Time Travel / The Time Machine (1960)

ajzepp

Time Travel / The Time Machine (1960)
« on: 28 Jul 2018, 10:33 am »
I posted a while back about how much I'm enjoying older films, especially on the FilmStruck subscription service. Well something got me wanting to check out some time travel flicks, which is one of my favorite genres. I came across this one on FilmStruck, and I ended up LOVING it. If I had been a kid in 1960, I have no doubt this would have been my favorite film.

I just found another one that is based on the H.G. Wells story, as well, starring Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenbergen from the late 1970's, called "Time After Time". That will be next on the list. If anyone has any recommendations for time travel films that are worth a look, please let me know!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Time Travel / The Time Machine (1960)
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2018, 08:30 pm »
Looper, Predestination and Prime are all great time travel flicks from the past few years.  Donnie Darko and 12 Monkeys are also solid. 

If you have Filmstruck, check out La Jetee (the French film 12 Monkeys was based on).  Time Bandits by Terry Gilliam is a more fun take on time travel. 

Synchronicity on Netfix is a well done, nasty little take on time travel.  ARQ on Netflix was also fun, but more action oriented than these others.

bacobits1

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2018, 11:05 pm »
"The Age of Adeline" is good check it out.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2018, 12:18 am »
I posted a while back about how much I'm enjoying older films, especially on the FilmStruck subscription service. Well something got me wanting to check out some time travel flicks, which is one of my favorite genres. I came across this one on FilmStruck, and I ended up LOVING it. If I had been a kid in 1960, I have no doubt this would have been my favorite film.

I just found another one that is based on the H.G. Wells story, as well, starring Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenbergen from the late 1970's, called "Time After Time". That will be next on the list. If anyone has any recommendations for time travel films that are worth a look, please let me know!

This was an awesome movie.  I  remember watching it for the first time on TV in the 1960's.  I think it stands up to the test of time today.

There was also this 2002 remake of it with Jeremy Irons

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268695/

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2018, 03:57 am »
One of my favorites as a kid. I loved all the HG Wells adaptations.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2018, 11:39 am »
A second for 12 Monkeys, I worked with the set designer of the time machine, interesting guy.  Time Bandits is delightful if somewhat flawed, I loved it regardless.  The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy has a lot of time travel components but not specifically a time travel centric movie, the British tv series is better.

Of course no one addresses the issue of space in time travel.  If you travel backwards or forwards in time for even a few years the earth will be millions of miles away in a different space.  Even a few seconds of travel may place you under the ground or in the air or inside a wall, as depicted in The Philadelphia Experiment, another good time travel movie.  Without being able to transport across space, time travel is inherently fatal.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2018, 03:04 pm »
Of course no one addresses the issue of space in time travel.  If you travel backwards or forwards in time for even a few years the earth will be millions of miles away in a different space.  Even a few seconds of travel may place you under the ground or in the air or inside a wall, as depicted in The Philadelphia Experiment, another good time travel movie.  Without being able to transport across space, time travel is inherently fatal.

That's why Dr. Who is a master of Space and Time!  Haha.  I never watched the original series of Dr. Who, but I am a big fan of the reboot.  It's a great blend of a lighthearted surface and deeper melancholy (and even tragedy) underneath the surface.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2018, 03:45 pm »
Without being able to transport across space, time travel is inherently fatal.

There's a great joke on the old Red Dwarf series. The ships computer makes a time travel machine (the residents are 3 million years in the future). It's a black box with a red button. When the dude presses it, they are now 3 million years back in time. The guy says nothing seemed to happen! The computer tells him, yes we are 3 million years back in time but we still in the middle of space, still far away from Earth!

Mike B.

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2018, 08:52 pm »
I saw the picture when it came out. I was a young man and fell in love with Yvette Mimieux.