I had to post this...AXPONA 2023

Edward4

• I like vinyl; learning about tube amps...
Re: I had to post this...AXPONA 2023
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2023, 06:47 pm »
Interesting. Yes, I have some small single-driver speakers that sound pretty good (for the price) with just 1-2 instruments at low volumes (with a sub), but they sound awful for a symphony, at any volume. I assume it's because the paper driver can't wiggle back and forth fast enough to make all those sounds simultaneously.

Honestly I still don't really understand how a speaker driver or a turntable stylus works. It's so different from plucking a string on an instrument, which, as far as I know, mainly reproduces one tone at a time, plus harmonic overtones.

Imagine if you held a sharpie pen on a piece of paper, and I slowly pulled the paper away from you, and I told you to capture all the sounds in the room, at all frequencies, by wiggling the pen. I just don't understand how that can possibly work, even if the pen was real small. Sometimes when I place the stylus on a record, I feel like a primitive guy out in the jungle 200 years ago being mystified by being shown some piece of modern technology. It's just so weird.