Jeff Rowland Design Group === Daemon integrated amplifier

macrojack

• Restricted
I just stumbled across this piece on the Rowland website. On paper it looks like the ultimate statement piece out there. Does anyone here have any knowledge or experience to share?
At a projected $38,000 it needs to be awfully special but, then again, it does include or preclude a lot of pieces so it may be worth it to some of us. I'm mighty tempted but that's a big lift for a guy like me.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Jeff Rowland Design Group === Daemon integrated amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2015, 03:02 pm »
I just stumbled across this piece on the Rowland website. On paper it looks like the ultimate statement piece out there. Does anyone here have any knowledge or experience to share?
At a projected $38,000 it needs to be awfully special but, then again, it does include or preclude a lot of pieces so it may be worth it to some of us. I'm mighty tempted but that's a big lift for a guy like me.
Silly price, this is a house or apto value.
Dont walk, run from this brand.

ACHiPo

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2015, 03:23 pm »
Silly price, this is a house or apto value.
Dont walk, run from this brand.
No experience with the Daemon, but having purchased used Consummate phono and pre, I can vouch for Rowland's design capability.  I would choke on the original $10k price for the Consummate (especially 15 years ago when it was released), but they are amazing components and a screaming deal for what I paid for them used.  Plus the phono stage had an issue a few months after I bought it, and Jeff repaired it for me for a very reasonable price ($150) and in a relatively short time (4 weeks)--not bad for a 15 year old piece of gear.

So I absolutely don't agree with FullRangeMan based on my experience with Rowland, but I won't be dropping $35k on an integrated amp, either.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2015, 03:35 pm »
Jeff's stuff is good.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2015, 03:52 pm »
Of course JR amps are outstanding, the best SS amp I listen was a Model 1.
But the price are much bigger than the amps worth, mainly with affordable SET tubes amps rousing everyday on the market.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2015, 03:54 pm »
Now, I have to agree with this.
OTOH, I think there is other people who prefer SS over tubes so...:)
Of course JR amps are outstanding, the best SS amps I listen was a Model 1.
But the price are much bigger than the amps worth, mainly with affordable SET tubes amps rousing everyday on the market.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2015, 04:13 pm »
Now, I have to agree with this.
OTOH, I think there is other people who prefer SS over tubes so...:)
Not me. I would say JR amps are for millionaires audiophiles that love transistors.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2015, 05:34 pm »
The existence of cheaper alternatives does not automatically make well designed and constructed products overpriced.

Rowland uses extreme high quality materials in intelligent ways. For instance, his chassis are sealed off from the outside completely. The entire chassis serves as a heat sink. This means there are no perforations in the case. A 20 year old Rowland piece looks new inside. There is no dust and no discoloration. And the sealed aluminum case helps to isolate the componentry from RFI/EMI. These amps are the quietest and among the most reliable. Resale tends to hold better than most other gear.

As Nelson Pass once said, "the used market speaks eloquently".

Those who prefer fire bottles certainly are entitled to that diversion and will get no criticism from me. However, a close look at the title and subject matter of this thread should indicate to them that they have chosen the wrong exit. All I'm seeking is informed commentary of one specific Rowland piece. I'm interested in the JRDG Daemon integrated amplifier. What do you know about it? Have you seen or heard one?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2015, 06:05 pm »
Here's a link:     http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/us/daemon-integrated.html

A friend of mine was at the Munich show. He says that there were quite a number of elite integrated amps shown but that the Daemon was clearly the show stopper. He's got more than a million dollars worth of equipment in his sound room and deals only in world class product. I've been close friends with him for over 20 years now and trust his opinions. I just thought I'd check in with you guys to see if you could offer me any additional insight. Sooooo ----- how 'bout it?

geowak

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2015, 06:29 pm »
I have no problem with the price anyone pays for audio (or any product) nor do I have any issues with selling a product for any price. It should be noted, that some companies will deceive consumers, and some consumers do not just buy products based upon " good value for the dollar". Some buy for the prestige or other factors.

Cigarettes marketed to children....different story and I have a problem with that.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2015, 06:45 pm »
We have had Jeff's Aeris DAC in past shows and we liked it.

On the other hand, we used our media player (plays both digital and cds) and we came to the conclusion, for the money, we'd rather have our player.
And then again, our finding may or may not be the common discovery. :)

Here's a link:     http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/us/daemon-integrated.html

A friend of mine was at the Munich show. He says that there were quite a number of elite integrated amps shown but that the Daemon was clearly the show stopper. He's got more than a million dollars worth of equipment in his sound room and deals only in world class product. I've been close friends with him for over 20 years now and trust his opinions. I just thought I'd check in with you guys to see if you could offer me any additional insight. Sooooo ----- how 'bout it?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2015, 07:34 pm »
Hugh - I can definitely follow your thinking about "for the money" in the case of a DAC. Those things depreciate like computers and at nearly $10,000 no DAC is good enough to work in my program. An integrated amp, on the other hand, can outlive the significance of depreciation because a good one is potentially good enough for life, especially when you are over 65.

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2015, 07:47 pm »
macrojack,

Although the Daemon was introduced at Munich, I am not sure it is in production yet or at least not widely available. So you might have to wait for feedback. Was it in service at Munich or just a static display?

For Newport the JRDG profile lists the following"

"Model 925 mono block amplifiers
 Aeris DAC
 Corus Preamplifier"

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2015, 09:01 pm »
I decided to call the Rowland factory. Talked to Kelly as usual. She informed me that the final price has not been set and that the Daemon will probably not ship before late summer. Trying to be on top of things got me way out in front.

My Continuum S2 ships out next week so it looks like I'll be using my Yamaha A-S2000 for a while. Of well, worse things have happened to better people.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2015, 09:24 pm »
Agreed 100%. :)
Hugh - I can definitely follow your thinking about "for the money" in the case of a DAC. Those things depreciate like computers and at nearly $10,000 no DAC is good enough to work in my program. An integrated amp, on the other hand, can outlive the significance of depreciation because a good one is potentially good enough for life, especially when you are over 65.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2015, 09:25 pm »
Congrats.
I decided to call the Rowland factory. Talked to Kelly as usual. She informed me that the final price has not been set and that the Daemon will probably not ship before late summer. Trying to be on top of things got me way out in front.

My Continuum S2 ships out next week so it looks like I'll be using my Yamaha A-S2000 for a while. Of well, worse things have happened to better people.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2015, 10:03 pm »
How can you go wrong with an amp that defines... creative genius; driving force; messenger between the gods and man; trouble-maker?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2015, 10:35 pm »
How can you go wrong with an amp that defines... creative genius; driving force; messenger between the gods and man; trouble-maker?
Yeah - I ignored that pap. No matter what they call it or how the name is defined, this appears to be the first of a kind. It has all the power you need for any speaker and it will rival any combination of amp, preamp and DAC you can assemble. Then consider the cost of cables one would need to achieve that performance level, and the pricing begins to seem reasonable. It isn't, of course, but for anyone crazy enough to buy audio at that performance level, the numbers probably line up favorably.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2015, 11:02 pm »
Problem is, no one wants a one box solution.  What happens when you want to upgrade some part of it down the road?  Unless they are doing it completely modularly like the LIO from Vinnie Rossi, then it's gonna be a losing platform, eventually.  It's a $35k lifestyle product - hahaha.

*Scotty*

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2015, 11:10 pm »
It will have to outperform the Devialet amplifier, most versions of which cost less. They're both life style pieces.
Scotty