The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Captainhemo

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #520 on: 16 Oct 2018, 08:17 pm »
Mike
they'll be   15.5"  wide  once the wings  are in place,  they won't be  nearlly  as deep as your   H-frames... I'll look up the  actual wing depth at the bottom  in  a bit for you.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #521 on: 16 Oct 2018, 08:33 pm »
Thanks

Captainhemo

« Reply #522 on: 16 Oct 2018, 11:42 pm »
 right around  7.5"  deep Mike

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #523 on: 17 Oct 2018, 12:54 am »
right around  7.5"  deep Mike

jay

Really, that's it? The wings are that shallow?  Wow, is that going to be stable as a monitor once the drivers are installed?

Thanks,

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #524 on: 17 Oct 2018, 04:25 am »
Could put them on  a  larger base if  people  want  that but then  we are  adding  height.

Nothing  is  set in stone  with this monitor version yet

jay

orientalexpress

« Reply #525 on: 17 Oct 2018, 12:08 pm »
Hi Jay
can you paint them also?

Captainhemo

« Reply #526 on: 17 Oct 2018, 12:16 pm »
Hi Jay
can you paint them also?

As in   sending you  a finished  cabinet ?   Yes, we can do that  and we have a  couple  different  levels of finishers we use, costs  vary.

jay

orientalexpress

« Reply #527 on: 17 Oct 2018, 12:39 pm »
Sweet,i saw what you do with Rich cabinet.let me know when you ready.
where you order jupiter cap from?and what value of the cap you guy replacing with?

thanks

« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2018, 03:52 pm by orientalexpress »

Captainhemo

« Reply #528 on: 18 Oct 2018, 12:44 am »
You bet  Lap

Jeff over  at  SonicCraft  carries them  as  does  PartsConnexion

jay
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2018, 02:17 am by Captainhemo »

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #529 on: 18 Oct 2018, 04:28 am »
15.5" wide is perfect for my subs.  7.5" is pretty shallow.  I would definitely be afraid of bumping into them.  Maybe you could extend the bottom inch or so of the wings and add a small bridge in between.  Basically something to help anchor the top section to the subs.

And hopefully it doesn't mess up the sound. :scratch:

SteveKi

« Reply #530 on: 18 Oct 2018, 11:09 am »
You can just drill a couple of holes and bolt them to the subs. Or screw them down.
Steve

SoCalWJS

« Reply #531 on: 19 Nov 2018, 04:53 pm »
Had a mini GTG at my place over the weekend. Cheeseboy and Soundofrockets (Steve and Sunil) came by for a couple of days to give the Super 7's a listen. And they brought toys!
They arrived Saturday afternoon and after meeting for lunch in Avila Beach, we headed to my place and started playing. Unfortunately, it was less than ideal at the beginning as they are apparently at a critical phase in the construction across the street as they were working on Saturday. This (and more) is about 300 feet from my house:

Fortunately, they stopped at about 5 PM and we could actually hear the system pretty well instead of fighting over the Excavators, Backhoes, and tractors. We listened to a couple of pieces to get a baseline established, but we were all anxious to try these out, so they got swapped in pretty quickly - forgive the lousy logistics - cable length issues.

If you look closely in the background are Sunil's Kismet Odyssey Amp's. The power cables are some that Steve brought that are from VooDoo Cable.

Wow. What a difference!

Nothing but praise for these things. Even Anne said they were clearly superior. I will be facing some tough decisions on what direction to go. Wish I could just magically swap a bunch of good amps in and out of my system and see if there is something even better (in the right price range  :green:), but I think it might be hard to beat these. No contest - Knockout winner!
We also tried Sunils ModWright Oppo 105 w/Bybees vs my ModWright 205. Also an easy winner, but something really weird as the output levels were completely different.  :scratch: :dunno: Does the Rectifier Tube in the ModWright Power Supply make that much difference?

Ah well, time to start saving pennies again.

Thanks Soundofrockets and Cheeseboy! Good to see you guys again. Hope the Super 7's were what you were expecting. That's a tough drive to make just to come listen for a few hours. Great lunch and dinner though, which didn't hurt things at all, and there was some good wine consumed.

See you guys next time!

soundofrockets

« Reply #532 on: 19 Nov 2018, 10:13 pm »
Thanks for hosting us - John and Ann.

And accommodating our idiosyncrasies

I would agree with your assessments of the amp and 105/205 comparisons.  I thought about it a lot on our way back home -  Steve also agreed that something was simply not right with the 105 -  was the difference due to different rectifier tube and newer power box with perhaps better umbilical cord??

I have some more thinking to do regarding which direction to go from here - upgrade LS9s or Super7 or maybe Super 10!!!!!

Oscillate

« Reply #533 on: 20 Nov 2018, 03:13 am »
"or maybe Super 10!!!!!"

Wait a second! ...did I miss something!?
What are 'Super 10'?  :scratch:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #534 on: 20 Nov 2018, 03:57 am »
"or maybe Super 10!!!!!"

Wait a second! ...did I miss something!?
What are 'Super 10'?  :scratch:
He lusts after more Bass. Instead of 5 Neo’s and 2 OB (“Super 7”), why not 3, 4, or more 12” OB per side.

:guitar: :rock: :bounce:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #535 on: 20 Nov 2018, 04:03 am »
He lusts after more Bass. Instead of 5 Neo’s and 2 OB (“Super 7”), why not 3, 4, or more 12” OB per side.

:guitar: :rock: :bounce:

Hell yeah!!  Hahaha.  :thumb:

SteveKi

« Reply #536 on: 20 Nov 2018, 03:00 pm »
After doing some room and sub modeling, decided on a new location for the servo sub towers in my listening room. 

Avoosl came over for the sub tower movement and driver rewire to test them with all the sub drivers facing forward.   Updated the time delay between the subs and lines to work with the new sub positioning.  Audibly much improved over the original response in the low end from the original positions.

Will be making new room response measurements to see what needs adjustment. 

Hal has a six pack of 12" H-Frame OB's. Anybody want to go for 8.   :P
Steve

From the "The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers" thread.

OzarkTom

« Reply #537 on: 20 Nov 2018, 03:48 pm »
A friend of mine once mounted a bunch of large woofers into the wall. His whole house would shake, his Dad was not a lover of that.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #538 on: 20 Nov 2018, 06:49 pm »
A friend of mine once mounted a bunch of large woofers into the wall. His whole house would shake, his Dad was not a lover of that.

I had a friend that mounted 12 subwoofers in the floor, which used his whole basement as the "enclosure" for the subs - it's called an Infinite Baffle sub.  IMO a stack of OB servo subs sounds faaaarrrrr better. 

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #539 on: 2 Dec 2018, 10:09 pm »
JIC anyone might be interested, my Super-7s...
 https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=141060.180
...are surplus and will be for sale, but they're not quite available right now, as one bass amp hums.  Jeff Glowacki said that's easily fixable--his, too, hummed--so I'll be sending both amps back the week of Dec. 05.
After the hum from the bass amp grated on me long enough, I found an affordable pair of Quad 2905s, having had and loved their predecessors, the ESL989.  I also bought PS Audio BHK300 monoamps, and I'm thrilled with the system's transparency and overall sounds.  I have no shipping coffins so can't ship them, but I will transport them some distance.  Virtually all crossover parts have been replaced, and excellent AQ speakercable is captive.

(Pls pardon the dust; they've been standing around for most of a year.)

If you're at all interested at $8K plus shipping or simply want more pics, e-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net.