center channel for v2's?

rob_b

center channel for v2's?
« on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:07 am »
Hi guys, need a bit of advice and direction here.  I picked up a pair of V2's and have been enjoying then thoroughly.  As my usage is more geared toward HT applications, I have begun to think about a center to timber match the v2's.  Since I do not have the space to accommodate another in the center, I would like some advice on how to approach building out a matching center.  I'm assuming we start with the 8" coaxial, but where do I go from there.  Do I go open baffle if possible?  What about the woofers?  Powered or not?  I have alot of space to work with horizontally.  It would be replacing a 12" high center already so you can imagine.  There is about 2' of area from the ground to the screen.  The room is treated and I sit about 10-12' back. 
Thanks for any suggestions.
Rob

Jonathon Janusz

Re: center channel for v2's?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:33 am »
If you've got the space to place it, how about building another V2 with the lower woofers sitting side by side rather than mounted vertically - done that way should be right about at your two feet of space?  Even just the coax in an OB could be good considering it plays down to around 200Hz if your pre/pro has a crossover setting for the center channel that goes that high?

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:45 am »
Can you post a pic of your room?

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2012, 07:29 am »
I don't know but how about the same 8" coax just in a shallow H frame by itself, like the top section of the V2, maybe in a narrower baffle, the H frame being there just to support it and lower the baffle step loss from the narrower baffle, to match the V2?

I think they play down to 200Hz which might be enough for vocals, maybe that's all you need for a center?

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2012, 01:01 pm »
I built these for a guy with Danny's help and direction of being acceptable for sound..   see picture..   It is truly a good match...It is just a V2 Center....  I was mounted just under his screen on a small stand with a 10 degree tilt for the listener.

rob_b

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2012, 10:30 pm »
That is ineresting.  Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I don't think I could accommodate that underneath my screen.  I spoke with Danny the other day and he suggested a boxed version with 2 8" woofers flanking.  What do you guys think?  I would prefer it to be passive though since I have the amplifier power.  What are the differences to having it in an enclosure rather than OB.  Will it be too much of a sonic difference?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2012, 11:09 pm »
Well, I don't have any more of the SA-1 amps. So the OB design isn't going to work out to well. Other amps could be used, but the SA-1 was unique in that it had a transform circuit built into it that would mirror image the roll off of the OB woofers. With any other amp it wouldn't have much bottom end.

With the suggested 8" woofers in a sealed box on either side of the woofers you could use any amp to power them. Plus I offered those woofers at $25 a piece.

rob_b

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:47 am »
Hi Danny, do you have the 8" coax available as well?  What would be the dims of the enclosure should I move forward with this? 
Also, what about the crossover?

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2012, 06:43 am »
Hi Danny, do you have the 8" coax available as well?  What would be the dims of the enclosure should I move forward with this? 
Also, what about the crossover?

I have plenty of the 8" coaxial drivers in stock. I'll model it to get you some correct air spaces.

You will need to send it to me for me to design the crossover though.