The Modwright Showroom in Photographs

Marco Prozzo

The Modwright Showroom in Photographs
« on: 8 Sep 2009, 01:33 am »
As many of you know I've been working with Dan on his advertising campaign, photography, and graphic design.  Way back at RMAF '06 when Dan was having the new workshop built he mentioned that he would need photographs of the new facility.  Well, the shop has been around for a few years now and we've only just finally got around to actually doing some photographs of it.  It's not been for lack of trying, but timing and circumstance have not been in our favor.  Hopefully it's worth the wait as a shoot like this really does require getting a whole lot of ducks in a row to pull off, especially when dealing with a very busy manufacturing facility, as well as Dan's busy schedule. Dan will vouch for me on this one, architectural photography is no day in the park!  Dan's done a beautiful job designing his space and picking out and facilitating all of the various details.  The listening room is outstanding in every respect with the artwork / sound panels by Stephen Yates, and gorgeous speakers by Daedelus.   So, for those of you who cannot make it out to the shop for a cappuccino, some good music, good conversation and a very good dog, here's a few pics of the place, which is ever growing as is Dan's business. 

The listening room from the hot seat (as seen before here):

...and an unusual view from the back of the room...

I think this may be Dan's favorite as it shows the production space, the listening room, flanked by the vital fluids section to the right.

Got amplifiers?  As you can see, this is serious business.  Dan's KWA 150 sold through the first production run and is well into the second.  I own one and can tell you exactly why: It's a damn fine amp!

More amp chassis's

A drawer of custom caps

Board assembly

I think this is one of my favorite shots of the weekend.  We were doing a shot of Dan's desk when the phone rang.  It was Spencer, Dan's 6 year-old son to ask dad when he might be coming home (we both had to take the weekend away from family to do these pictures).  The board on the desk is the new Oppo output stage Dan's designed with Alan Kimmel (hope it's OK to show that...Dan?).  If you visit be sure to bring a treat, or a few treats, to be sure to get past the vicious shop dog, Carter....he paid me off to say that (got a few extra licks).  Carter and Spencer love their dad!

The view from the Captain's Chair:

Dan does some listening on his office system.  There is ample evidence throughout the building that Dan does test and compare his gear with various options. 

I think I'd completely worn out Dan and Carter at this point - this was one of our last shots of the weekend. 

I hope you've enjoyed the virtual tour. 

maxwalrath

Re: The Modwright Showroom in Photographs
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2009, 01:38 am »
Great photos!  :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2009, 02:12 am »
Great photographs Marco, thanks to you and Dan for sharing these with us. 
Just reminds me what a great job Dan has: listening to music, drinking Guinness and listening to my jokes :roll:

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2009, 02:14 am »
Great virtual tour !!!

We appreciate all of the effort put in this "pick through the key hole" eye candy experience. IMO, manufacturers should follow your (Modwright - Dan, with your help) example in more personal approach of presenting their companies, philosophies, personality and love for what their do best.

Mariusz :thumb:

AB

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2009, 02:20 am »
Yowzers!

May I suggest a YouTube video tour of the premises with our host Dan doing the Carol Merrill.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2009, 02:20 am »
Very nice pics and setups.   :thumb:

George

mca

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2009, 02:28 am »
Great photos! There is something about them that makes me even more proud to be a Modwright owner  :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2009, 03:06 am »
Wow, very nice stuff.  Makes it easier to picture when I call Dan and ask about my damn "fill in blank".  LOL.  Just kidding.  A very nice brightly lit work environment.  Looks friendly yet professional.   :thumb:

Nice EML on the TP in the office shots.  HEY!  is that my 3910 on the second lowest shelf??   :lol:

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2009, 03:34 am »
Hey, thanks everyone for the positive feedback.  I'm really pleased that we were able to convey some of the essence of both the space, the company and the man behind it all.  It's pretty apparent from the comments here that the truth comes through, and in that respect it made the job easy.  I agree, it's always nice to know the people behind the product, and it does instill a greater sense of pride in some respects, especially with a man like Dan at the helm of the ship.  I've met a few of the good folks who work for Dan and, as you might expect, they are very much a reflection of the down-to-earth integrity, pride and dedication that you probably get some sense of in the pics of Dan here. I think staff photos should be next, Dan!  Seriously, the feedback here is very helpful - thank you.  Ted, LMAO - Dan wondered if you'd spot  your Denon on the rack!!!  Good eye..I'm impressed!   Yes, Dan's done a great job with the space.  I was impressed that he'd chosen to buy full-spectrum lights - not only does it make it easier to take photographs (for color balance), but it is far easier to work under that light source than it would be standard fluorescent bulbs (which can be very fatiguing to work under all day).  It's definitely a friendly place to visit, and Dan and his family are gracious hosts considering that I stole him away for a holiday weekend to do this shoot.   

