Has Anyone Moved On From M3 Turbo S?

James Edward

Has Anyone Moved On From M3 Turbo S?
« on: 5 Dec 2020, 04:55 pm »
I’m contemplating a move up or away, and am curious whether anyone has done so (I’m sure you’re out there...). I’ve had mine for three years and getting the itch. I’d certainly enjoy a change of scenery; mine are the black ones, and since then woods have been introduced to the palette by Spatial.
Any thoughts appreciated- I’d also like to hear from anyone that may have gone ‘back to the box’, and if you don’t want to post about that here, or if it’s considered rude to do so, please PM me.
Thanks

morganc

Re: Has Anyone Moved On From M3 Turbo S?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2020, 07:26 pm »
I went from the M3TM to the Tekton Electron SE. However, During the 4 Week, no 8 week, no 12 week build time ( with poor communication) of the Tektons,  a pair of Spatial X-5's landed used for sale down the road and I wisely snatched them up, cancelled the Tekton Order and never looked back.  Check out the New Record Day review of the Spatial and GR Research Line up.  Great reviews and comparison, and IMO the two best speaker line ups on the market. And though I have the X-5's, I believe that any of the current Line up would be a major upgrade for you.  I did not really care for the M3TM, but love the new speakers. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2020, 07:41 pm »
If you think it's bad form to solicit Spatial criticism in the owner's circle (I'd guess most think it is) then just post the question in the Open Baffle Speakers Circle.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=90.0

Folks here will be hesitant to post negatives so you have a better shot at honesty over there.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2020, 10:34 pm »
I went from M3 S Turbo to M3TM because the low impedance of the M3 S was causing my amp to overheat.  To my ears the M3 TM was about the same sound as the S Turbo.  Then I went to the X5  WHOA!!!  Big improvement.

ric

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2020, 02:36 pm »
For myself, owning the M3TS had me realizing it wasn't as detailed as my Dunlavy's, but excelled everywhere else. Once I replaced a few crossover parts (the cheapest part of the speakers IMO) with some Jupiter caps and Path Audio resistor, I was/am so impressed with the sound. Over time I have tweaked and upgraded and am so impressed with the sound.
Recently on YouTube, I have looked at the Buchardt Audio (s400) speakers that use...controlled directivity! but are a box speaker. Their powered versions use wireless technology with DSP controlled bass with hub and remote--all in one package that seems to be the next iteration of streaming audiophilia. They also have passive speakers and they go down into the 20's! Interesting stuff, but I'm keeping what I got.
https://www.buchardtaudio.com/s400-detailed-description

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/a500-detailed-description

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2020, 04:00 pm »
I went from M3 S Turbo to M3TM because the low impedance of the M3 S was causing my amp to overheat.  To my ears the M3 TM was about the same sound as the S Turbo.  Then I went to the X5  WHOA!!!  Big improvement.

Both me and a friend owned the first generation M1 and M2 Turbo's. Our conclusion was similar in that they seemed to present an unfriendly load for tube amplifiers. ( at least in our case) We both went back to tube friendly "boxes" and have stayed there ever since.  With that said, the new generation of Spatials seem to be a different animal in this regard. Maybe someday it will be time to revisit.