2 channel SACD or Redbook for classical?

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
2 channel SACD or Redbook for classical?
« on: 22 Nov 2011, 01:03 am »
Hi there;
I am getting more interested in classical music, and having fun exploring titles, labels, etc.   I have a 2 channel (stereo) setup at home with no intentions of pursuing surround setup.   Also, not planning on pursuing vinyl or computer based audio, just sticking with cd's.  So far I am enjoying titles from Reference Recordings,  JVC XRCD,  Telarc, some from Waterlilly, IsoMike, etc.   I have never heard an SACD in any form, and am curious about it, so..............
Is 2 channel SACD worth pursuing for classical music - is it that much better compared to a well recorded Redbook cd?   Also,  I see there are plenty of multi-channel classical cd's,  are those able to be played on a 2 channel setup and are those worth looking into as well?   Thanks to anyone who can respond with your opinions and help me sort this out.  :duh:

Ericus Rex

Re: 2 channel SACD or Redbook for classical?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2011, 01:21 am »
I only have a couple of redbooks that sound like my SACDs.  The most obvious difference is the added dynamic range of SACD.  The bursts in classical music are true to life.  The loud passages are not at all compressed.  A surprise fortissimo will knock your socks off.  Telarc's Pictures at an Exhibition was my first SACD and I was hooked.  No experience with multi-channel though.

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2011, 01:24 am »
I recently obtained a Modwright Oppo BD-83SE just primarily for SACD playback.  The SACD out can be set to 2 channel, so even if the disc is multi chanell, it plays 2 channel out.

The SACD out via the XLR from this sounds outstanding.  On hybrid SACD/CD discs, compared the CD out via a Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC against the SACD out from the Modwright Oppo, and the SACD sounds better.

However, DVD-Audio sounds better using the DAC over the Modwright.  Hope this helps a bit.

DTB300

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2011, 07:54 pm »
Like all the formats, each can sound great or sound terrible.  Being on SACD, SHM-SACD, XRCD, H2, CD, Vinyl, Tape, etc. does not guarantee great sound. 

To get a taste of classical and determine which era you will like (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, etc.) get a service like Rhapsody and listen to tunes to see which hits home. 

Two Channel is fine for Classical.  Do not go out an hear some classical in MCH playback....or you might just be buying more equipment!!!!  :)  I prefer Classical in MCH playback as you get the hall ambiance feel when listening - no gimmicks with instruments playing behind you, etc.

In the past (before Rhapsody and other services) I used to buy classical albums based on someone statement about it.  I quickly owned many albums that I did not like :).  Once I got Rhapsody, I quickly found out I like Baroque and Classical era.

You should also try out some of the Pentatone and BIS labels for Classical.

Here are some of my favorites, but again realize that these are for me and my tastes:

Robert Spano – Transmigration
Britten/Elgar - Paavo Jarvi
RCA Living Stereo - Sherherazade
Mozart Violin Concertos 3 & 4 - Julia Fisher (Pentatone Label)
Boston Symphony Chamber - Mozart Chamber Music for Winds and Strings
Haydn - The Fry Street Quartet - ISO-Mike
Brandenburg Concertos (1-4, 5-6) - Arts Music

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2011, 08:45 pm »
The best SACD's sound better than the best redbood CD's in classical.  On the other hand, there are FAR MORE redbook CD's and at a much cheaper price than SACD.  I listen to both.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2011, 10:12 pm »
The best SACD's sound better than the best redbood CD's in classical.  On the other hand, there are FAR MORE redbook CD's and at a much cheaper price than SACD.  I listen to both.
+1

Voice of wisdom there.

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2011, 10:24 pm »

+2

A good DAC can go a long way towrard musical enjoyment of CD with classical.  I really like the Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC plus with CD and DVD audio.  Incredible sound, espically with the tube out. 

I recently went back and played a old fav CD of mine (Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade; Debussy: La Mer )

It was as if I heard the recording for the first time.  The enhanced resolution from the DAC brought out just how good this old recoding really was.

I do think SACD with good playback equipment does sound somewhat better.