Two quick questions on the S7700

fly_fish_nz

« on: 6 May 2004, 06:43 am »
Hi,

I own a 7700, am considering having Steve mod the player, and had two quick questions.

For owners of the modded 7700:  I was dissapointed in the 7700 as a stand alone CDP until I made two adjustments suggested on AA: using the menu to change the filter to "slow" and to turn off the digital outs.   These two adjustments made a huge difference (though I consider the results average overall).  I was wondering whether others who gave poor reviews to the player had made these changes or not.  Also, I would love to hear from someone who has had the mods on how the player sounds as a stand alone with the mods and these two adjustments made.

For Steve:  what is the approximate turnaround on modding the 7700 these days?

Thanks!

audioengr

« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2004, 05:00 pm »
The turnaround is about 3 days now.

The mods can be tailored for the analog outputs instead of the digital.  The power supply mods do improve all the analog and video outs, but there is a lot more that can be done to improve the analog outs.  However, it is more complicated than the digital mods, so this will probably cost around $800 to do.  Op-amp replacement, Decoupling caps, DAC filter and Superclock are some of the things that are possible to improve the analog outs.

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2004, 06:27 pm »
Thanks Steve.  If I had the 7700 modded, my plan was to use it as a transport into either a stand alone DAC or the Troubadour digital amp from Spectron when it comes out later this year.  There would be a time lag though, and that's why I was wondering how the player sounded as a stand alone after your current mods.  

Would the $800 you mentioned include your current mods that are tailored for the digital out (since that's my goal in a few months)?

If you have a moment, it would be great to hear what you think of the modded 7700's analog outs (just your current mods) with the filter set to slow and digital outs turned off, unless your comments about the player as a standalone already reflected these settings.

Thanks again!

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2004, 04:27 pm »
Would the $800 you mentioned include your current mods that are tailored for the digital out (since that's my goal in a few months)?

If you have a moment, it would be great to hear what you think of the modded 7700's analog outs (just your current mods) with the filter set to slow and digital outs turned off, unless your comments about the player as a standalone already reflected these settings.

The $800 is a maximum estimate for just the analog mods.  The digital Turbomod is $830 with Jensen cap.  Together, they would likely cost around $1100-1500.

The 7700 with digital Turbomod makes the analog outs very listenable compared to the stock unit, but they still have some hardness and sibilance and do not match my PT DAC for dynamics.  This is what the additional bux would improve.

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2004, 06:02 pm »
Sounds reasonable.  Thanks Steve.