"Rocky Mountain Special" HT3's

BradJudy

Re: "Rocky Mountain Special" HT3's
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2006, 05:15 pm »
Sounds like a good setup.  Maybe I'll try and hear one of the smaller speakers this time since I heard the HT3 last time.

It must be nice to have a shop where you can stumble across nice crotch mahogany while cleaning up.  :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2006, 06:15 pm »
I thought I might mention that we are building two additional pairs of speakers for RMAF.

The first will be a pair of HT2's. 

I happen to own a Tom Anderson guitar (one fabulous instrument!) that was done in a traditional sunburst color pattern over quilted maple.  Tom builds a small number of guitars each year.  Each is a work of art as well as a wonderful musical instrument.  If you want an electric guitar, you simply can't do better.

I recently purchased a batch of Western Big Leaf quilted maple for another project and decided to try the sunburst technique on a pair of HT2's.  It is turning out to be an interesting project and my hope is that the finish will be of the quality of my Tom Anderson.  Since this will be my first attempt at this type of finish, the risk is rather high.  But so far at least, I feel I can pull it off.

The other pair of speakers will be HT1's.  I had some very nice fiddleback plum pudding mahogany wood lying around just looking for a project.  Then, cleaning out my veneer storage, I came across some really nice crotch mahogany.  So I thought I'd combine the two.  It should be a very nice combination.

I'll keep you posted on our progress...

- Jim

Jim,

Would it look something like this:

George

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #22 on: 27 Sep 2006, 07:21 pm »
To drive all of Jim's speakers at the RMAF (we are sharing a display room) AVA will be bringing:  Ultra 550 amplifier, Ultra 350 amplifier, Transcendence Eight, Ultra SL, and Ultra EC preamps (all with remote control), an Ultra DAC, and a couple of Ultimate 70 tube amplifiers (one in a Dyna chassis, one in our near ready to produce AVA chassis).

We will also introduce a new OmegaStar Control amplifier, done in the big SL chassis, with an active preamp section.  First listening tests say it is dead quiet, got gobs of balls and dynamics, with a very likeable clear grain free sound, actually came out better than we were hoping for.  Sounds great driving my HT3s. Six sets of inputs, tape outs, headphone outputs, plus preamp out and power amp in jacks, and lots more.  Remote option possible, have not tried for a phono card in it yet, whether that will be possible is dependent upon how quiet it can work out, won't know for sure until we try it.

I am also hoping Jim can bring his set of AVA Ultra electronics as backups.

Most of the equipment we bring will be available for sale at the show so here is your chance to avoid our normal 4-6 week lead times.

Hope to see lots of friends there.

Frank Van Alstine

brj

« Reply #23 on: 27 Sep 2006, 08:15 pm »
Is there a distinction between a "control amplifier" and a "pre-amplifier," or are these meant to be synonyms?

Thanks!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 27 Sep 2006, 10:32 pm »
George, while the colors are the same, if Jim can do what was done to his guitar, than it will be WAY, WAY beyond what was done to those speakers you posted.

I got a chance to see the guitar this past Sunday, as well as some speakers he had finished.

I am sure they will look fantastic.

George

jsalk

« Reply #25 on: 28 Sep 2006, 12:58 am »
Jim,

Would it look something like this:

George
That is the idea.  But a classic guitar sunburst pattern starts with amber in the center, then fades to a rich red and finally to black or brown.  It is now 9PM and I just got home from the shop.  I was working on the dye job for these speakers.  It was more difficult than I imagined, but I think I am very close to nailing it.  I will check it again in the morning to see how I did. 

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #26 on: 29 Sep 2006, 12:58 am »
HT2 Update...

Well, this morning I checked out the sunburst finish on the HT2's I was working on yesterday.  Sometimes the best of ideas just don't work out very well.  The dye job was good.  But the speakers looked liked they belonged in a hippie commune back in the '70's (that was an actual comment by someone who saw them). 

Even though the technique worked well, it just wasn't a speaker I felt like showing.  So back in the veneer press they went for a complete re-do.  This time I will try a more elegant finish.

- Jim

TomW16

« Reply #27 on: 29 Sep 2006, 04:12 am »
Hey Jim,

It is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all. 

I somehow feel comforted that not every attempt by the experts turns out well, although you would never know it by the beautiful work shown here in the Salk circle.  I am currently building Dave Ellis 1801s and frequent this site for inspiration.

Keep up the great work!

Tom

jsalk

« Reply #28 on: 29 Sep 2006, 11:34 am »
Hey Jim,

It is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all. 

I somehow feel comforted that not every attempt by the experts turns out well, although you would never know it by the beautiful work shown here in the Salk circle.  I am currently building Dave Ellis 1801s and frequent this site for inspiration.

Keep up the great work!

Tom

Tom -

The more missteps we take, the better we get.  That is how you learn.  We constantly try to push the envelope, so to speak.  In the past two months I have tried two approaches I considered novel and both did not quite live up to expectations.  But every once and a while something works out and all the extra work is well worth it.  So don't be afraid to try and break new ground.

I have built quite a few pairs of Ellis 1801's over the years.  In fact, I am just finishing up five of them and a subwoofer for a recording studio 5.1 channel setup.  You will enjoy the fruits of your labor.

- Jim

Listens2tubes

« Reply #29 on: 22 Oct 2006, 09:45 pm »

BradJudy

« Reply #30 on: 23 Oct 2006, 01:02 pm »
This was definitely a beautiful and striking pair of speakers.  The cocobolo combined with piano gloss black and black drivers was a terrific combination.  If you're looking into Salks and have the cash to spend, the full length baffle and gloss black body is a great combination (depending on the wood). 

JoshK

« Reply #31 on: 23 Oct 2006, 01:24 pm »
I like the guitar looking HT2's...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 24 Oct 2006, 04:10 am »
This was definitely a beautiful and striking pair of speakers.  The cocobolo combined with piano gloss black and black drivers was a terrific combination.  If you're looking into Salks and have the cash to spend, the full length baffle and gloss black body is a great combination (depending on the wood). 

Agreed.  I'm considering changing to black sides instead of waterfall bubinga but my wife thinks I'm crazy to not show off the wood finish.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #33 on: 26 Oct 2006, 09:28 pm »
Hey Red, did you hear the Salk HT2s driven by our Ultra 70 tube amp at the RMAF?  Think about how a pair of them bridged (100+ watts per channel) would sound on your HT3s.  Cost you about $3000 for the amps and $900 for the Ultra bridge.  Its a pretty awesome combination here at my shop on these speakers.

Frank Van Alstine