BDA-3 DAC

Georgios

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1020 on: 13 Oct 2018, 10:32 pm »
Dont really have to be Blu ray compatible, SACD and CD are the main purpose. And I found it’s not easy to be done for both in one player.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1021 on: 15 Oct 2018, 12:00 pm »

Klipschman70

« Reply #1022 on: 17 Oct 2018, 09:17 pm »
Hi

Just got myself a second hand BDA-3. While getting familiar with the unit, i checked some information from the web interface as well where i found these under Status page:

Status

Error and status messages:

USB INT is stuck
    EEPR SourcePar not init
    EEPROM check failed

Number of Flash Write Cycles:

Internal (PIC32MXx): 3
    External (25VFxx) : 47

Is there anything i need to worry about?

Thanks

audio.bill

« Reply #1023 on: 17 Oct 2018, 10:39 pm »
Hi

Just got myself a second hand BDA-3. While getting familiar with the unit, i checked some information from the web interface as well where i found these under Status page:

Status

Error and status messages:

USB INT is stuck
    EEPR SourcePar not init
    EEPROM check failed

Number of Flash Write Cycles:

Internal (PIC32MXx): 3
    External (25VFxx) : 47

Is there anything i need to worry about?

Thanks
I'd suggest sending these details along with the unit's serial number by email to Mike at Bryston - mpickett@bryston.com

The Rang

« Reply #1024 on: 18 Oct 2018, 01:26 am »
My BDA3 arrived at the dealer on Monday, but it will be Saturday before I can get in there to pick it up.
Torture ;)

Andreashifi

• hifi, stereo, 2.0
« Reply #1025 on: 21 Oct 2018, 08:13 am »
Have you tried the BDA3 out yet?

The Rang

« Reply #1026 on: 21 Oct 2018, 03:45 pm »
Not yet, picked it up at 3 in the afternoon, then out with family for an early dinner so no time
Later today for sure

The Rang

« Reply #1027 on: 26 Oct 2018, 03:29 am »
Is there a break in period?
So far it sounds OK but not nearly as smooth as the store unit I brought home for a demo

RobL

« Reply #1028 on: 27 Oct 2018, 03:23 am »
Is there a break in period?
So far it sounds OK but not nearly as smooth as the store unit I brought home for a demo

I borrowed my dealers unit to evaluate and then kept it till my purchase arrived.  The purchased unit out of the box was so close to the 2 year old unit from the dealer. No doubt some break in will only improve the experience but I’m surprised “so far it (just) sounds ok and not nearly as smooth. This is one awesome DAC. Hope it meets your expectations.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1029 on: 27 Oct 2018, 10:17 am »
Hi James!

I was reading the Stereophile review of the BDA-3 and noticed LG said the upsampling feature does not work on either USB or HDMI inputs. Is this correct?

Also, JA's measurements suggest BDA-3 has a user-selectable digital filter. Is this true?

One other thing not directly related to BDA-3, but what is the current MSRP for the BR-2 remote controller?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1030 on: 27 Oct 2018, 10:23 am »
Hi James!

I was reading the Stereophile review of the BDA-3 and noticed LG said the upsampling feature does not work on either USB or HDMI inputs. Is this correct?

Also, JA's measurements suggest BDA-3 has a user-selectable digital filter. Is this true?

One other thing not directly related to BDA-3, but what is the current MSRP for the BR-2 remote controller?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

Correct the upsample does not work on USB or HDMI (how many people do you think still tell me they hear a difference though).

The AKM DAC we use does have 6 different filters but we have chosen the most accurate one as the default position.  We have not implemented the option of switching between the other filters at this point.

The remote is $499 list.

james

gbaby

« Reply #1031 on: 27 Oct 2018, 04:18 pm »
Hi Antun

Correct the upsample does not work on USB or HDMI (how many people do you think still tell me they hear a difference though).

james

Placebo? :D

The Rang

« Reply #1032 on: 27 Oct 2018, 06:14 pm »
I borrowed my dealers unit to evaluate and then kept it till my purchase arrived.  The purchased unit out of the box was so close to the 2 year old unit from the dealer. No doubt some break in will only improve the experience but I’m surprised “so far it (just) sounds ok and not nearly as smooth. This is one awesome DAC. Hope it meets your expectations.

