New (to me) tube preamp - YS Audio A2

mhconley

New (to me) tube preamp - YS Audio A2
« on: 13 Mar 2012, 03:45 pm »
I've been watching the used equipment venues for about the last 9 months for a used YS Audio A2 non-SE model and finally found one in 9/10 condition.  It is on its way to me as I type this.

I have a pair of DIY Bang & Olufsen 1000ASP ICEpower monoblocks and need something to control volume and make it so that I don't need to swap cables to switch between sources.  I wanted balanced since my phono pre and DAC both have balanced outs; I also wanted a remote.

I want to try various units in my system and thought used would be the best way to do so with minimal expense as I can buy and sell without taking the initial new equipment hit.

I've read great things about this preamp cannot wait to hear it in my system.  I do plan to modify it to bring it to the level of the SE version or even beyond.  Look for listening impressions after I get it in my system.

Any other recommendations?

Martin

sunnydaze

Re: New (to me) tube preamp - YS Audio A2
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2012, 06:33 pm »
I don't know that I'd be so quick to go SE.   With upgraded parts (caps and connectors), in theory it should be better.

But here's the poop, hands-on experience.....

I own the the regular A2.  Actually, it's an SE lite as the fella I bought it from did the cap upgrade, but not the connectors.  If you have read some of my past posts you will know I think it's excellent, and has actually bettered pricier and better known stuff in direct comparos.

I have a local buddy who owns the A2 SE.  He bought it because he was so impressed with mine.  He has compared both in his system and swears that he prefers mine!  We swapped pres 3 weeks ago.  I can't say 100% for sure which I prefer because I have also been changing other variables.  But I can say that overall, I don't seem to be enjoying things as much.  After long term listening, I should know much better once I pop mine back in.

I would recommend this.....
Do the cap upgrade yourself, or have a local tech do it.  the caps are very accessible and EZ to do.  Should be fast and cheap.  I don't know that I would use what the designer does.  They are cheapish low level Sonicaps.  I plan to change mine to  AuriCap or Audiocap Theta.  Both are reasonably priced.  I would not touch the connectors, as they seem to be excellent quality already, and the buck bang seems dubious to me.  Just my instinct.

Good Luck.  For the money and beyond the YS has excellent SQ and a very nice feature set.

John

gkinberg

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2012, 11:42 pm »
Nicely done Martin,

You beat me to it. I've been keeping my eye out for a used YS A2 but never even saw it. I look forward to hearing your impresions. In addition, I'd like to know where you found it (what site) and how much you bought it for? I hope you don't mind me asking and feel free to PM me if you'd rather let me know that way.

Thanks, Garth

mhconley

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2012, 03:10 am »
I received the preamp on Thursday and stock it sounds very nice.  I only had a chance to listen to my Adele 21 LP, Audiophile Voices I and Abigail Washburn & the Sparrow Quartet FLAC via my Touch RCA outs.  I need to do some more critical listening to see what it brings to the table but so far I really like it.  It seems to give more air and warmth to the recordings.

I just ordered a set of four Robert Hovland Series SuperCaps (2.2μF/200V) to do the output cap upgrade.  The only other mod, for now, will be using one of my Pangea Audio AC-14SE power cables.  I may try different tubes later.  Any suggestions?

I found it on A'gon (I hated doing it but could not pass it up.)  I paid $600 shipped.  (The A2 is $1096 shipped direct from YS Audio.)

Martin

gkinberg

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2012, 05:15 pm »
I received the preamp on Thursday and stock it sounds very nice.  I only had a chance to listen to my Adele 21 LP, Audiophile Voices I and Abigail Washburn & the Sparrow Quartet FLAC via my Touch RCA outs.  I need to do some more critical listening to see what it brings to the table but so far I really like it.  It seems to give more air and warmth to the recordings.

I just ordered a set of four Robert Hovland Series SuperCaps (2.2μF/200V) to do the output cap upgrade.  The only other mod, for now, will be using one of my Pangea Audio AC-14SE power cables.  I may try different tubes later.  Any suggestions?

I found it on A'gon (I hated doing it but could not pass it up.)  I paid $600 shipped.  (The A2 is $1096 shipped direct from YS Audio.)

