« Reply #60 on: 21 Jul 2018, 09:52 pm »
 :thumb: +1  :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Interesting exchange
« Reply #61 on: 21 Jul 2018, 10:10 pm »
just crank up the tunes baby! got Lucinda Williams' "Can't Let Go" playing really loud. through my all Bryston system. using my personal choice of interconnect cables, power cords, fancy speaker cable - and the music sounds amazing!! bring it on Bryston.  love it.  so...quit all 'yer bitchin and enjoy the music folks! life is too short for squabbling on the internet about smack.  :thumb: crank up Lucinda and let 'er rip!

Tj

LW definitely a fine vocalist. Played the album Vanished Gardens, her and Charles Lloyd quartet. Excellent musik.
 :thumb:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #62 on: 22 Jul 2018, 12:09 am »
LW definitely a fine vocalist. Played the album Vanished Gardens, her and Charles Lloyd quartet. Excellent musik.
 :thumb:

I just saw her at an outdoor concert for the first time and I was very impressed. She played that song and several other hits. It was a really fun show.

She opened for Robert Plant and as usual he was amazing with his excellent band members.

Greg

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #63 on: 22 Jul 2018, 02:18 pm »
I just saw her at an outdoor concert for the first time and I was very impressed. She played that song and several other hits. It was a really fun show.

She opened for Robert Plant and as usual he was amazing with his excellent band members.

Greg

That the Redmond concert?

R. Daneel

« Reply #64 on: 22 Jul 2018, 05:32 pm »
Who cares? You guys have your faith in what you were programmed to believe. And the folks who can hear differences in wire FROM ACTUALLY TRYING THEM (which is what scientist do)

Elizabeth, I find your remark quite offensive.

First, engineering is not about being "programmed" to know formulas by heart, it is about developing a way of thinking that can be applied to problems engineers encounter in everyday practice. There is a serious distinction between the two.

Second, scientists don't prove theories that stand on scientifically impossible ground. There would be nothing to prove in this manner.

In my previous post I have clearly stated this: Well-shielded conductors of adequate cross-section surface area will be indistinguishable from one another.

You say you can hear a difference. Fine. Is that difference measurable? If it is, then it is indeed exists. If it is not, you are deluding yourself.

You are all over the place with your comments. Clearly, neither engineering nor physics are your strong sides so don't support your arguments by mentioning them.

Cheers,
Antun

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #65 on: 22 Jul 2018, 05:54 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who cares if you find my remarks offensive. I find your's equally offensive.  :roll:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #66 on: 22 Jul 2018, 06:47 pm »
...Second, scientists don't prove theories that stand on scientifically impossible ground. There would be nothing to prove in this manner.
But what is defined as "impossible ground" changes.  The earth does revolve around the sun

You say you can hear a difference. Fine. Is that difference measurable? Is not the ear a measuring device? If it is, then it is indeed exists. If it is not, you are deluding yourself.
Wow.  So if you can't see it on your test gear, it doesn't exist.  And moths can't smell other moths miles away because we can't measure the ppb of their pheromones in the air.  ...

Cheers,
Antun
The arrogance of the narrowly trained mind. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #67 on: 22 Jul 2018, 06:50 pm »
That the Redmond concert?

Yes, it was at Marymoore Park. We went ahead and paid to be in the Pine area, it puts you in an area to the side of center stage but you are fairly close.

Lancelot

« Reply #68 on: 22 Jul 2018, 06:53 pm »
 Here is my problem with the *all well designed cables sound the same * argument, especially on a Bryston forum. I assume most, if not nearly all participants here own or have owned, as I have , Bryston components. Most are probably quite impressed with Bryston engineering and a scientific approach to sound reproduction. In other words Bryston carefully measures their products to improve their products.

The problem is that many of the measurerments, like  distortion etc. are far in excess of what anyone has be able to demonstrate listeners are actually able to hear.  Therefore significantly cheaper products with less sophisticated engineering will likely sound as good as Bryston products but without the 20 yr warranty.

So when you pay the extra money for Bryston products, ( assuming the engineering and measurements are important to you, ) you are in your own way buying fancy and expensive cables because you are paying for something that can be duplicated at a lower
cost and sound as good.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #69 on: 22 Jul 2018, 07:05 pm »
I have to say the shady types who measurably jack the volume 2-2.5db during cable demos, like at this AudioCon event, have the easiest job.
Since audiophiles can't even discuss the actual topic of thread - underhandedness caught outright, while waving their hands frantically about everything but that. Easy scores.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #70 on: 22 Jul 2018, 07:10 pm »
http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6236

I frankly do not care whether you discovered *** or ^^^ were using black magic or a hidden flux capacitor, you are way out of line Doctor!
Neither do the ravenous scores.

brucek

« Reply #71 on: 22 Jul 2018, 07:32 pm »
The problem is that many of the measurerments, like  distortion etc. are far in excess of what anyone has be able to demonstrate listeners are actually able to hear.  Therefore significantly cheaper products with less sophisticated engineering will likely sound as good as Bryston products but without the 20 yr warranty.

