New Alumnus; Any input??

Dmason

New Alumnus; Any input??
« on: 21 Jun 2003, 10:53 pm »
Hello; As per the moderators suggestion, thought you'd like to know I will be receiving my new, used DC's by this time next week. They will be powered by an AES Cary Super Amp and fed by an Arcam CD9. Stand and cable suggestions and any insight welcome. thanks, Dan

brucegel

Re: New Alumnus; Any input??
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2003, 03:26 pm »
Welcome to the site and nice system! I am using the osiris stands 24" inches and they have nice brass adjusters accesible from the top so it's pretty easy to bubble level and height match.Fill them with shot or in my case sand which makes them about 75lbs. apiece and non ringing.Try to place some sand or shot in a attractive soft bag like a wine sack and place it on the tops of the speakers to see if you hear a difference.I could'nt hear any myself since blu tack and the osiris are so rigidly coupling the speaker already.So far as I'm concerned I'm done with that tweak.

cyounkman

Re: New Alumnus; Any input??
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2003, 09:12 pm »
From what I've heard about the Super Amp it should be a great match; particularly since you have the luxury of switching to your other system if you run out of power!  :D

As with all tube amps, I would pay very close attention to vibration control for your AES Cary. I've posted a link elsewhere to my contraption that worked well for a tubed cd player; should work even better on an amp. (Think about it for your cd player too if you haven't.)

Van den Hul is a pretty traditional match, but you might consider silver or coppper/silver cables as well for tubes.

My experience with stands is that they must be solid and non-resonant, but the recommended height is a topic of some contention just now, as you've likely read. See the ongoing thread for more info on that. Since you have the older De Capos, the tweeter may be a little 'hot' compared to the 'i' model (this is my impression), so keep that in mind; but again your results (with your amp) may vary.

The Arcam is a well-regarded player; but something tells me you may be looking into upgrades once you really get the DC's dialed in...