Martin

Martin, please keep us updated. I will be following your impressions closely. I'm suprised that I didn't see it. I've been following the used tube pre's pretty closely. Thanks for the disclosure.

Garth

mhconley

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2012, 06:39 pm »
I'm surprised that I didn't see it.

Not me... :D  It had just been posted with only about 20 views when I made my offer.  I just got lucky and saw it before you did.

Martin

mhconley

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2012, 07:54 pm »
OK – here is where I am with this preamp.  I really liked the sound out of the box.  It has added warmth and soundstage to my system and given it just the kick I was seeking.  Now I am ready to start tweaking.

After online research I decided to replace the tubes.  I purchased a matched pair of NOS GE 5687WB tubes and a matched quad of NOS RCA 12AT7 tubes.  I wanted Tung Sol 5687s but could not find any; the RCA 12AT7s were my first choice.  I also have four Robert Hovland series 2.2μF / 200V SuperCap capacitors to replace the WIMA output coupling capacitors.

I opened the case to replace the tubes and found the seller, who had stated they had a set of Tung Sol 5687s they would include for an additional $75, had left them installed.  Score!  I replaced the Chinese 12AT7s with the RCAs and let it warm up for half an hour.  I really, really like what I am hearing but am still trying to pinpoint what if any changes have occurred.  I plan to replace the WIMA caps this weekend then start some serious burn in and just enjoy the preamp.

I am extremely happy with my system and plan to live with this for years to come…

Martin

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2012, 12:15 am »
Martin,

Whatever Sunnydaze is using in his unit would probably be my first choice, since I really liked what I heard from his A2.

I've tried a few of the 5687 types and I think the Tung-Sol D-getters are the best 'fit' for this linestage, but I've never tried the Bendix 6900s everyone raves about. The RCAs are nice in the outer 12AT7 positions. You may want to try some Mullards in the central positions, which seem to be a very nice compliment to the RCAs.

At any rate, congrats on a great preamp. One of my favorites for sure.

~Greg 

mhconley

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2012, 05:23 pm »
Thanks for the tube recommendations.  The preamp running RCA and Tung Sols sounds fantastic.  My system has synergy beyond belief - Fritz's Carbon 7's are singing like they never have before.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I want to do the output cap upgrade but have a question and Nelson has not answered my email.  :(

The Robert Hovland Series SuperCaps I have are directional.  I believe current is flowing top to bottom through the caps in the photo below.  Am I correct?

Thanks,

Martin

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2012, 05:33 pm »
For 12at7 I'm using Telefunken for inner pair + Old RCA black plates for outer pair, and late 50's TungSol 5687.   Sounds pretty darn good!      :thumb:

Wallacefl

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2012, 12:23 pm »
For 12at7 I'm using Telefunken for inner pair + Old RCA black plates for outer pair, and late 50's TungSol 5687.   Sounds pretty darn good!      :thumb:
The GEN 1 Sonicaps are really very clean sounding caps and likely have more resolution than some of the alternatives mentioned above ie: I have been there on other projects. If you can spring for the $$ may want to try Mundorf silver/gold/oil. :D

mhconley

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2012, 11:15 am »
The GEN 1 Sonicaps are really very clean sounding caps and likely have more resolution than some of the alternatives mentioned above ie: I have been there on other projects. If you can spring for the $$ may want to try Mundorf silver/gold/oil. :D

The standard A2 I have has WIMA MKP bypass capacitors.  The photo above with the SoniCaps is of an A2-SE from Pacific Valve's web site.  I only used it to ask about current direction.  I have already purchased four Robert Hovland Series SuperCaps.

I did not want to go over $100 for all four capacitoors and even that is almost 20% of what I paid for the entire preamp.

Martin

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2012, 07:36 pm »
A few weeks ago I inserted a nice quad of ANOS Matsushita 12at7, gotten off E-bay at a nice price.  Didn't know much about them other than that Mullard helped set up their tooling and factories.  I've never heard a Mullard I didn't like, so that, combined with Japanese reputation for fanatical attention to detail and quality control, gave me a good gut feeling.

Followed my instincts and very glad I did.  Real nice tubes....my A2 has never sounded better.  Dead quiet, dynamic, smooth and open w nice harmonics, tone and detail.  Search these out if you have the A2, highly recommended!    :thumb: