What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #13160 on: 29 Oct 2015, 03:44 pm »

Medeski, Martin, & Wood:      Note Bleu, Best of the Blue Note Years 1998-2005     '06

A nice Basie-Peterson collaboration.

Count Basie and Oscar Peterson - Satch and Josh

Personnel: Count Basie (piano, organ); Oscar Peterson (piano); Freddie Green (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Louis Bellson (drums).

Recorded at MGM Recording Studio, Los Angeles, California on December 2, 1974.

Heck of a 1 -2 punch there SC, as well as some follow-up blows.  :thumb:

Asimov

« Reply #13161 on: 29 Oct 2015, 04:17 pm »

Portico Quartet - Black & White Sessions

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #13162 on: 29 Oct 2015, 11:05 pm »
A fine Dave Brubeck set.  Bfeore there was Time Out, there was Brubeck Time. 

Dave Brubeck - Brubeck Time

Dave Brubeck Quartet: Dave Brubeck (piano); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Bob Bates (bass); Joe Dodge (drums).

Tracks 1, 2, 7 recorded on October 12, 1954; tracks 5, 8 recorded on October 13; tracks 3, 4 recorded on October 14; track 6 recorded on November 10, 1954.  Digitally remastered using 20-bit technology by Mark Wilder, Sony Music Studios, New York, New York

Starchild

« Reply #13163 on: 29 Oct 2015, 11:12 pm »

Medeski, Martin, & Wood:      Note Bleu, Best of the Blue Note Years 1998-2005     '06

Heck of a 1 -2 punch there SC, as well as some follow-up blows.  :thumb:

Thank you sir.  What I really get a kick out of, and I'm sure Asimov would agree, this circle motivates me  to go deep into the vault to avoid duplicate plays.  As a result I'm rediscovering my collection and playing music that I forgot that I had.  I'm having a ball.

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #13164 on: 29 Oct 2015, 11:24 pm »
John Scofield  ~  What We Do

with Joe Lovano, Dennis Irwin and Bill Stewart

Blue Note

md92468

« Reply #13165 on: 30 Oct 2015, 12:27 am »
A vastly underappreciated modern set from a quartet of Canucks. Hard to find but a gem if you can track it down. Features Renee Rosnes (p), Campbell Ryga (a/s sax), Neil Swainson (b) and Rudy Petschauer (d).

Starchild

« Reply #13166 on: 30 Oct 2015, 01:38 am »
A nice one from Ray Brown.

Ray Brown - Black Orpheus

Ray Brown Trio: Ray Brown (bass); Gene Harris (piano); Jeff Hamilton (drums).

Recorded live at Good Day Club, Tokyo, Japan on May 23, 1989 and February 7, 1991.

ACHiPo

« Reply #13167 on: 30 Oct 2015, 02:20 am »
Sonny Rollins
Cool Struttin'

Starchild

« Reply #13168 on: 30 Oct 2015, 04:20 am »
A nice one from Ron Carter.

Ron Carter - When Skies Are Grey

Personnel: Ron Carter (bass); Stephen Scott (piano); Harvey Mason (drums); Steve Kroon (percussion).

Recorded at Clinton Studios, New York, New York on May 1, 2000.

Asimov

« Reply #13169 on: 30 Oct 2015, 05:06 am »
This LOVE this album!  My favorite cut is "Nomad" but "Idle Moments" is a classic.  Quoted below is a bit of this album's history as quoted from Wikapedia:   

"The album is best known for the title piece, a slow composition in C minor which lasts for nearly 15 minutes. Pearson, who wrote the song, explains in his liner notes to the album that the tune was meant to be much shorter. Due to the musicians repeating the main melody twice, however, there was some confusion as to whether or not one chorus would consist of 16 or 32 measures.[3] Producer Alfred Lion was satisfied with the take, although he suggested that they do a retake to fit the song into a seven minute limit. However, the song had a special feeling to it which no subsequent take could recapture, so it was decided to release the first take on the album. Two other songs, "Jean De Fleur" and "Django," were re-recorded in shorter renditions to compensate for the length of the title track; the extended renditions of both songs can be heard on the CD re-issues of the album."

Interesting story, thanks for sharing.
Now listening:

Grant Green - Idle Moments

Starchild

« Reply #13170 on: 30 Oct 2015, 10:12 am »
A nice live set from Art Pepper.

Art Pepper - Landscape

Personnel: Art Pepper (alto saxophone, clarinet); George Cables (piano); Tony Dumas (bass); Billy Higgins (drums).

Recorded at Shiba Yubin Chokin Hall, Tokyo, Japan on July 16 & 23, 1979.

Starchild

« Reply #13171 on: 30 Oct 2015, 11:03 am »
A nice live set from James Moody.

James Moody - At the Jazz Workshop

Personnel: James Moody (alto & tenor saxophones, flute); Eddie Jefferson (vocals); Musa Kaleem (baritone saxophone); Howard McGhee (trumpet); Bernard McKinney (trombone); Sonny Donaldson (piano); Steve Davis (bass); Arnold "Buddy" Enlow (drums).

