Salk bang for the buck

Nybroker

Salk bang for the buck
« on: 6 Jul 2019, 04:17 pm »
Which Salk offers the best bang for the buck!!

Saturn94

Re: Salk bang for the buck
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2019, 05:38 pm »
I would say the standard Songtower.

Years ago I was able to compare the Songtower against the HT2-TL.  I was astonished how alike they sounded.  Yes, the HT2-TL was better (not by a lot though), but it was also double the price.

IMO, you have to go WAY up in price for Salks that are a big improvement over the Songtower.

DEP14

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2019, 09:27 pm »
Song 3 encore.

kclark0395

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2019, 05:40 pm »
I have standard Soundtowers and couldn't be happier; really fantastic sounding speakers and didn't need a big dollar system around them to perform so well.

jd3

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2019, 03:58 pm »
I'd normally say the SongTower (I'm on my third pair...a speaker I keep coming back to) but I think the Song3 series is the real value now for price vs. performance. 

maplemusic

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2019, 04:19 pm »
I think Song 3 is the best bang for buck. Not sure if there really is a $900 difference to move to Song 3 A and $1200 difference moving to BeAT, when mostly the tweeter, base woofer and cabinet are almost the same. I am not sure if just the mid range driver justifies the price differential over the standard song 3.

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2019, 12:28 pm »
Hi Guys,

The Song 3's are the third Salk Sound speakers I've bought.  I've never heard a pair of Songtowers as I live in Australia and its not easy to find someone who owns Jim's speakers.  Previously, I've had a pair of older style HT2's using the LCY tweeter. I also have a pair of HT3's which use the Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter (currently in storage).  These are the first speakers I've heard which the RAAL ribbon tweeter and they certainly sound great.

In my opinion it depends what type of sound you want from a pair of speakers.  The SEAS mid bass is certainly better performing i.e HT2 and HT3's than the smaller midrange in the Song 3's.  The top end is very natural sounding and seems to offer the best of both worlds ie. dome vs ribbon.  The bass is truely excellent and almost as good as the HT3's but the major difference is the Song 3's are quite efficient so no need for a high output amplifier.

The one thing I know is that having a 3 way provides the opportunity for the midrange to work in within its capabilities and in this case the midrange is very good.  I'd give Jim a call as he will steer you in the right direction.  Good luck.

Btw I bought the song 3's secondhand in Perth, Western Australia and saved a fortune on them.

Cheers Rod