Mojave's LS-6 build

doug067

Re: Mojave's LS-6 build
« Reply #40 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:30 am »
Mojave, how do the X-overs mount to speaker floor. With supplied wood screws and a drill or do the base bolts double as x-over hold downs?? By the way I have no base bolts. Uh oh.

mojave

« Reply #41 on: 14 Nov 2012, 05:58 pm »
I screwed my crossover to the floor using #8 x 1" Spax panhead screws and a stubby screwdriver. These screws are self drilling and go in very easy. They are available at most hardware stores.

I didn't have any bolts for the base either. I have several pairs of bases and they require different bolt lengths. The bolt is 1/4" and I think it has a thread pitch of 20. I was only able to get 8 of the 9 bolt holes to line up with each base.

doug067

« Reply #42 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:07 am »
That's great. Just what I was looking for!!   :duh:Sorry you already explained how you did it eaerlier. In a hurry ya know.
 :thumb:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #43 on: 19 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm »
What are you using for a volume control and DAC in front of the Digital Amp Company Monos?

mojave

« Reply #44 on: 20 Nov 2012, 03:44 pm »
What are you using for a volume control and DAC in front of the Digital Amp Company Monos?
My signal chain is HTPC with JRiver Media Center > Steinberg UR824 > Cherry Monos. I use internal volume control on JRiver which uses 64 bit precision. With 64 bit precision you can do 100 million random volume changes of -100 to 100 dB and then reverse them with 100 million more volume changes and at 32 bits you will have the exact same signal after the 200 million changes as when you started. With any DAC of 32 bits or less, volume control digitally with 64 bit precision is lossless. You can push the volume down into the noise floor and the audible portion will still be identical to when you had the volume turned up all the way.

The Steinberg UR824 is an 8 channel DAC with balanced outputs (as you know the Cherry amps have balanced inputs). It has an ASIO driver (Steinberg originated the ASIO protocol) for automatic sample rate matching and lowest latency. I use channels 10-18 for output which bypass the internal mixer in the the Steinberg. Channels 0-7 route through the internal mixer. The UR824 was developed jointly by Steinberg and Yamaha and is manufactured by Yamaha. It uses asynchronous USB for connection to the HTPC. The UR824 also has a very low 75 ohm output impedance. This works very well with the low input impedence (10K) on the Cherry amps yet still gives a ratio of 133:1 for extremely low signal loss.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #45 on: 20 Nov 2012, 05:10 pm »
Are you a musician?  The Steinberg DAC seems to have infinate possibilities.   I still have to read more about the JRiver Media Center.  I'm still spinning aluminum discs.  I have much to learn in the way of a media center approach. 

I really like the Cherry/LS6 combo.  I'm using one of Gary Dodds Battery Preamps.  You might be surprised trying a tube in the signal path in front of the Cherrys.  Perhaps there is a stereo shop close by that can offer you a loaner.   Or someone in your listening group has one.   The tubed preamp has created a larger soundstage as well as front to back depth.  It has given the sound a more musical appeal as well. 

I can only wish I was into the DAC monos. 

mojave

« Reply #46 on: 20 Nov 2012, 05:48 pm »
I've played with the Omaha Symphony and the US Air Force Strategic Air Command Band, but I wouldn't call myself a musician. I was playing the handbells which probably rate as the easiest instrument to play.  :wink:

I haven't met anyone yet in my area that has tube preamps or amps. It is also more difficult to find a balanced tube preamp. I've thought of trying one of Gary Dodd's tube buffers. I have owned a Melody SP3 amp and did some tube swapping, but couldn't get it to sound as good as my Cherry Jr. That wasn't with the LS-6's, though.

I did find out recently that another audiocircle member lives near me and has Salk HT2-TL speakers with a BMC Audio Amp C1. We plan to get together to listen to each other's systems. I don't know what else he has.

TrungT

« Reply #47 on: 20 Nov 2012, 05:58 pm »
^^^^^
PM your email, I can let you borrow my tube pre.   :D

mojave

« Reply #48 on: 20 Nov 2012, 06:10 pm »
^^^^^
PM your email, I can let you borrow my tube pre.   :D
Done!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #49 on: 20 Nov 2012, 07:38 pm »
I love Audio Circle!  The Dodd Tube Buffer may not have the gain to power the Cherry Monos to the sound level you might like.  TrungT might be a better source for info on the Dodd for you. 

I do have some very low levels of residual noise as I'm not running a balanced pre.   The Doge 8 from Pacific Valve is balanced I believe.  It has been reveiwed well.  There are more balanced pre amps out there that are a good buy.  You have to look for them. 

TrungT

« Reply #50 on: 20 Nov 2012, 08:08 pm »
Balanced tube pre.    :thumb:

mikeeastman

« Reply #51 on: 20 Nov 2012, 08:13 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: on balanced Dodd tube buffer I have one I'm using with my Ncores and really like the way it sounds.

mojave

« Reply #52 on: 20 Nov 2012, 08:31 pm »
Thanks for the e-mail, Trung.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #53 on: 20 Nov 2012, 08:57 pm »
Let us know what you find. I'd be interested in what pre you used with the Cherrys.

TrungT

« Reply #54 on: 20 Nov 2012, 09:07 pm »
Stay Tuned.  :thumb:

mojave

« Reply #55 on: 10 Dec 2012, 07:58 pm »
Today I received in the mail from Trung a Dodd Audio balanced tube preamp! I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight.

To be clear, I currently have no premp in the system, I am just music server to DAC to amps. I will be inserting the preamp between the DAC and amps.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #56 on: 10 Dec 2012, 08:06 pm »
I wish I knew more about computer audio.  Just call me O.A.  Original Audiophile. 

Where does the sound come out?

mojave

« Reply #57 on: 10 Dec 2012, 08:52 pm »
I wish I knew more about computer audio.  Just call me O.A.  Original Audiophile. 

Where does the sound come out?
The speakers!  :lol:

Digital files from CD, DVD, and Blu-ray are all decoded and converted to pulse-code modulation (PCM) which are still digital signals. PCM can be transported to the DAC in a variety of ways (USB, Optical, RCA Coax, HDMI). In my case, it is transported from the computer to the DAC via USB where it is converted to analog. The analog signal goes to the amps and then to the speakers.

mojave

« Reply #58 on: 10 Dec 2012, 09:15 pm »
Here is a picture of the preamp that Trung had posted in another thread:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #59 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:18 pm »
That's a purdy Dodd.  Four tubes.  Does it brown the food?  Are those the 6H30 variety?