Low profile speaker lift / jack

brj

Low profile speaker lift / jack
« on: 24 Mar 2019, 09:55 pm »
(This is not the ideal circle for this topic, but aside from maybe 'Enclosures', no other circle seemed any more relevant.  Move if desired.)

I'm looking for an ultra low profile lift/jack to help me adjust/move my speaker stack (large 2-way monitors on matching subs).  Each stack weighs in at roughly 150 lbs, and if I raise my isolation platforms to their max extent, I can just barely get 1.5" of clearance underneath.

I'm aware of the Wilson Audio Flat Jack, but can't justify the price, despite it looking near ideal.

The California Car Cover Company Low Profile Billet Aluminum Jack looks nearly identical for a fraction of the price, though with a lift surface much smaller and less ideal for balancing a speaker.  I would absolutely have to have a friend manage the balance of the speaker while in use.

I've explored various motorcycle lifts, floor jacks, and material handling lifts, but havne't found anything that is as low profile or not insanely priced for such an occasional use piece of gear.  Any one else have any suggested leads?

(And yes, I could un-stack my speakers every time to make adjustments or moves, but it's a ROYAL pain to do so, and a dicey operation at that given their weight and lack of ready hand holds.  My isolation platforms have a grippy surface, and trying to get my subs (alone) aligned on them required fingernail grips into the driver frame edges that left me sweating bullets and with finger tips as shredded as if I'd been rock climbing.)

Thanks!

Branson4020

Re: Low profile speaker lift / jack
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2019, 10:50 pm »
Seems like a hand truck would be right tool to move those puppies around.  Of course that does require tilting them a bit.

brj

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2019, 11:11 pm »
Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, I'm looking for something that can the stack as level as possible while lifting.  My most immediate need is to reset the isolation platforms, and I've found that any time I tilt the stack, it tends to un-center the corners in the direction of the tilt.  I've burned a couple of hours trying to find a way around that challenging, using air wedges and similar, and it just doesn't work.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2019, 11:30 pm »
Some L bracket steel, and a few pulleys and rope. Or some 2by4s..
You would need to fashion the brackets to be stable and perhaps bolted together ( A large A frame) well over the speakers to the ground. Box frame might be more usable, but harder to make stiff. A few pulleys and some rope. Since you already can lift them a inch or so, easy to get the rope under. Perhaps some wide straps under, attached to the rope?
Anyway I lift stacks of equipment to clean under them with rope (light enough I do not need the pulleys. I tie to one side and lift, then tie off. so two ropes hold up say 40 lbs of gear.. easy.

Or use a board under the speaker box with a way to lift the board from the sides with pulleys...

brj

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2019, 01:20 am »
I thought of some steel support bars (or even a plate) underneath the isolation platform and a wide material lift under those, but all of the material lifts that I looked at were quite pricey indeed.

An A-frame is certainly possible from a pure engineering perspective, but that would be quite a construction to clear the height of the stack and still give me room to lift.  I'd prefer to keep it simple and compact if possible.  The other issue is dealing with an offset center of gravity.

(An engine hoist or shop crane with a leveler on it might work, but again, the height needed would be considerable once you account for the angles to clear the cabinets and the chains, etc..)

Phil, thanks for the input.  As mentioned, I've used the air wedges but they don't let me keep the stack level.  The motorcycle jack, etc. I've also considered, but it's still too tall.  (3.5" vs. the needed 1.5" or less.)

Thanks.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2019, 01:41 am »
The Wilson lift looks like the car lift you've posted with a different head. I'd see if the head can be replaced with something made at a machine shop and if yes if you could get it fabricated at a reasonable price.

There's nothing else out there I know of with a height of less than 2" closed.

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2019, 03:58 pm »

Phil, thanks for the input.  As mentioned, I've used the air wedges but they don't let me keep the stack level.  The motorcycle jack, etc. I've also considered, but it's still too tall.  (3.5" vs. the needed 1.5" or less.)

Thanks.

What about using a couple -- or maybe one on each corner?   Certainly cheap enough, and unless I'm not understanding something, I don't see any reason you couldn't keep things mostly level if you slowly and carefully inflate a lil at a time as you move from corner to corner.   

Hard to visualize your situation -- is it necessary to maintain 100% perfectly level at all times?

