The Ryder Cup

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
The Ryder Cup
« on: 24 Sep 2021, 02:31 pm »
For golfers & fans thereof, a link to Ryder Cup coverage. Sadly loaded with commercials, but to be expected these days. TANSTAAFL

Enjoy -   https://stream.golfchannel.com/ryder-cup-featured?pid=2033669

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: The Ryder Cup
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2021, 10:49 am »
For streamers with Peacock, the NBC streaming service Xfinity users get for free, they had great coverage on Friday.  No idea what we get on Saturday/Sunday.  NBC says coverage starts at 9am on broadcast stations, 8am on Golf Channel.

Some great matches, some blowouts by Americans over the EU.  Announcers noted that nine of the top ten players in the world are Americans, with only Rohm at number one playing for Europe.  At times he seemed to be single handedly holding back the US onslaught.  Quite a turnaround from the recent years.

ArthurDent

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2021, 12:16 pm »
Thanks for the reminder Let, forgot I signed up for the free Peacock for The Open. The free Golf channel stream did a lot of buffering, and froze a couple of times. They also only carried "featured matches", which was Rahm/Garcia v Thomas/Spieth in the morning foursomes, Rahm/Hatton v Sheffler/DeChambeau in the afternoon 4 ball. Impressive course, should be an interesting weekend. NBC broadcast times are Eastern, so coverage here on network starts at 6 AM today.

Looking forward to the competition, we'll see if the Euro team can pull it together and make it a match. It's a 'funny' game, where the most important distance is the -6" or so between one's ears.

jjss49

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2021, 02:30 pm »
  Looking forward to the competition, we'll see if the Euro team can pull it together and make it a match. It's a 'funny' game, where the most important distance is the -6" or so between one's ears.

For sure, that is why golf is such a fascinating game, played at the highest level, under extreme pressure.  There is real magic to the greatest players being able to deliver under such pressure, when the weight of the world seems to be riding on a swing of the club, or a putt.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2021, 12:19 pm »
The coverage was all day from NBC, one of the few times they've gone nonstop without switching to Golf Channel.  With the score 11-5 Europe will be have to pull off a miracle needing 9 1/2 points to take the trophy home.  Rohm looks unbeatable, but very little support behind him, four of their five points are from him. 

mcmusicman

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2021, 02:44 pm »
JT tossing beers to crowd and knocking one back himself is just epic.  Ryder Cup crowds are the best in all of golf. Insane.

mav52

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2021, 03:00 pm »
I do hope the US can hold on. The Euro's will come out swinging in singles today. Hopefully the US will play smart, and stay focused and bring it home.

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2021, 06:23 pm »
Dechambeau driving the green on 340-yd par 4 (1st hole), then making a long putt for eagle sure was entertaining!  :popcorn:

mcmusicman

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2021, 08:31 pm »
This may just top the 1981 drubbing.  The States could end up with 20 today.

mcmusicman

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2021, 09:08 pm »
I suspect the US will be generous giving putts this afternoon now. It does look like a record defeat for the Europeans.  Ouch. Poulter is the only one that has really showed up for them.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2021, 02:10 pm »
I thought the Europeans played hard on Sunday, they were just outmatched.  And we found out how to beat Rohm, get him pissed enough to slam his club back in the bag, after that he falls apart for for or five holes.  19-9, a massive beat down.  Excepting Rohm, the US youngsters appear dominant for some years to come.

jjss49

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2021, 04:27 pm »
what a great win... the europeans were simply overmatched

this us team will dominate for many cups i suspect, rory has faded, sergio older, rahm is their only real horse to pull the wagon, just not enough - whereas the usa has 6-7 players in their primes at that highest level

in future cups the euros will need to play out of their minds to keep things competitive - these young us players seem impervious to pressure

ArthurDent

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2021, 04:48 pm »
Congratulations to the U.S. Team. Stunning, if not predictable victory. Looks like the Cup will stay Stateside for a while to come. Kudos to the European Team, brutal course, and formidable opponents. Good to see they didn't fold Sunday, they just didn't have enough fire power.

