific guy to work with.

I received the new Alabaster about 4 days later and started the break-in in cycle.  I wanted to get at least 50 hours of play time on the unit before I started listening critically.  At about the 50 hour mark, I sat down one night at about 8 pm and didn't go to bed until almost 1am listening to and enjoying the music coming out of my Omega 1.5 high output floorstanders.  The reason I was so taken with the Alabaster was because I was drawn into the music by an amp that did everything right.  It is detailed, but not analytical.  It is musical and produces the right tone with music.  It has drive and finesse at the same time.  It does nuance extremely well and also can provide excellent bottom end when needed.  The Alabaster is tough to categorize as it sounds like the best tube amp, but also the best solid state amp.  It does the best balancing act of any amp I've ever heard.

I had read about the Sonneteer offerings over the years, but never pulled the trigger as it didn't seem like the right time.  Shame on me!  This is one of the best solid state integrated amps I've ever heard regardless of price.  I don't say that lightly because I've heard a ton of integrated amps over the years and none of them impressed me in all areas.  (That's probably the reason I've gone through so many.)  This is definitely a keeper!  Kudos to Sonneteer for making such a fine musical instrument at such an affordable price.   :thumb:

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
Re: Sonneteer Alabaster- amazing!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2016, 12:02 am »
Great to hear that you're happy with the Alabaster. Soooo.... Orton?

- Woody

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2016, 12:17 am »
Nice write-up. I fought the temptation when you offered the Campion for sale. I knew it wouldn't last long.

Sense63

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:18 am »
Woody-. I think I'll stay with the Alabaster.  It's perfect for what I've got.

Sense63

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:19 am »
Timind-. You should have contacted me.......

Beatlebum

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:31 am »
Scott,

Glad to hear you found an amp that works for you in your system. What are your thoughts versus the Berning (Linear Tube Audio actually)amp you had?

Thanks,

Tim

Sense63

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2016, 04:04 am »
Scott,

Glad to hear you found an amp that works for you in your system. What are your thoughts versus the Berning (Linear Tube Audio actually)amp you had?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim- PM coming your way.

Arcadia Audio

• North American Agent for Sonneteer
    • http://www.arcadiaaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2016, 05:00 pm »
Awesome to hear you are happy with the Alabaster and your dealings with Well Rounded Sound! 

Scott Wylde
North American Agent for Sonneteer