PS:   Great product Phil.  I wasn't aware of the Air Bladder.  Thanks for the link!     :thumb:

brj

« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2019, 07:17 pm »
I have 3 air wedges purchased as part of a set and have tried quite a few permutations already.  The problem is that they are really only suited to generating small amounts of lift, perhaps 2" at the extreme limit.  At the 1.5" of clearance that I already have from my isolation platforms in their extended position, the wedges are effectively maxed out and can't generate enough additional upward lift to unload my platforms completely.  (You lose some effective max lift height because they sink into the carpet a bit.  I've actually tried expanding them so far that I had an inflation bulb blow off.)  I probably need another 2 inches of lift to completely unload the footers of the isolation platform and give me room to work.  That would require a 4" lift capable air wedge, which I haven't seen in the smaller sizes appropriate to my platform dimensions.

I could try to add some wood or similar under the platform to reduce the existing 1.5" gap and thus extend the effective limits of the wedges.  I didn't only because that adds to the complexity and I didn't want to risk it without having a friend over to act as a 'spotter'.  Could I make it work if I bought more wedges and started jury-rigging the setup?  Probably.  But I would rather find a more appropriate tool for this particular job if one exists.

The air wedges are quite impressively effective little devices when you're using them within their capabilities, however.  I'm glad I have some, as I've used them in multiple capacities since I grabbed them.

(For those interested, be aware that there is some bouncing and rocking when using these - you likely won't have a completely stable lift if you expand them to their limits.  The bladders tend to round out a bit when inflating, plus you're dealing with the flexible nature of an air bladder.  Really they are best suited for generating some initial clearance, after which you can insert the appropriate tool for whatever else you want to do next.)

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2019, 07:23 pm »
Maybe the airjack XL would give you enough clearance?

I take my stack apart when I need to move the speakers.  A PITA yes, but there is no way I can move my monitors (Paradigm Studio Reference 20's) on stands (DIY subwoofers) together.  My stack likely only weighs around 100 per side, but with spikes on the sub/stands it is not worth trying to do it when coupled.

I have only had to do it once so far, though I wish I had come out 1-2 inches further from the front wall.

brj

« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2019, 07:27 pm »
By the way, one point to mention explicitly...

Lifting it unevenly is fine.  Lowering it is the challenge.  I need all 4 corners to load up again at the same rate/angle, otherwise I'll skew the centering of the isolation footers.  That's really why any set of multiple devices, whether air jacks or the mini furniture jacks, will have a problem.

brj

« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2019, 03:53 am »
Doublej, I missed your post - thanks for the suggestion!

I don't have any ties to a local machine shop, but I suppose I can Google for one.  The only wrinkle might be trying to figure out what kind of stop keeps the platform level (and braced) throughout the lifting process.  I can't see enough to be able to tell...

Don_S

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2019, 05:54 am »
It is probably out of your price range but I post it anyway for others to see in the future.  I can't find it on the website yet.  I think it is new.  IsoAcoustic now offers a jack for installing GAIA-Titan isolation footers on monster speakers. I don't think it can be used to move speakers from one place to another. Jacks are not usually designed for moving items, just raising them up.

WGH

« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2019, 02:18 pm »
How about something as simple as furniture moving straps? 5" wide straps are available as an extra.

Forearm Forklift Straps $18
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Forearm-Forklift-9-4-ft-L-x-3-in-Moving-Straps-FF000012/202300612

Home Depot has shoulder straps for $25.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nielsen-Products-Ready-Lifter-Lifting-Aid-NP8500/204726797

brj

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2019, 03:58 am »
Actually, I can live without the wheels.  It'd definitely be a plus, but my primary need is simply to lift the stack while keeping it level, so I can adjust the isolation footers at the corners of the platform.  Putting a lazy susan on the platform would let me adjust the aim of the speakers easily as well.

WGH, I've used such straps to move a piano.  Worked pretty well.  Trying to hold a speaker steady in position would be a bit harder, but I could probably make that work, though the spacing it pretty tight around my speakers.  I was just hoping for a solution that I could wrangle without help.

Bob2, I looked at several of the scissor style lifts.  They'd be ideal if I could find one that met my 1.5" minimum height requirement.

Don, I didn't find a link to the new IsoAcoustics lift either... I'll keep looking, but should you happen to find a link, please post it!  Any idea what it will cost?

Thanks all!

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2019, 01:35 pm »
Finding a lift with your requirements may not be out there unless custom made.
Why not put good quality casters on your speakers?
I have them on my Focals. The best spot in my room for the speakers puts them in line with a door
that could hit one of them. The casters make this a non issue.
Now they are always in the best spot for sound and out of the way when needed..
Just a thought..