BMR-CC

BluesDaddy

Re: BMR-CC
« Reply #20 on: 3 Sep 2019, 03:25 pm »
A little more work done over the last few days. I confess I hate working with the bondo.  I'm using Zinsser BIN shellac-base primer. I've done two coats, but will sand, check for imperfections, re-fill with bondo where needed, sand some more, prime again then move on to the next step. This is my first attempt at doing a finish like this.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 3 Sep 2019, 06:06 pm »
A little more work done over the last few days. I confess I hate working with the bondo.  I'm using Zinsser BIN shellac-base primer. I've done two coats, but will sand, check for imperfections, re-fill with bondo where needed, sand some more, prime again then move on to the next step. This is my first attempt at doing a finish like this.

Looks like you're making good progress!

BluesDaddy

« Reply #22 on: 7 Sep 2019, 12:16 pm »
A little more progress. Sanded down with 400 grit then another coat of Zinsser BIN applied. Starting to shape up.

BluesDaddy

« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2019, 01:30 pm »
I did wind up doing another coat of primer and then sanding again. Yesterday I did the first coat of finish paint, Rustoleum's Appliance Epoxy black. I chose this based on some internet research on 1) ease of use (it's relatively forgiving); 2) durable, high gloss finish.  This is the result. Sorry that the black garbage bags cut to use as drop cloths doesn't provide the best background contrast - but I had them on hand, they're pretty heavy duty, and I didn't have to run to the big box store yet again to buy drop cloths.

Unfortunately, my tendency toward impatience got the better of me and rather than put another coat on it yesterday, I wound up wet sanding (1000 grit) just essentially one coat. Some of the primer wound up showing through. Live and learn. I'll do two coats before wet sanding again.

Tales of a newbie cabinet finisher. The only other cabinet I've ever actually built from scratch was a subwoofer cab for an Adire Tempest almost 20 years ago. For that I just used a spray on hammer finish. One thing I've learned is that while this has been an interesting venture, it's not really something I want to do again. But looking forward to finally getting everything assembled and listening.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #24 on: 16 Sep 2019, 03:55 pm »
I did wind up doing another coat of primer and then sanding again. Yesterday I did the first coat of finish paint, Rustoleum's Appliance Epoxy black. I chose this based on some internet research on 1) ease of use (it's relatively forgiving); 2) durable, high gloss finish.  This is the result. Sorry that the black garbage bags cut to use as drop cloths doesn't provide the best background contrast - but I had them on hand, they're pretty heavy duty, and I didn't have to run to the big box store yet again to buy drop cloths.

Unfortunately, my tendency toward impatience got the better of me and rather than put another coat on it yesterday, I wound up wet sanding (1000 grit) just essentially one coat. Some of the primer wound up showing through. Live and learn. I'll do two coats before wet sanding again.

Tales of a newbie cabinet finisher. The only other cabinet I've ever actually built from scratch was a subwoofer cab for an Adire Tempest almost 20 years ago. For that I just used a spray on hammer finish. One thing I've learned is that while this has been an interesting venture, it's not really something I want to do again. But looking forward to finally getting everything assembled and listening.

Gloss black is a demanding finish - you'll be up and running soon!

BluesDaddy

« Reply #25 on: 23 Sep 2019, 01:57 pm »
Been working. More coats of the epoxy black. Let thoroughly dry/harden. Wet sand with 1000 grit. Repeat. Final wet sanding with 1000 and then 2000 grit. It's not perfect, but not horrid for a first attempt. Next I will use a rubbing compound with foam pads on my drill and then a final glazing compound to bring out the shine. Not intending to clear coat as it won't be where fingers will be tempted to touch. I'll post a picture when the rubbing/glazing is done and then some of the assembly. Can't wait to post impressions of the SOUND, which has been the whole point.

Still haven't decided if I'm going to do a grill cover or not. The black doesn't do so well in pictures so it's hard to see the progress but my fingers feel it.

BluesDaddy

« Reply #26 on: 23 Sep 2019, 11:20 pm »
Last pics before the install. After the rubbing compound and glazing compound and buffing.

It's not perfect and what they say about the finish showing every imperfection is correct. But more than two feet away, it looks pretty darn good.