Maybe “OK” was a per choice of words. It’s much better than OK.
I should go back to the music I demoed with and it also occurs to me my system has changed rooms since then so the acoustics will be different (and this new room doesn’t have the dedicated circuit the old room had...something I intend to rectify)
Plus I believe my best listening happens on the weekends when I haven’t been subjected to the same amount of noise polution so my ears are more relaxed.

I have no doubt this DAC will meet my expectations.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1033 on: 27 Oct 2018, 08:58 pm »
Hi Antun

The AKM DAC we use does have 6 different filters but we have chosen the most accurate one as the default position.  We have not implemented the option of switching between the other filters at this point.

The remote is $499 list.

james

Thanks for the reply, James! That's really quite interesting!

Does the upsample work on USB with BDA-2 (previous model to the BDA-3)?

Cheers,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1034 on: 27 Oct 2018, 09:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply, James! That's really quite interesting!

Does the upsample work on USB with BDA-2 (previous model to the BDA-3)?

Cheers,
Antun

Hi Antun

No same for the BDA-2

james

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #1035 on: 28 Oct 2018, 04:26 am »
Hello, James.

There are 52 pages of posts in this thread, and I don't wish to spend an hour or two reading through them. Please tell me what is special about the BDA-3 DAC.

I use my Mac Mini as source, and usually stream Tidal. 98% of my music is CD quality.

Regards,

Michael

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1036 on: 28 Oct 2018, 11:36 am »
Hello, James.

There are 52 pages of posts in this thread, and I don't wish to spend an hour or two reading through them. Please tell me what is special about the BDA-3 DAC.

I use my Mac Mini as source, and usually stream Tidal. 98% of my music is CD quality.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

If most of your music is streaming and at 44.1/16bit I would say your MAC Mini would be just fine. The BDA-3 is more appropriate if you want to listen to higher resolution files and are concerned about ultimate fidelity available with those kinds of files.

I think the BDA-3 DAC does a better job at 44.1 as well but I think that is something you should audition for yourself. I am not a fan of the current streamed music as I do not find it to be anywhere near as good as a ripped CD or high resolution files Mastered correctly.

The BDA-3 DAC is optimized when it comes to jitter, noise floor, grounding and power supply design as well as dual DAC's for separate left and right channels. Also the BDA3 has a multiple inputs so it gives you a central position for all your digital sources to be played through a quality DAC.

The BDA-3 DAC has been compared and measured relative to DAC's costing many multiples of cost above ours and I think you can spend a lot more money on a DAC but you will not get better performance than the BDA-3  can provide assuming accuracy is what you are after.

I think though that auditioning it yourself is the best way to assess what benefits the BDA-3 would have in your system because as I have said many times - "if you don't hear a difference stop spending"

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1037 on: 28 Oct 2018, 12:05 pm »
Hi Michael,

I think though that auditioning it yourself is the best way to assess what benefits the BDA-3 would have in your system because as I have said many times - "if you don't hear a difference stop spending"

james

Amen to that.   :thumb:

R. Daneel

« Reply #1038 on: 28 Oct 2018, 03:31 pm »
Hi Antun

No same for the BDA-2

james

James, are you absolutely certain upsampling does not affect USB input on BDA-2?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #1039 on: 28 Oct 2018, 04:17 pm »
Hi Michael,

If most of your music is streaming and at 44.1/16bit I would say your MAC Mini would be just fine. The BDA-3 is more appropriate if you want to listen to higher resolution files and are concerned about ultimate fidelity available with those kinds of files.

I think the BDA-3 DAC does a better job at 44.1 as well but I think that is something you should audition for yourself. I am not a fan of the current streamed music as I do not find it to be anywhere near as good as a ripped CD or high resolution files Mastered correctly.

The BDA-3 DAC is optimized when it comes to jitter, noise floor, grounding and power supply design as well as dual DAC's for separate left and right channels. Also the BDA3 has a multiple inputs so it gives you a central position for all your digital sources to be played through a quality DAC.

The BDA-3 DAC has been compared and measured relative to DAC's costing many multiples of cost above ours and I think you can spend a lot more money on a DAC but you will not get better performance than the BDA-3  can provide assuming accuracy is what you are after.

james

Thank you.

I'll have a chat with the nearest dealer to ask about their auditioning policy.

Regards,

Michael