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2009, 04:04 am »
Excellent photo's Marco....... :beer:

Wish I had a listening room like that.... :cry: (...one day)

But Dan's the Man.....excellent setup....and work conditions...it shows in his products. :D

See you in Denver..... :dance:

TerryO

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2009, 04:27 am »
Marco,
Did you go across the stream to the roadhouse and try their hamburgers? I had one of the biggest (and best tasting) hamburgers I've ever eaten. Had a great evening with Dan, his wife, the Cardas girls and Kevin Haskins.

The shop still had some finishing touches left to be completed at the time, but it sure turned out nice. Very nice indeed!

Best Regards,
TerryO

AB

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2009, 05:13 am »
Is that the new thin form factor amp there?

I think it is....

:drool:

LOL

Frisco

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2009, 05:46 am »
Absolutely gorgeous pics  :drool:  Nice work Marco  :thumb:

and Dan...great set-up and production space you have there :thumb:

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2009, 10:32 am »
Very nice tour!  Dan you have a great set up(s).

arthurs

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2009, 12:37 pm »
Beautiful pics and nice space Dan! 

What power cords are those on the amps in the second picture?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2009, 01:16 pm »
Large dittos here, also.  Think a RAVE would be standing room only.  What a system (what can be seen) and room and photos.  Many thanks.   

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #16 on: 8 Sep 2009, 02:12 pm »
Great to see the further responses here...thanks! 

Terry - I've had the burgers across the stream previously so I went for the halibut and chips this time.  Also a very worthy selection, but doesn't get the knod of approval from all the Harley riders eating there like their burgers do.  Perhaps it was the Pepsi...Hey, we still had work to do, what can I say!

AB - you called it right, that's the new KWA 100 amp in the listening room on the rack.  I've just completed the TAS ad for Dan and have asked him if he'd like me to post it here.  I'll get back to you on that - may be a separate subject but will notify you one way or the other.

ArthurS - We knew someone would ask about the cords  :lol: The power cords of copious girth in the listening room are by Voodoo.  Dan will have to fill in the model. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #17 on: 8 Sep 2009, 03:25 pm »
Marco,
Thanks for posting the absolutely stunning photos of Dan's impressive shop and listening room. You are truly an artist with the camera. Lou told me the room is really special, both to eye and ear. Words don't do it justice, proving once again that pictures are worth a thousand words.:thumb: There is a nice visual synergy between the KWA 150's and the Daedalus speakers to go with the music synergy that I am fortunate to hear in my own listening room.

Dan,
Very nice shop and room. I will have to plan a visit the next time I am in Portland visitng my daughter.

BTW, the KWA 150 is an incredible amp. For those that haven't had a chance to hear it, it will be featured in both Dan's room and Lou Hinkley's room at RMAF with Daedalus speakers.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2009, 03:45 pm »
Wow. It's nice to see pictures of all the work that has been talked about on your new facility. Very professional yet cozy. Excellent job!

modwright

« Reply #19 on: 8 Sep 2009, 05:57 pm »
Wow, thank you all for the replies and support.  MOST IMPORTANTLY! Thank YOU Marco, for doing such brilliant work with the camera.  Marco is a true gentleman and an artist behind the lens.  He did a great job of making our shop look its best.  I knew he would do a good job, but the results have TRULY surpassed my expectations.

Plug for Marco!: Check out www.marcoprozzo.com to see his other work!

The silver power cables in some of the shots are by VooDoo Cable. They are Diamon Dragons and are exceptional.  In other shots, you will see the LessLoss power cables also used.  The IC's in the system in the office shot and music room shot are VooDoo Cable Stradivarius and Silver Reference.

Once again, thanks guys.  Any of you are always welcome to drop by, should  you be in the area.  Please just call first as we are usually operating at full tilt!

Sincerely,

Dan Wright
President,
ModWright Instruments Inc.