ESL and 8" Servo Subs

Danny Richie

Re: ESL and 8" Servo Subs
« Reply #20 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:48 pm »
The MMG's are just about the right size for a pair of our servo 8's in a W frame, laying on its side, and mounted just under the speaker.

jparkhur

« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:51 pm »
Your right... I'll build one.. who wants to be the guinea pig and has a set of MMG's..  Lets do this. for Fun...  no cost, you get the stuff, we will experiment..   

JP

Who's in....

rsa

« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:40 pm »
The first option is not to do anything and leave the woofers uncovered.
The second option is to cover the woofers with the front stator (which is perforated) giving it a very clean look.
The third option is to use regular loudspeaker cloth to cover the woofers front.

A fourth option could be to use vintage-look loudspeaker cloth to cover the entire front. Inspiration from SteveRB's V1 - build thread.

Stewart

wagnju

« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:53 am »
What about upgrading a pair of Martin Logan Electromotion ESL and substitute the original ML 8" woofer with a 8" servo sub from Danny ?

http://www.martinlogan.com/electromotion/em-esl.php

I have a pair that I would be willing to maybe sacrifice , ....  :oops:

Juergen

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:02 am »
Your right... I'll build one.. who wants to be the guinea pig and has a set of MMG's..  Lets do this. for Fun...  no cost, you get the stuff, we will experiment..   

JP

Who's in....

hmm. Might be willing to dismantle my panels, PM me.

persisting1

« Reply #25 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:11 am »
hmm. Might be willing to dismantle my panels, PM me.

Didn't you just get your Magnestand?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:15 pm »
I'm looking at used planars - Acoustat or other ESL's and Maggies and have been thinking that when I make a purchase, I will replace the on-board woof with this 8" servo driver.  If, like the Maggies, there is no on-board woof, I'll do a couple of W frame servos.

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:25 pm »
What about upgrading a pair of Martin Logan Electromotion ESL and substitute the original ML 8" woofer with a 8" servo sub from Danny ?

http://www.martinlogan.com/electromotion/em-esl.php

I have a pair that I would be willing to maybe sacrifice , ....  :oops:

Juergen

I bet we can make that work.

wagnju

« Reply #28 on: 15 Nov 2012, 06:02 pm »
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2012, 01:52 am by wagnju »

wgallupe

« Reply #29 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:46 am »

JP

Who's in....

Hello JP

I would be in for some experimenting. I have both MMGs and N3TLs that I swap in and out of my family room. Currently, the MMGs are set aside while the N3s have the floor. Here's a thread with pics of the cabinets that Ruben aka Outofthewoods built for me. Reply #13 shows my cabinets before he shipped them out :

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96868.0

I would also consider setting the N3s on top of the 8" sub boxes. How high do you think they would be? Anyway, I would be up for some fun. If interested, let me know what you are thinking...

Regards,
Wayne

jparkhur

« Reply #30 on: 16 Nov 2012, 02:27 am »
Wayne. Where r you located. Mmg may the best bet.  N3. No

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:00 am »
The N3's would be a bit high setting on top of something like that. They can just be placed next to them a foot or two away.

wgallupe

« Reply #32 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:03 pm »
Wayne. Where r you located. Mmg may the best bet.  N3. No

I'm in central Massachusetts.

I figured setting the N3 on top of sideways W frames would be a long shot. As Danny stated the subs could be set along side the N3 (I assume vertically???). Anyway, I'm flexible with the MMGs. They are long out of warranty due to my own mods so whatever would be needed to adapt them for mounting on sideways W frames is no big deal.

What I find compelling about this opportunity is that I would get to compare MMG vs N3 with the same servo subs. BTW, Regardless of which of these speakers have the floor in my family room, they are always supplemented by a pair of older Mirage BPS150i subs each with dual 8" drivers in a bi-polar arrangement (not servo controlled).

My ultimate goal is to replace the Mirage subs with servo subs ;-) 

Regards,
Wayne   

jparkhur

« Reply #33 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:08 pm »
Ok,  I was think that we could use the legs of the mmg to sit on to of the w box, and then tie them down to that as they would sit on the top.  I need you to buy the four 8s from danny and the amps to go with and then send me the side to side measurements of the mmgs, to make sure the box is the same width.  We can go from there in figuring out mounting or sitting..  Black panels?  I'll spray the box blk satin.  Grills?  I'll see, probably not as the cloth will for sure not match and look funny.  Do we want to keep the 3 -4 degree tilt that the mmgs come with?  Thoughts.

JP

wgallupe

« Reply #34 on: 16 Nov 2012, 08:38 pm »
Sent a PM to Danny for parts quote. In the meantime, when you say side to side dimensions of the MMG do you mean with or without the trim piece? Please note that my MMGs are the older model with the 1" x 1/2" wood trim running full length on each side. This pic may give you an idea of what I mean:

Here's what they look like now after painting and reverting to the stock stands (set aside in the corner):

So, yes, black satin and black grills works for me. I don't think they will need to be tilted but that will depend on how high your boxes raise them. As you can see in the first pic, I had them raised at one time. About 6" I think.

Since I'm posting pics, thought I'd add one more:

WG

jparkhur

« Reply #35 on: 16 Nov 2012, 08:41 pm »
Ok are the parts. this older pair will work well, sit right on the tops, no tilt.  There will not be a grill, it wont match and look right, i'll spray the box satin black though to match and make an amp box too.  Figure out what the box top should be so that the mmg sits right on the box across front and back to the end of the metal foot.

Jon

Rclark

« Reply #36 on: 16 Nov 2012, 09:41 pm »
Didn't you just get your Magnestand?

I thought he just wanted the panel itself.. I could live without them for a month.

persisting1

« Reply #37 on: 17 Nov 2012, 03:37 am »
What about pairing the 8" subs with these mini ESL panels? It would be a smaller floor speaker.

ER Audio mini panels
http://www.eraudio.com.au/Mini_Panels/mini_panels.html

Here's the AC thread on them.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109771.0

HT cOz

« Reply #38 on: 17 Nov 2012, 06:08 pm »
One thing to keep in mind that Kim's Crescendo pannels can be tailor fit for this application.   He might even be open to building a 200hz and up panel that you can then build your own open pannel H frame woofer box basses and attach the stator as you see fit.

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 17 Nov 2012, 06:31 pm »
One thing to keep in mind that Kim's Crescendo pannels can be tailor fit for this application.   He might even be open to building a 200hz and up panel that you can then build your own open pannel H frame woofer box basses and attach the stator as you see fit.

Yeah, I am thinking that will be a great combo.