Recording information: Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, CA (06/1961).

ACHiPo

« Reply #13172 on: 30 Oct 2015, 12:27 pm »
John Lewis
Kansas City Breaks

Really like the eclectic groove on this.  A very interesting combination of instruments and styles including gypsy violin and flute.

Review and Samples

md92468

« Reply #13173 on: 30 Oct 2015, 07:10 pm »
A little of the other organ-playing Jimmy today..."Heavy Weight" alone is worth the price of admission on this one...

From the All Music Review (Thom Jurek):

"This is the first true, all-out funky burner from McGriff, and it sounds very different from most of the other titles on his shelf. Having a band like this helps: trumpeter Blue Mitchell, tenor saxophonist Fats Theus (with Bob Ashton on baritone and Danny Turner on alto), alternating drummers Mel Lewis and Grady Tate, bassist Bob Bushnell, and guitarist Thornel Schwartz were all in their prime in 1968."

ACHiPo

« Reply #13174 on: 30 Oct 2015, 07:20 pm »
A little of the other organ-playing Jimmy today..."Heavy Weight" alone is worth the price of admission on this one...

From the All Music Review (Thom Jurek):

"This is the first true, all-out funky burner from McGriff, and it sounds very different from most of the other titles on his shelf. Having a band like this helps: trumpeter Blue Mitchell, tenor saxophonist Fats Theus (with Bob Ashton on baritone and Danny Turner on alto), alternating drummers Mel Lewis and Grady Tate, bassist Bob Bushnell, and guitarist Thornel Schwartz were all in their prime in 1968."
MD,
Looks like a good record.  Thanks for posting the review!
AC

md92468

« Reply #13175 on: 30 Oct 2015, 08:21 pm »
My pleasure, AC. Taking it down a notch with some Dusko...

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #13176 on: 30 Oct 2015, 08:49 pm »

Adam Niewood ~ Homage   

with.....
John Scofield
John Patitucci
Jack DeJohnette

Adam Neiwood is a local talent that Cathy and I went to see this Wednesday evening at Newberry's Yard Of Ale.
A local watering hole here in Stroudsburg PA. I enjoyed the evening so much that today I picked up his latest
CD titled Homage.

streetshooter

« Reply #13177 on: 30 Oct 2015, 09:04 pm »
My latest is a new 45 rpm, limited edition and numbered pressing of Kinda Blue from Original Master Recordings.
I must have gone through 3 or 4 pressings of this music over the years.
The lineup amazes me: Miles, Canonball Adderly, Coltrane, Bill Evans, Jimmy Cobb, Paul Chambers Wynton Kelly (piano on one track, Evans on the rest)
This is one album I wanted the best pressing available and I am very happy. 
Original Master Recordings have produced some of my favorite LP recordings like Vince Guaraldi Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus. 
Also just got 180 gram pressing of Chet (Riverside recording).  Bill Evans on this one too with Herby Mann on flute, Pepper Adams on baritone sax, Paul Chambers bass, Philly Joe Jones and Connie Kay drums, Kenny Burrell guitar.  (Alone Together, How High the Moon, It Never Entered my Mind, If you could see me now, September Song, You'd be so nice to come home to.  Great versions from the American songbook.  I love standards from the American songbook.

Three new LPs by Bill Evans.  I'm partial to pianists (Keith Jarrett, Bill Evans, Guaraldi, Beethoven, Diana Krall)
All Bill Evans from the 60's and on Riverside: Sunday at the Village Vanguard,  Waltz for Debbie both live, and Portraits in Jazz.

Recorded on Kinda Blue (Miles)is a Bill Evans composition.  Such beautiful piano.  Minimalist.  He does it with as few notes as possible.
Classical paintings paint every stick, every leaf, every mountain with intricate detail, texture and color.
The impressionist does the same scene with 13 strokes.  It is Matisse versus Botticelli.
Jazz is musical impressionism. 

Bill Evans, a master at it, blows me away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU70hNzHZRY 
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2015, 11:27 pm by streetshooter »

Starchild

« Reply #13178 on: 30 Oct 2015, 09:52 pm »
A nice one from Frank Morgan.

Frank Morgan - City Nights: Live at the Jazz Standard

Personnel: Frank Morgan (alto saxophone); Frank Morgan All-Stars (alto saxophone); Curtis Lundy (bass instrument); George Cables (piano); Billy Hart (drums).

Recording information: The Jazz Standard, New York, NY (11/28/2003-11/30/2003).

JazzTimes (p.92) - "[T]he informality of the session, with its resulting in-the-moment freshness, was a good thing."

streetshooter

« Reply #13179 on: 30 Oct 2015, 10:06 pm »
For an alternative to Miles try

Chet Baker - this cut from album "Chet", newly released a 180 gram pressing from Riverside, late 50's.

Bill Evans piano,
Herbie Mann Flute,
Pepper Adams baritone sax,
Kenny Burrell guitar,
Paul Chambers bass,
Philly Joe Jones drums.

Alone Together first recorded by Artie Shaw, from 1932

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SENykNkARzI
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2015, 11:33 pm by streetshooter »