A little surprising the visitors didn't do somewhat better given the course leaned to links style play, along with the wind. Though Sunday the latter wasn't the factor it was on Fri & Sat. The par 3's on that course are simply brutal, the 12th in particular. I'd not paid that close attention to previous PGA events held there, but will look forward to any broadcast in the future, what a challenge.

Difficult to pick out any particular US player for note as all played very well. I suspect we've seen the last Cup play for Lee Westwood, always a class act. Maybe one more for Ian Poulter, Paul Casey & Sergio ? I think we'll definitely see Westwood & Poulter as Euro Captains in the not too distant future. Was good to see them play well on the last day, along with Rory. Hats off to Sergio for hanging in against Bryson in a losing cause, that match could have been a complete blowout. There's some young talent on the European side, but not as many as the U.S., only time will tell they where their new blood will come from.

Next year should be really interesting with the Ryder Cup scheduled only a couple of weeks after the 2021 President's Cup. Am already looking forward to Augusta.

mav52

« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2021, 05:20 pm »
Congrats to the US Ryder Cup Team. Well done.

Next year should be really interesting with the Ryder Cup scheduled only a couple of weeks after the 2021 President's Cup. Am already looking forward to Augusta.
[/quote]

The 2023 Ryder Cup will be held at Marco Simone Golf & Country Club, 10 miles outside Rome, Italy.

Randy

« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2021, 08:25 pm »
I thought the Europeans played hard on Sunday, they were just outmatched.  And we found out how to beat Rohm, get him pissed enough to slam his club back in the bag, after that he falls apart for for or five holes.  19-9, a massive beat down.  Excepting Rohm, the US youngsters appear dominant for some years to come.

Latin American players currently don't qualify for the Ryder Cups teams. There are several good ones, names escape me right now, but maybe they can join up with the Europeans and give them some needed reinforcements.

ArthurDent

« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2021, 10:55 pm »
Congrats to the US Ryder Cup Team. Well done.

The 2023 Ryder Cup will be held at Marco Simone Golf & Country Club, 10 miles outside Rome, Italy.

Interesting thing about the internet, I kept wondering why most of the notations I saw about this years Ryder Cup said 2020. I see what you see on some sites, the thing is Ryder Cups are traditionally held on even years, President's Cup on odd. Here's a link to the Ryder Cup website: https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/dates-announced-for-the-2022-ryder-cup-in-italy ,
which led to my comment. I didn't search enough, and like most of us the PGA doesn't delete outdated info. Here's the latest link, https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/ryder-cup-rescheduled ,and you are correct, they are shifting the two challenges. From here on The Ryder Cup will be odd years, The Pres Cup evens. Location hasn't changed, just the dates.

Thanks for the correction/clarification Mav. Learn something new every day if your open to it.   :thumb:

ArthurDent

« Reply #16 on: 27 Sep 2021, 11:08 pm »
Latin American players currently don't qualify for the Ryder Cups teams. There are several good ones, names escape me right now, but maybe they can join up with the Europeans and give them some needed reinforcements.

But they do qualify for the President's cup, which is the rest of the world players (other than Europe). Good chance we'll see Abraham Ancer playing for Mexico in next year's Presidents Cup, with his dual citizenship it's a no-brainer. Likely Camillo Villegas from Columbia will be on the team as well. One more notable past South American standout is Angel Cabrera. Then there's the South Africans (Luis O), the Aussies, etc.

Randy

« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2021, 11:23 pm »
But they do qualify for the President's cup, which is the rest of the world players (other than Europe). Good chance we'll see Abraham Ancer playing for Mexico in next year's Presidents Cup, with his dual citizenship it's a no-brainer. Likely Camillo Villegas from Columbia will be on the team as well. One more notable past South American standout is Angel Cabrera. Then there's the South Africans (Luis O), the Aussies, etc.

Carlos Ortiz and Joaquin Niemann would be good additions to those teams, too.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2021, 09:48 am »
The Euros don't need any re-enforcement, they've won the majority of Ryder Cup competitions in the last two decades.  They were already strengthened when Europe was added to the Great Britain team in 1979.