tape loop attenuation

Listens2tubes

tape loop attenuation
« on: 27 Jan 2007, 02:13 am »
I decided to bring out the old Teac A-4010s reel to reel, having some tapes I made as a kid to transcribe to CD. With the deck plugged into Tape 1 I get a sharp click when switching to Tape 1 with the rotary selector or the Input /Tape switch when the Tape1/Tape2 switch is on Tape 1. Plus the gain is too high so turning the volume past 9 o'clock produces click/thuds. I tried Tape 2 input which eliminates the clicks from the rotary selector only.  :scratch: Is there a way to attenuate the tape decks output?

avahifi

Re: tape loop attenuation
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2007, 08:01 pm »
I don't know of any way of taming the tape decks output without loading it down.  Note that the tape 1 and tape 2 inputs on our preamps do not short to ground when not used as all the other inputs do, must do it this way to allow monitoring.  This could be the source of your switching clicks if there is a bit of dc leakage on the outputs of that old tape deck.  The input will be switched from no DC to a step function of whatever DC level there is there, and that will definitely cause a pop sound.

Keep the volume turned down on the preamp when using the tape deck, that is what that control is there for.

Note that the volume control is after the tape outputs so that (tape outputs) goes out full line level from whatever the source selected is doing.

Regards,

Frank

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2007, 08:02 pm »
Are you sure there is not an output level control on the tape deck itself?

Frank

Listens2tubes

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2007, 03:46 am »
Yes there is a playback level on the preamp of the deck. Problem turned out to be a missing interconnect between the deck and the record/playback preamp. :duh: So I was plugged into the tape heads (marked Playback Out) since I was getting no signal from the Output. There should have been an IC between Playback Out on the deck and Playback In on the pre.  :roll: A diagram in the service manual I recieved today cleared things up. :) So a pair of 6 in. interconnects will be my next project. Thanks for your replies Frank.