VMPS Super Tower IIa/r

Dance

VMPS Super Tower IIa/r
« on: 10 Jul 2019, 10:21 am »
Hello everyone. Just picked up at estate auction ST2a/r.  Been looking for them years.  I want to refurbish them back to glory. I'm doing this to deal with PTSD.  I served 22yrs in the US Army. as a Infantryman my whole career.  I would like any help that I can get.

richidoo

Re: VMPS Super Tower IIa/r
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2019, 03:00 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Dance!

Thanks for your your service and your tremendous sacrifice. God bless you and your family.
Rich

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2019, 03:02 pm »
John Casler used to work directly with VMPS and has access to a lot of knowledge on your new speaker. I'd start there.

I would also like to thank you for your service. I hope this project provide you with many hours of distraction from your PTSD. For those that do not have that, it is impossible to explain. As a fellow sufferer, know that you are always in my thoughts when you find the need for additional strength.

Dance

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2019, 10:49 pm »

simon wagstaff

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2019, 01:22 am »
All I can say is wow!

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2019, 06:19 am »
Wow! Those are a larger version, so many speakers called Super Tower II's. Are there any passive radiators in those? {Look inside the slots, see what looks like another driver?}
Great find
Rick

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2019, 09:22 am »
Congratulations on your successful military career.
Do you wish original drivers or modern better ones?

Dance

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:22 pm »
Yes it does have 15" passive radiator

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2019, 06:45 pm »
The 15" passive radiator is hide slot loaded adjustable, the front firing 15'' is a regular magnet wof.

Stimpy

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2019, 11:45 pm »
Hi Dance!  Welcome.

I believe those have 2 15" passive radiators.  One fires up and one down.  Those are difficult to access for reforming.  You may be able to knock off or unscrew the base.  The top will have to be sawed, to open it up, to get to the radiator.  Many cut out a square piece in the very top, to allow the passive to the pulled.  Then use a piano hinge to reattach the panel.  That makes for an easy access door.

Also, there are 2 5.5" Polydax midrange drivers on eBay, that should work in your speakers, if needed?  Make for a back up pair, at least.

The dome tweeters could be Morel?  Parts Express sells replacement diaphragms, again if needed?  If the JVC ribbon tweeters play, they should be OK.

Next, the woofers.  They look a little dusty and dirty, most of which should brush off.  If mildewed, lay the woofers in the sun, then clean with a soft cloth.  Isopropyl alcohol may clean it too.

Also, two woofers look mismatched.  I'd compare part numbers, across both speakers, to see if they match?  If so, it's probably not a big deal if 2 don't have the phase plugs.  If not the same, if they sound fine, I'd leave them as is, as original replacements are rare.  But, AC member Pat Malaga may have them.  You could PM him and ask.  One other source could be Parts Express.  Brian C. was using Goldwood woofers from them.  The heavy duty versions.  They'd have 12" and 15" replacements.  Four or 8 Ohm, depending on what your's measure?

Now, internals.  You could probably leave the capacitors alone.  Brian typically used good parts.  But, if you do want to update the crossovers, I'd suggest using either Parts Connexion or Sonic Craft.  Both companies offer very good capacitor brands, like Mundorf and ClarityCap.  Plus, they off parts matching.  That way, you'd know the parts measure correctly, and they'd be matched together in pairs; for both speakers.  I do that on my recaps, and have used both companies for parts, without issue.

Finally, have fun, and take your time.  That's a great project to work on.  And most importantly, Thank You for your service!!!

Take care,

Stimpy

Stimpy

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2019, 11:53 pm »
Oh yea, AC member James Romeyn used to work at VMPS.  He could have assembled your very speakers?  Maybe pick his brain for restoration ideas.

revg1952

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2019, 12:29 am »
The Tweeters are Morel, MDT-29 upgraded versions are MDT-30. The ribbon  is a JVC. Brian was using woofers from MISCO. Whatever you use make sure they match each other. The ones in the picture do not. The 12 and 15 inch on that model when I was a dealer were 8 ohms each. and also Thank You for your service.
Gary

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2019, 12:51 am »
Certainly Eminence have an 15'' woofer that will fit well.

Dance

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2019, 01:23 pm »
Thanks for all info. I'll post pics of endeavour. Starting this weekend. So far both top 15s are rotted and 1 12 . Ill disassemble and check everything.

ZAKski288

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2019, 04:15 pm »
Hello Dance,  NICE speakers, here it a link to the original literature for your speakers. Good luck with the restoration. Zak

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ixvf72l261w5wwd/SoEbjCo1is

Dance

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2019, 02:42 am »
Thx for info.

ZAKski288

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2019, 04:14 am »
Hello Dance, I came across a picture of how someone cut access to the upper passive radiator. I think you need to screw the access panel down some how,  so it does not rattle around when playing.

this one is hinged from the rear

This one is hinged from the front

Parts List

Crossover Schematic diagram

Dance

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jul 2019, 01:24 am »
Thx that helps alot.