Now the last leg before I get to actually listen to it!!

uncola

« Reply #27 on: 24 Sep 2019, 12:59 am »
Looks professional to me! 

BluesDaddy

« Reply #28 on: 24 Sep 2019, 03:25 pm »
Very kind. Up close in person you can tell.

BluesDaddy

« Reply #29 on: 26 Sep 2019, 04:03 pm »
I did NOT take pictures installing the crossover boards and drivers. However here are a couple pics of the finished product. The first one, the flash highlights the blemishes in the finish - probably makes it look a little worse than it really is as that's not noticeable to the eye without light at an angle.  The second shows it on the shelf under my TV. It's still a closeup. Sitting on my couch about 9 feet away, it looks fantastic.

I've not listened MUCH as yet since I just got this finished last night and, in the process of setting it up in my system, I discovered one of my subs was not putting out any sound so I spent an hour troubleshooting all the typical things - cables, sub outs, etc., and not coming up with a solution. Appears to be some kind of amp fault.

Obviously I've not rerun Audyssey so I've got it turned off and just roughly level matched the center with my LRs using an SPL meter. As I got the levels dialed in the blending with the LRs started to become seamless. The center I was using is the Emotiva C2 and always struck me, with multi-channel music, is a bit of an edge in the highs. The BMR-CC eliminates that "edge" altogether. All I've had a chance to really listen to is a track or two off of Nils Lofgren's "Acoustic Live". I'm looking forward to listening to a lot more, especially my multi-channel recordings and videos. I'll post more impressions over time as they occur to me. As of now, chalk me up as a very satisfied customer!!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #30 on: 26 Sep 2019, 05:18 pm »
I did NOT take pictures installing the crossover boards and drivers. However here are a couple pics of the finished product. The first one, the flash highlights the blemishes in the finish - probably makes it look a little worse than it really is as that's not noticeable to the eye without light at an angle.  The second shows it on the shelf under my TV. It's still a closeup. Sitting on my couch about 9 feet away, it looks fantastic.

I've not listened MUCH as yet since I just got this finished last night and, in the process of setting it up in my system, I discovered one of my subs was not putting out any sound so I spent an hour troubleshooting all the typical things - cables, sub outs, etc., and not coming up with a solution. Appears to be some kind of amp fault.

Obviously I've not rerun Audyssey so I've got it turned off and just roughly level matched the center with my LRs using an SPL meter. As I got the levels dialed in the blending with the LRs started to become seamless. The center I was using is the Emotiva C2 and always struck me, with multi-channel music, is a bit of an edge in the highs. The BMR-CC eliminates that "edge" altogether. All I've had a chance to really listen to is a track or two off of Nils Lofgren's "Acoustic Live". I'm looking forward to listening to a lot more, especially my multi-channel recordings and videos. I'll post more impressions over time as they occur to me. As of now, chalk me up as a very satisfied customer!!

Great - thanks for the pictures and update!

Carl V

« Reply #31 on: 26 Sep 2019, 05:43 pm »
Congrats.  Enjoy your new LCR sound
For nice Shiny Black Have you ever
considered Wilson Art Vertical Grade Laminate?
Makes for a nice finish.

BluesDaddy

« Reply #32 on: 6 Oct 2019, 12:17 am »
Rick,

Just want to say the more I listen to multi-channel music, either native or "up mixed", the more I'm loving the BMR-CC. It's like having a a great solid center image, but with even more clarity, dynamics, and transparency. Thanks again for designing and getting this "right". Can't see myself ever getting "upgradeitis" in regards to my speaker system unless I win the lottery, move into a HUGE house, and have more money than sense! 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #33 on: 7 Oct 2019, 10:37 pm »
Rick,

Just want to say the more I listen to multi-channel music, either native or "up mixed", the more I'm loving the BMR-CC. It's like having a a great solid center image, but with even more clarity, dynamics, and transparency. Thanks again for designing and getting this "right". Can't see myself ever getting "upgradeitis" in regards to my speaker system unless I win the lottery, move into a HUGE house, and have more money than sense!

Thanks for the update. It's always gratifying to know the results of my work are being enjoyed!  If you can post a followup on the AVS Forum that would be much appreciated too!