That's correct. Most modern equipment can offer the same specifications, but with Bryston you'll get a better warranty, higher quality and tested components, better printed circuit boards with better assembly and construction along with better metal cases. Audio components are linear systems that ideally don't change the spectral characteristics of the signal that passes through them. This ability is measured by the specification THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise). It is basically a mark of quality with regard how the component will affect the signal passing through it. Components with identical THD+N connected to the same sources and speakers will sound the same.

brucek

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #72 on: 22 Jul 2018, 07:42 pm »
Components with identical THD+N connected to the same sources and speakers will sound the same.
To avoid such a dreadful and unwanted scenario, just jack the volume a bit between the two. 2-2.5db is fine. Don't worry about consequences, there won't be any with a certain crowd. They'd cheer you and attack any of those dumb EE types who snuck into the room with their deviant tools-of-the-devil smartphones.
Welcome to 2018.  :wink:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #73 on: 22 Jul 2018, 09:42 pm »
Antun:

There's a lot of phenomena that we can't yet measure reliably (or at all). That doesn't mean that these don't exist or are "delusional".

There's a lot of things that we don't know that we know; there's also a lot of things that we know we don't know.

cheers

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #74 on: 22 Jul 2018, 09:59 pm »
There's a lot of phenomena that we can't yet measure reliably
Sound pressure isn't one of them.
Now deceptiveness, slyness, underhanded, susceptibility, etc, etc. sure. Not reliably measurable. But none of those are electro-acoustic measurements.
A lot of folks get those confused.

R. Daneel

« Reply #75 on: 26 Jul 2018, 07:00 am »
Sound pressure isn't one of them.
Now deceptiveness, slyness, underhanded, susceptibility, etc, etc. sure. Not reliably measurable. But none of those are electro-acoustic measurements.
A lot of folks get those confused.

... and that's exactly what this duscussion should have been about.

brucek

« Reply #76 on: 26 Jul 2018, 11:30 am »
Quote from: CanadianMaestro
Just don't couch them as proof that the "EE's and their type" are incompetent or deluded.

There's a certain irony in all this. The very engineers that designed and built the audio equipment are being vilified as not understanding it according to many golden eared audiophiles.

Quote from: CanadianMaestro
There's a lot of phenomena that we can't yet measure reliably (or at all). That doesn't mean that these don't exist or are "delusional".

In this spectrum, there are no mysteries left to be discovered I'm afraid. The audio bandwidth is well understood and easily measurable.

brucek

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #77 on: 26 Jul 2018, 01:08 pm »
The very engineers that designed and built the audio equipment are being vilified as not understanding it according to many golden eared audiophiles.
Even funnier is that these stereophiles who think measuring stereophony, including imaging/soundstage, etc. is a deep dark magical mystery, are clueless to who/what Alan Blumlein was. You can't make this stuff up.
Anyway, this thread was actually about a particular demo, by a particular person/group, not that that triviality matters I suppose.

cheers,

AJ

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #78 on: 26 Jul 2018, 02:24 pm »

That's correct. Most modern equipment can offer the same specifications, but with Bryston you'll get a better warranty, higher quality and tested components, better printed circuit boards with better assembly and construction along with better metal cases. Audio components are linear systems that ideally don't change the spectral characteristics of the signal that passes through them. This ability is measured by the specification THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise). It is basically a mark of quality with regard how the component will affect the signal passing through it. Components with identical THD+N connected to the same sources and speakers will sound the same.

brucek

Surely you can't mean that.  I don't think Bryston would be happy with having their amplifiers sound quality being equated with a mass market receiver with the same distortion specs.  That would be saying the $4k 2.5B 3 cubed amplifier sounds exactly the same as my $100 used Pioneer receiver because the distortion figures are the same.  As far as reliability is concerned I can buy 40 Pioneers to replace any broken ones with the same money, I'd be coming out way ahead financially with the receiver and Bryston would be out of business.  In fact it would be Bryston who would be considered the snake oil salesmen charging $4k for what you could get for $100.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #79 on: 26 Jul 2018, 02:35 pm »
In fact it would be Bryston who would be considered the snake oil salesmen charging $4k for what you could get for $100.

Hmmmm.....
 :popcorn: