Bryston DB

Calypte

Bryston DB
« on: 7 Feb 2020, 06:46 am »
I have a BDP-pi.  I have firmware 2.36.  Whenever I reboot the system, which I need to do to get new rips into the system, the firmware throws up a message that says, "Sorting music into Bryston DB:15%."  The percent of completion varies, but it always hangs up somewhere between about 14% and 17%.  This process never goes to completion.  I'd like to kill this process, so I can get rid of this annoying message.  Is there a place to do that?  I've looked, and I can't find anything.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston DB
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2020, 12:08 pm »
I have a BDP-pi.  I have firmware 2.36.  Whenever I reboot the system, which I need to do to get new rips into the system, the firmware throws up a message that says, "Sorting music into Bryston DB:15%."  The percent of completion varies, but it always hangs up somewhere between about 14% and 17%.  This process never goes to completion.  I'd like to kill this process, so I can get rid of this annoying message.  Is there a place to do that?  I've looked, and I can't find anything.

Let me ask Chris Rice on that.

james

martydmnt

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2020, 03:34 am »

I had similar behavior (DB never finished rebuilding), and in my case the internal SD card was corrupted and needed to be replaced by Bryston. Of course, YMMV.

Incidentally, is the update function not recognizing newly loaded files?

Calypte

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2020, 09:19 pm »
"Update" successfully brings in new files.  That's not a problem.  Last year I sent my BDP-pi to Gary Dayton to have the firmware back-dated from the disastrous 2.38 to 2.36.  He at first thought my problem with 2.38 was due to a bad SD card.  He checked the SD card and declared it OK.  He reloaded 2.36 as I had requested, which has performed reliably -- except, maybe, for the DB rebuild issue (I don't know).  Every time someone talks about one of the newer firmware versions, I start thinking, "Hmm, maybe I should update my firmware."  But then I remind myself of my earlier bad experience with an "upgrade."  It's too difficult to go backwards to take the risk.

martydmnt

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:28 pm »
I misunderstood, I thought you were saying new files were not being added unless you rebooted.

I'm currently running 2.42 2019-12-02 without issue. I did have a problem with the previous BIOS version that if I plugged in a USB dvd drive to rip a disc it would unmount the external drive where I store my files and I couldn't remount it unless I shut the unit down, removed the USB dvd drive, and then powered up. I haven't tried it since updating the firmware to see if that is resolved. I rarely rip directly on the Pi as I typically rip to ALAC in iTunes and then transfer to the Pi.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2020, 04:43 pm »
I misunderstood, I thought you were saying new files were not being added unless you rebooted.

I'm currently running 2.42 2019-12-02 without issue. I did have a problem with the previous BIOS version that if I plugged in a USB dvd drive to rip a disc it would unmount the external drive where I store my files and I couldn't remount it unless I shut the unit down, removed the USB dvd drive, and then powered up. I haven't tried it since updating the firmware to see if that is resolved. I rarely rip directly on the Pi as I typically rip to ALAC in iTunes and then transfer to the Pi.

Is the DVD drive bus powered or does it have its own power supply?

Chris

martydmnt

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2020, 02:32 am »
Chris, it was bus powered. Now that you bring that up, I vaguely remember you or someone else from Bryston mentioning the Pi had enough oomph to run one device on the USB bus power. So I presume it must have shut down the hard drive. Thanks for jogging my memory.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2020, 01:33 pm »
Chris, it was bus powered. Now that you bring that up, I vaguely remember you or someone else from Bryston mentioning the Pi had enough oomph to run one device on the USB bus power. So I presume it must have shut down the hard drive. Thanks for jogging my memory.

One of the things I noticed when we where designing the BOT-1 is that optical drives consumed more current then your typical mobile USB hard drive, enough that we had difficulties powering the BOT off the BDP-2s USB ports.  The BOT isn't a perfect example as we used linear regulators where most manufacturers if not all would use more efficient switching regulators. 

Chris