Odyssey in Ontario

mclsound

Re: Odyssey in Ontario
« Reply #40 on: 6 May 2007, 10:55 pm »
is it really as good as pics? if so, yes!!!

Boogaloo

« Reply #41 on: 7 May 2007, 05:57 pm »
You'll have to ask Klaus, but I don't see any difference.

mclsound

« Reply #42 on: 10 May 2007, 09:46 pm »
well,my newest addition should almost be there(E me when they arrive please Mike)and Klaus should be back soon,so we can create the meanest pair of mono's ever to come out of ODYSSEY.These babies are going to go up against some serious competition,hence my new found name--THE BRYSTON BUSTERS.I am looking forward to blessing my studio 60's with some serious Ted Nugent,Blackfoot,and Molly Hatchet,and if they can't handle it, I will find me something that will!!!    the adventure continues??

bunky

« Reply #43 on: 10 May 2007, 10:40 pm »
well,my newest addition should almost be there(E me when they arrive please Mike)and Klaus should be back soon,so we can create the meanest pair of mono's ever to come out of ODYSSEY.These babies are going to go up against some serious competition,hence my new found name--THE BRYSTON BUSTERS.I am looking forward to blessing my studio 60's with some serious Ted Nugent,Blackfoot,and Molly Hatchet,and if they can't handle it, I will find me something that will!!!    the adventure continues??
I own a pair of Ref 100 v3's and my Original Khartago monoblocks were capable driving them to very uncomfortable Spl's. Brystons seem dry and clinical to me but some folks like them.you are in for a real treat.have fun....WCW III

mclsound

« Reply #44 on: 10 May 2007, 11:44 pm »
i am alabout trying different combinations,but if one works,why change it? i have alot to learn and will not stop till my ears say so.So as long as i indulge in audio i will keep in touch and tell how it is!!!!

mclsound

« Reply #45 on: 13 May 2007, 11:08 am »
it's good to see u back Klaus.my S.E.'s are in the Fedex truck right there &should be there Monday.

mclsound

« Reply #46 on: 15 May 2007, 08:45 pm »
well its a rain day,so now i am installing 4--15amp/hospital grade outlets ,the monos & HT-3 will get separate plugs.my wife shakes her head!!  Klaus wants me to measure voltage at outlets????

bunky

« Reply #47 on: 15 May 2007, 09:21 pm »
well its a rain day,so now i am installing 4--15amp/hospital grade outlets ,the monos & HT-3 will get separate plugs.my wife shakes her head!!  Klaus wants me to measure voltage at outlets????
Klaus wants to know the exact voltage that you are getting from your outlets so that he can fine tune the bias setting on each monoblock.power fluctuates quite a bit and if he knows what you have he can adjust the bias pots accordingly. :thumb:

mclsound

« Reply #48 on: 15 May 2007, 11:16 pm »
a solid sound u must have, how much load will they handle(2ohm??)(mono or X).

mclsound

« Reply #49 on: 19 May 2007, 02:25 am »
red boards,green boards,the difference is????exactly how old is the red board?? i now have tried to purchase a couple of different amps to complete my 7.1,funny thing is they all say ,"it's 2yrs old",but ends up being 3yrs or more..now my HT-3 is 2.5yrs old with red boards, u ask me anything about my eqipment and i will tell u the truth!!!!! i now know that u have to dig into the audio history of your product with the seller,because they act dumb!!!!!!! how can u buy $8-$10,000 amps and not know what u have???  i may not know it all,BUT i know what i want..so when someone acts dumb ,GRRRRRRRRRR,it's my money and i will protect my investment.

mclsound

« Reply #50 on: 19 May 2007, 10:15 am »
does anyone know the difference--red/green boards?

bunky

« Reply #51 on: 19 May 2007, 11:58 am »
does anyone know the difference--red/green boards?
Karl DL a Electrical Engineer friend of mine posted this on Jan 3 2005   Red boards look more "contemporary",Green are more "retro", my old Stratos got the "redboard" treatment when it was matched to a new second unit recently, curiousity got the better of me so i opened it up today and went searching for changes. the drivers were changed(2SD1763A & 2SB1186A) to(2SC4793 & 2SA1837) predrivers were changed (2SA1124 & 2SC2842) to (2SC4793 & 2SA1837) and the operating point of the input stage was changed (quiesent collector currents were increased by a factor of 250%) the drivers base resistors were increased which shifts the bias voltages around a little between the driver and predriver. bias and offset potentiometers were changed from single turn to ten turn which makes thier adjustment much easier( for Odyssey and us tweakers ) not having red and green in the same place at the same time, i cant say anything comparatively about thier sonics. i was happy with the green and now i am happy with the red.    Karl

mclsound

« Reply #52 on: 19 May 2007, 04:46 pm »
thank u for that response Bunky,sonics are just part of our adventures we take down the audio road. we also need a good investment,good looks and good managability.

mclsound

« Reply #53 on: 20 May 2007, 02:57 am »
just ordered NEW MONOS!!

mclsound

« Reply #54 on: 20 May 2007, 04:05 am »
my 7.1 Odyssey system is finally complete.  The first of a kind in Huron County. now comes the fun part,fitting them in my ent. unit.

mclsound

« Reply #55 on: 22 May 2007, 12:05 am »
does anyone stack their amps,if so ,how many and had any problems?

djbnh

« Reply #56 on: 22 May 2007, 01:56 am »
does anyone stack their amps,if so ,how many and had any problems?
Interesting question. I believe I've read in the Odyssey forum that stacking was ok.

An alternate point of view comes from Mr. A.J. van den Hul's website [FYI - once you click the link, you'll have to scroll down the page a bit to get to #3-1. Additionally, when the reader clicks the link and scrolls to the bottom of the page, you'll note topics are sequenced according to equipment category - there's a wealth of information on the site.].
Quote from: A.J. van den Hul
3-1  It is better not to stack equipment on top of each other

Electrical equipment plays better when all devices are put separate instead of stacking them on top of each other. One reason is that stacking causes extra hum due to magnetic (stray) field emission from poor quality transformers. Even the better types of transformers can produce extra hum in other equipment.
Another reason is that piling up equipment impedes the free flow of air around and through equipment, which for cooling is especially required with power amplifiers and class A operating devices. Too high operating temperatures reduce lifespan, also see 3-6.

So, there's different ways to look at this. I personally don't stack my Extreme Mono's, and others on the forums may do the opposite. Regarding the "free air flow" piece of the 2nd quotation, I'm not sure this is an issue with Klaus' mono amps.

Anyway, best of luck with your decision making.

Vr3

« Reply #57 on: 22 May 2007, 01:59 am »
Stacking the Stratos line up should be fine - 5 or 6 if you wanted to, with two massive heat sinks on each side ---- stacking them should make no difference since the heat is transferred out of the case.

mclsound

« Reply #58 on: 22 May 2007, 06:22 am »
now that is an excellent quote! although i may be in a small pickle for a bit and may not have a choice....it is 2 oclock in the morn. and i hear a slight buzzsound coming out of my speakers and all power is off accept my ht-3? i have recently installed 4 separate outlets.....possible ground loop?

bunky

« Reply #59 on: 22 May 2007, 10:21 am »
Stacking the Stratos line up should be fine - 5 or 6 if you wanted to, with two massive heat sinks on each side ---- stacking them should make no difference since the heat is transferred out of the case.
i think that even if it is not a heat issue you should give your monoblocks a little space so that the field generated from the transformers in one monoblock do not possibly interact with the other one and its circuits.talk to Klaus or Alex G and see what thier opinion is on the subject. thanks....WCW III