Portable (wireless?) speaker recommendations What do you love?

nicksgem10s

Hello,

I'm hoping AC can help me from going into crazy research and analysis on some portable (wireless also?) recommendations for the following 3 applications. I posted in C&C but I am more concerned with enjoyment and sound quality than the lowest priced options.

I added office system for anyone that has some great ideas to add for that one.  I appreciate the help of all on this board and hope to be getting back to being more involved in audio in the near future!

I use an Android LG phone and have a Tidal subscription if that helps.

1.  Portable speaker to use for enjoying music on the go:  shower, beach, etc

2.  Portable jambox/boombox:  parties in the backyard, vacation, capable of hitting higher volume levels for jamming

3.  Office system

Thanks for any helpful ideas you have.

-Nick

santacore

I can recommend the Riva Turbo X. It can be wired or wireless. Built solid and designed in Southern California by a friend. They have bigger units, but this one is a sweet spot for portable size/sound.

apstoltz

I have had a few over the years and really like the jbl stuff more specific the extreme. It is portable, water proof and can get loud for outdoor party's.

randytsuch

I can recommend the Riva Turbo X. It can be wired or wireless. Built solid and designed in Southern California by a friend. They have bigger units, but this one is a sweet spot for portable size/sound.

Just happened to see this somewhere else, monoprice selling refurbs
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39396

mcgsxr

I use this iHome mono portable for use around the house or a trip to a cottage.

Would not recommend for higher volume, it can distort.

Bob Stark

Hey Nick,

A buddy and I go to Axpona every year.  This year he took me to the Vanatoo speaker room.  Walking inside, I had near zero expectations of good or even decent sound.  Vanatoo makes 2 different speakers, the Transparent One Encore at $599 and a pair at about $359.  The smaller ones are about time the size of the through in speakers that come with many computers.  The more expensive ones are twice the size of the smaller ones.  Both are very heavy to lift.  Both have separate amps for each driver inside, preamp, and DAC built in.  The only thing you need is a mart phone to get all the music you could want.  There are connections on the back for most any thing you wish to connect with.  They played music on these with no subwoofer playing although they had one in the room to use.  The bass was surprisingly deep and clear, and the mids and uppers were WAY beyond what I thought I'd be hearing.  I have a very nice system at home and these little speakers have transparency, detail, and dynamics that are much beyond their little size.  My home system has the bigger Vapor speakers, Nuforce Ref 9 mono amps, TRL DUDE preamp, MW 5400 CD/SACD.  With either Vanatoo speaker you can also plug a subwoofer into them and get even better sound with much deeper bass.  My friend bought a pair shortly after the show to use outside.  The TO Encores are new as of this year.  The smaller ones have been around for about 4-5 years.  There aren't as many reviews on the newer ones yet, but many on the smaller ones.  These will make great computer speakers also, plus you can use them anywhere you have an outlet.  You will need to plug each one in.  There is a connection wire to use between the speakers.  If your phone is within 100 ft. you will be able to dial up some music.  You should at least investigate these speakers for use if you can plug them in.

If you want totally wireless with the ability to use your phone, the Ultimate Ears Wonderboom speakers have very good tone with zero boom but nicely integrated bass, and can be linked together using more than one speaker to get more coverage and volume.  Ultimate volume might be a problem if you want to entertain a big party, however. 

Bob

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama

I have the Riva Arena. The fidelity is amazing. Beat everything that Best Buy had on display by a wide margin.

theater_lover

https://www.youtube.com/user/clavinetjunkie

A great source for reviews and comparisons of portable audio.  I have found his recommendations/reviews to be excellent and spot on.

witchdoctor

Don't lock in on a "speaker" think "ecosystem". You want a system where you can control music in every room you want (including outdoors/portable) from an app on your device. Yamaha makes Musicast, Sound United makes Heos ,
NAD makes Bluos and DTS makes Play-Fi.

I use the Play-Fi system so here is an idea for portable:

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-The-One-Ebony-veneer/dp/B01MZYTWCJ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=playfi+portable&qid=1563391513&s=gateway&sr=8-4

or

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Rechargeable-Compact-Wireless-Streaming/dp/B00NAMZBQS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=polk+playfi+portable&qid=1563391595&s=gateway&sr=8-1

and a pair of these for your office:

https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-W7-Wireless-Speaker/dp/B00XY6FIE0/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=playfi+portable&qid=1563391556&s=gateway&sr=8-6

The Polk and DefTech products are both about 75% off so get em while they last. You can run everything including Tidal from the mobile app.

BobM

Re: Portable (wireless?) speaker recommendations What do you love?
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2019, 08:59 pm »
JBL Charge 3 - waterproof, battery lasts a long time, excellent sound and great bass from something so compact. Multiple color choices. Just be wary of rip off Chinese clones that sound like crap. Buy it from a reputable shop.

nicksgem10s

Re: Portable (wireless?) speaker recommendations What do you love?
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2019, 06:49 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/user/clavinetjunkie

A great source for reviews and comparisons of portable audio.  I have found his recommendations/reviews to be excellent and spot on.

Thanks for all the great and helpful replies.  Theater_lover thanks for putting me on to Oluv's gadgets on youtube.  Dude is entertaining and his reviews are super cool with amazing production quality when listened to on headphones.

Oluv helped me find the Anker Soundcore Motion+ which has been amazing since I bought it a couple of months ago.  It rocks and sounds great.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions including witchdoctor with the ecosystem comments.  Looking at those Definitive Technologies for the office.