CDT 8 Pro transport

JackD

Re: CDT 8 Pro transport
« Reply #20 on: 6 Aug 2018, 01:26 pm »
The CDT-8 Pro does in fact work with the Directstream Dac using I2S.  I have been using it that way for the better part of a week.  Haven't tried the other outputs yet and may not for a while.

mr_bill

« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2018, 12:36 am »
I2S can be used with other DAC but it was designed for future NuPrime products.  I heard that the I2S CDT-8Pro can be used with PS Audio.  It is best that you use the HDMI cable bundled with CDT-8 Pro to avoid using inferior HDMI cable.
Normally coaxial (other than I2S) should be the one to use.

Rusty, or anyone - I see that the Wyred 4 Sound Dacs have i2s input too.
Does  CDT-8 Pro work with Wyred i2s?
Thanks
Bill

JackD

« Reply #22 on: 11 Sep 2018, 01:29 am »
If EJ is using the same pin out as PSA it will work.  Here is pinout diagram that they have published.

https://wyred4sound.com/faq/what-dac-2-dsd-dsdse-v2-i2s-pin-configuration

http://nuprimeaudio.com/product/cdt-8-pro/?v=7516fd43adaa  bottom of the page looks at a glance as if it will. Best bet is to send EJ the link to the Nuprime pinout and get his opinion. 

largenmt

« Reply #23 on: 8 Nov 2018, 08:06 pm »
Does the CDT 8 play the redbook layer of SACD hybrid discs?

Samoyed

« Reply #24 on: 9 Nov 2018, 05:58 am »
Mine does.

hi5harry

« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2018, 05:14 pm »
When is the Black Friday Special? I want a new transport and your's looks killer! Just wishing.

Samoyed

« Reply #26 on: 19 Nov 2018, 05:39 pm »
It is killer!  Upsampling is neat. Contact John Casler, a great guy.

Chris Adams

« Reply #27 on: 19 Nov 2018, 07:26 pm »
It is killer!  Upsampling is neat. Contact John Casler, a great guy.

+1 :D

hi5harry

« Reply #28 on: 19 Nov 2018, 11:30 pm »
OK, that was the gentle push I needed. I sent him an inquiry. I ave been doing computer audio for the last 15 years , but it would be nice to have a  CD spinner again. Old habits die hard! I can't even quit spinning vinyl!

hi5harry

« Reply #29 on: 1 Dec 2018, 12:16 am »
Wow on all levels! My CDT8 showed up yesterday. Packed perfectly. It sounded great from the beginning. No glitches. Done, now we have a spinner just in case someone wants to hear a cd they brought over. BUT NOT THE END OF THE STORY. A day later it's sounding fantastic! I wasn't expecting anything near this. The different sampling rates do sound different and are just plain fun.  All worth a try. 16-44 sounds superb and I don't even own an expensive digital cable.  I thought I was buying this for convenience, but it's Audiphile great! I have had so many expensive transports that didn't even come close to this. And John Casler's service is first rate. Now where did I put those feet and fuses? CD spinning is fun again!

Samoyed

« Reply #30 on: 1 Dec 2018, 01:57 am »
Glad you like it!  John is the man. I’m waiting for word my Evolution DAC has shipped.  :duh:

AndrewA

« Reply #31 on: 1 Dec 2018, 01:32 pm »
Has anyone hooked one of these up to a Schiit Gungnir?

If so, can you tell us if the Gungnir clicks when Pause is selected?

From what I understand, different transports handle the Pause command in two different ways; one way makes the Gungnir click frenetically, the other way it's silent.

Samoyed

« Reply #32 on: 1 Dec 2018, 03:17 pm »
Never tried, and no clicks with my DAC 10.

hi5harry

« Reply #33 on: 1 Dec 2018, 09:54 pm »
 Now that I'm enjoying this way too much, I guess it's time to look for a new digital cable. Past transports I have owned favor either as/ebu or rca. It can be either, but usually one output is better Any ideas on which I should look for? Thanks in advance.

Samoyed

« Reply #34 on: 1 Dec 2018, 10:42 pm »
Don’t shoot me. I’m using a $20 blue jeans cable I got on Amazon. Lovely.

gab

« Reply #36 on: 1 Dec 2018, 11:08 pm »

Samoyed

« Reply #37 on: 1 Dec 2018, 11:33 pm »
I’m getting an Evolution DAC soon, and I’ll switch to the  hdmi thingy. Are you using their 75 ohm coax?

maxima95

« Reply #38 on: 2 Dec 2018, 12:14 am »
Now that I'm enjoying this way too much, I guess it's time to look for a new digital cable. Past transports I have owned favor either as/ebu or rca. It can be either, but usually one output is better Any ideas on which I should look for? Thanks in advance.

I prefer AES/EBU.  I am not sure it is "better" than SPDIF RCA, but the presentation is different.

You might also check with Jason to see if he feels one out is preferable to another.  You could also do the same for the DAC .

If you are still in a quandary, you might get (borrow?) an inexpensive AES cable comparable to your SPDIF RCA, and see which presentation you prefer.  Once you establish this, you can look for a better cable.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #39 on: 29 Dec 2018, 03:49 pm »
1. AES/EBU
2. BNC
3. SPDIF (coaxial)
4. Toslink (optical).

but I2S is on the top of list.  :green: