Replicate the Line Source series of speakers

Mike 1960

Replicate the Line Source series of speakers
« on: 23 Oct 2021, 04:17 pm »
Thanks guys. I've had my eye on this idea of line source for a long time. Way before I even knew this site existed. Back in the early 2000s actually. I wasn't currently active in the hobby. Just ideas going through my head. That hobby faded when career and family took precedence late 80s. So now I'm playing catch-up to modern tech.
There's a little more history of me and my journey in speaker building.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM9MUEjEtvkUCmBykRSDTDjcHaTPpn7BiTCAo-W
The link above is another project will be leaning into. The EV Interface 3 series 3.
I still have the original enclosures.  Wiil be using
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMhPZDBO1ggESHHDiQwLqJfx44Ng8a3VIzUmmRo
https://www.parts-express.com/Visaton-W200S-8-8-Woofer-with-Treated-Paper-Cone-8-Ohm-292-572
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DC28F-8-1-1-8-Silk-Dome-Tweeter-275-070

Instead I will turn the enclosure sideways 90 degrees to mount the woofer and tweeter and leave the passive on the front, now the side.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2021, 01:49 pm by Mike 1960 »

Mike 1960

Re: Replicate the Line Source series of speakers
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2021, 04:55 pm »
I have to say that the originals where fantastic.
You couldn't have more "fun" with a set of speakers!
The EV Series 3 Interface 3. Back in 1978

Mike 1960

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2021, 04:01 pm »
Pretty quiet here......
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2021, 01:49 pm by Mike 1960 »

NoahH

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2021, 01:42 pm »
Hi Mike,
The links on photos above were broken, and I think your thread came on the heels of a separate one with some confusion about the state of the Line Force speakers. I think that is why the thread has not had much pickup.

-Noah

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2021, 12:20 pm »
Yep, your links didn't work.

Mike 1960

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2021, 05:32 pm »
  :duh:    Not sure how then. Trying to be a good supporter of the site. Please help then.....

Mike 1960

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2021, 05:37 pm »
Darn why would'nt the links work? Copy and paste?

Mike 1960

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2021, 06:08 pm »
Glad to see that Dan is still watching at least and if you still are, then I am still working on a fix to your 3 ohm problem.
At least as you presented it to me. I now get the impedance thing. I tried to figure it out on my own. Never before have I worked past 2 drivers.
Thats' why I'm here, on this site! To see where this brings me in my journey to the best  I can do, the best sound ever.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2021, 06:14 pm »
Darn why would'nt the links work? Copy and paste?

You need to use the images from the host site, not the google search image cache which I believe is tied to your browser's temporary storage.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2021, 07:09 pm »
Never before have I worked past 2 drivers.
Thats' why I'm here, on this site! To see where this brings me in my journey to the best  I can do, the best sound ever.
So you want to jump from a two speaker two way to a line source.  Ambitious. Not my recommended choice, but whatever floats your boat.  If you're looking for "Best Sound" put up a WTB ad for Danny's LS9 or LS6 designs.  Heck, throw enough money at it and I'll sell you mine!

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2021, 02:27 pm »
Someone was just telling me that they were downsizing and they were going to have to sell their LS-9's.

I told them they could list them for sale here in our forum on AC.

S Clark

« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2021, 02:59 pm »
Someone was just telling me that they were downsizing and they were going to have to sell their LS-9's.

I told them they could list them for sale here in our forum on AC.
That's sad.  They do so much so well, but they need space.  Hope they find a new home. 

Mike 1960

« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2021, 02:47 pm »
You need to use the images from the host site, not the google search image cache which I believe is tied to your browser's temporary storage.

They aren't from a google search but from my google photos.
I guess the link works for me but no one else.  :roll:
I will see if I can correct the links.....

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2021, 07:02 pm »
So you want to jump from a two speaker two way to a line source.  Ambitious. Not my recommended choice, but whatever floats your boat.  If you're looking for "Best Sound" put up a WTB ad for Danny's LS9 or LS6 designs.  Heck, throw enough money at it and I'll sell you mine!

Are those Moho LS-9’s???  Moho is my all time fav veneer.

Robert

S Clark

« Reply #14 on: 4 Nov 2021, 07:11 pm »

Robert
Yep.  The cabinets were close outs just weeks before AV 123 declared bankruptcy- but they delivered.  I had a kit and had cut out the cabinets, but I was stuck on figuring out how to veneer such large panels. Then these cabinets fell into my lap.   
The internals were bought from Danny- a nice step up with No Rez and hand wired crossovers (with better caps, coils, and resistors)

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #15 on: 4 Nov 2021, 07:27 pm »
Yep.  The cabinets were close outs just weeks before AV 123 declared bankruptcy- but they delivered.  I had a kit and had cut out the cabinets, but I was stuck on figuring out how to veneer such large panels. Then these cabinets fell into my lap.   
The internals were bought from Danny- a nice step up with No Rez and hand wired crossovers (with better caps, coils, and resistors)

Gorgeous!  I'm jealous you were able to get these bare cabs and do the upgrades.  Keep me in mind if you ever decide to sell.  ;)

Robert

Mike 1960

« Reply #16 on: 5 Nov 2021, 01:52 pm »

Think I've got it now. Duh... I never noticed the [Upload and insert image] button on the lower left.  :roll:

Mike 1960

« Reply #17 on: 5 Nov 2021, 02:24 pm »

Robert

Why is that so ambitious? The enclosure construction or something else. It's still just a two way speaker. And in the immortal works of JFK. "We choose to go to the moon, not because it is easy but because it is hard" Are you catching my drift?
I'm in love with the looks of these. Don't know what they sound like, but I can imagine.
For me this hobby means being original. I don't want to steal, mimic or copy anybody's hard work. The best I can do is search out good info from people like you guys, who ever is willing.
Ya, maybe I am daft. But I intend to have fun getting it right.

Mike 1960

« Reply #18 on: 5 Nov 2021, 02:32 pm »
That's sad.  They do so much so well, but they need space.  Hope they find a new home.

Please explain. 'they need space'. Like wide room or deep room etc.
Before I even attempt to build them I have to finish my new listening room in a renovated basement.
I haven't heard that until now.

Won't wall treatment fix that? The new room is not really that wide but deep enough to pull the speakers out from the back wall at least 4  to 6 feet.

S Clark

« Reply #19 on: 5 Nov 2021, 08:55 pm »
Please explain. 'they need space'. Like wide room or deep room etc.
Before I even attempt to build them I have to finish my new listening room in a renovated basement.
I haven't heard that until now.

Won't wall treatment fix that? The new room is not really that wide but deep enough to pull the speakers out from the back wall at least 4  to 6 feet.
"They need space".... the LS 9 speakers can pressurize a room due to the large volume of air moved.  It can result in peaks in the bass ranges depending on the room size and configuration.  Larger rooms have less issues.  Mine are in a 25'x 30' room that opens to another large room, and I still have treatments to bring down a 120 Hz peak. 
Your design might not have the same effects.

The comment about designing a set being ambitions is from my experience in helping a student build an open baffle line source project speaker.
Using professional measurement gear, we still had a devil of time getting meaningful measurements.  Completely unlike taking measurements for a simpler two way, something I'd done dozens of times.  Finally, we took the project up to Danny got a couple of hours of his time and expertise to get the crossover as good as we could.  It was an eye opener for all of us.  I think it was 2006 and it was before he had built his open baffle line source  models.  I like to think that maybe it helped influence Danny in moving in that direction. 
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2021, 03:13 pm by S Clark »